Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Aug 2011 at 6:05 PM
Default CTU and EP's
I hope that I haven't missed an answer to this but i've searched everywhere I can think of. Is there a way to show all the new clothing items from the Expansion packs in CTU? Everywhere i've looked it says that you can't (at the time of writing), but I was hoping maybe now you could? I can get them all to show in TSRW but prefer to use CTU. Other than Whiteriders tutorial on cloning EP content using S3PE I haven't found anything else about this. Does anyone know, even if the answer is 'no, use S3PE and the tutorial '.

Thanks in advance
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 12:42 PM
Use the tutorial

This is what I do when a new Sp or Ep is installed:

Open the fullbuild in S3pe, export all CASP to file.
Close S3PE !! Do not forget or you'll get an error message when opening a CASP file in CTU.

Enable the new Sp or EP in CTU following the tutorial from Whiterider.
Open a CASP in CTU->change the extension from 'Sims 3 Package' to 'Cas Part File'->click the tab Designs-> there is your new clothing item.

Now you can examine the new clothing from top to toe, and extract textures if you want.
Usually I also go to the Category Tab, and make a screenprint to help my failing memory.

If I want to change for example in what categories the clothing shows in CAS, I can change it now and use Save As to make a Default Replacement package.

Hope that helps.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#3 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 12:51 PM
Also S3OC now clones CASP type content - though we're still awaiting more feedback on whether it does it in a useful way

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#4 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 4:41 PM
Yesterday I tried extracting a Late Night CASP and putting it in the CTU CASP folder, and added a line for it to the CTU CASP xml with the appropriate information. I had already followed the tutorial to enable the EPs. When I ran CTU the outfit showed up in the dropdown list of CASPs, but the thumbnail was blank. (I think that would be easily fixed.) Extracting meshes worked, but the meshes weren't named the usual way - they had the S3-<type ID>-<group ID>-<instance ID> format with no part name or lod. Extracting textures only got the skin and ambient/speculars, not the clothing multiplier or mask.

Cocomama, did you use the General tab to extract textures or the links in the Patterns tab?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 4:46 PM
Thank you both for the replies.

Cocomama: I think when i've only done something once or twice from a tutorial I get a bit flustered and assume I must be messing up but following what you've said, it doesnt seem quite so daunting. Thanks again

Edit: have now seen CmarNYC's reply; I feel that I should back slowly from the room and leave this discussion to the experts! Thanks for all the help
Inventor
#6 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 9:08 PM
Your welcome Alfiemoon, glad it helped you.

CmarNYC, a General tab? Where?
I get the textures as always, under Designs->Textures->click/activate a texture and click Find->Export.
I extract the GEOM/meshes and the Morphs and usually also the textures/IMG in one go with S3pe.

Is there a special reason to put the extracted CASP in the CTU CASP folder? To extract the meshes I think or the thumbnail maybe, I never do that?

Inge, like with SimPE where you can extract al meshes and textures from the meshes you want to use all at once, but I already use S3PE for that.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#7 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 9:18 PM
Yes but it's not the same process and I still need testers please

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#8 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 11:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Cocomama
CmarNYC, a General tab? Where?
I get the textures as always, under Designs->Textures->click/activate a texture and click Find->Export.
I extract the GEOM/meshes and the Morphs and usually also the textures/IMG in one go with S3pe.

Is there a special reason to put the extracted CASP in the CTU CASP folder? To extract the meshes I think or the thumbnail maybe, I never do that?

Sorry, I don't have CTU in front of me and probably don't remember what the tab is called (I can use something for YEARS and not remember stuff like that ) - it's the first tab in CTU where you select the age/gender and the part. I'm talking about the Meshes export button and the Textures export button. I see you're using the Patterns export for textures and that apparently works. I find the Meshes export to be handy and there are people who don't like searching the Fullbuild so it's convenient for them rather than using s3pe.

I was trying to duplicate the way CTU handles the base game stuff; that was my immediate purpose in putting the CASP in the CTU CASP folder. Doing it that way I was able to go into the patterns tab and see the preview and the patterns, etc. the same way as with a base game part, without specifically opening that CASP.

Ideally I'd like to find some way to make the EP and SP stuff show up and be worked with the same way as the base game stuff. I could construct new xml, CASP, and thumbnails fairly easily but if the mesh extraction doesn't work the same I'm not sure it's worth it.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#9 Old 12th Aug 2011 at 9:54 PM
Unfortunately, just exporting the CASPs doesn't work with the currently available version of CTU. It does with the new version, I just have to nag Delphy to finally release the thing.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#10 Old 13th Aug 2011 at 3:29 PM
Ohhh, I'd love an updated version of CTU! Please add my nagging/begging to yours!
Mad Poster
#11 Old 13th Aug 2011 at 10:36 PM
Yes, seconding that! Please add my nagging/begging too!