Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 8:06 AM
Default Taking a piece from a larger object
I'm trying to make a single tile object of the Captain's Wheel from the Bon Voyage pirate ship, so I can place the wheel anywhere and they can still do the action "man the wheel". I've taken away all the pieces of the ship except the wheel, but it's still showing up in game as taking up the same space as the ship. Also the wheel is technically on a higher level than the ground, and I'm not sure how to bring it down to the floor. So,

A) How do I make a multi-tile object only one tile, and
B) How do I bring it "sim-level" and still maintain its animations?
Advertisement
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 6:10 PM
Tutorial: *Reducing* the no. of tiles of an object

I have not looked at the ship, but you might could perhaps move the wheel down in your 3D editor. Have you extracted the "man the wheel" interaction; that is, does the Sim still need to go up the ship stairs and everything else or does he/she immediately start at the wheel when your interaction starts?

I wonder though if it would be easier to clone a one-tile object other the pirate ship, replace the mesh with that of the wheel, and import/recreate the interactions with the wheel. I suppose it could depend if the wheel has any joints that need to be preserved for animation. Just speculating here....

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 10:37 PM
Awesome, thanks for the link.

They do still have to go up the stairs, etc. before they're at the wheel - I guess I had hoped shrinking it down to one tile would prevent that.

I had initially started with cloning a one-tile object, but since the wheel has its own animations then I instantly got lost. I'm sure this would be a quick creation for someone with more knowledge, but I am a beginner, after all.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 2nd Feb 2014 at 9:01 AM
Ok, new problem. I have it down to one tile and it's "sim-level", but now the sim walks a good 7 tiles away and then doesn't even pretend to interact with it. What a mess. I've attached the package file so y'all can see what I'm dealing with. Help?
Attached files:
File Type: zip  hmiller-captains_wheel.zip (4.61 MB, 7 downloads) - View custom content
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#5 Old 2nd Feb 2014 at 5:48 PM
In your "Interaction - Man the Wheel" BHAV, the first node is [prim 0x002D] Go To Routing Slot (0x0000,
no failure trees: False, ignore dest obj footprint: False, allow different altitudes: False)..
This is telling the SIm to go to a position according to global routing slots, which is causing the Sim to route so far away.

Instead, I would recommend you try [prim 0x001B] Go To Relative Position (Location: On top of, Direction: 90o right of the same direction, no failure trees: False, allow different altitudes: False). Setting the False Target to Return False instead of Error will allow the interaction to cancel without throwing an error if you were to cancel the action from the Sim's queue while he/she is routing.

I got a "Bad Object Array" error where the 'Test - Am I Playing Pirate?' BHAV referenced an object array when the OBJD(s) do not specify enough object arrays are needed. I haven't really looked at the ship to see why or how it uses an object array. You can either remove all references to an object array in the BHAVs or you can set the "number of object arrays" in the OBJDs to be at least one (or however many object arrays are used).

Probably wouldn't hurt to get rid all those extra OBJFs also.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th Feb 2014 at 11:55 PM
That did it, thank you!