Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th May 2011 at 8:11 PM
Default creating bodyarmor: how to go on?
hi!

Im new to the modding thing, and decided to start a project which sounded simple (or at least I thought it was), but I am stuck and I dont know how to continue.

first: the idea: I love world adventures, I like sending sending my sims into the darkness risking life and limb for riches beyond their imagination, and I like to make sure they're equipped for the job. one day, I figured they could use some sort of protection in the form of body armour, you know from all the dart traps and pirates, bandits, mummies with miniguns . . . ok well mostly for the extra pockets to stuff loot in and the psycological effects (I would feel better going into a tomb wearing at least some sort of armor).

at first I tried just using the top gun flight suit from the military career, which has a very nice body armour-like vest with lots of pockets to stuff with ancient coins and other valuables,but also comes with a thick pants that might be great in a jet, but looks like it restricts movement on the ground. not to mention the torture it would be to wear those pants and a shirt with long sleeves in the scorching hot desert of al simhara.

so here is what I would like to do: I would like to take the flightsuit, and delete all but the vest, and then use it as an accessory so it can be worn over other clothes, creating an extremely versatile armored vest.

Ive downloaded CTU and milkshape (after searching the web for a way to do it with sketchup, where I do have some experience) and I managed to delete everything of the suit but the vest. so now I have a nice mesh, but no clue how to go on. could someone please show me how to go on from here?
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 18th May 2011 at 9:01 PM
Hi,

It seems like you had a similar problem as me when creating my jacket accessory a while back ago. http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=441100

What I did was clone the three hoop bracelet in the CAS tool (its fine that it's for female. You change it to male a little later on). Then, you copy the comments from the three hoop bracelet in milkshape to your mesh. Delete the hoop bracelet and export this as LOD0 after you got the bone assignment how you want and such. For me, I only made the bone assignment to Spine0 at 100%.

Then, you make your other LODs. LOD0 and LOD1 can be the same mesh, but LOD2 and LOD3, you need to bring the poly count down half each time.

In the CTU mesh box, make sure you only place the meshes in LODs 0, 1, 2 and 3. Do not mess with LODs with the _1, _2, and _3. This will give your accessory a strange texture.

See how that goes first, then once you get the mesh itself to look good, then work on the morph, then work on the recolor and rbg mask. I like to save the rbg and textures for last so I don't have to go back and modify them.
Sockpuppet
#3 Old 18th May 2011 at 9:26 PM
Is this for private use or do you want to upload it when done?
The game reduces the texture quality when a sim uses more then one accesoire and a jacket that big will look terrible then ingame.

If you still want to have a go you best use TSRW and clone one of the EP medals(they support morphing/sliders) as base