Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Sep 2015 at 4:37 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 7th Mar 2024 at 12:17 AM.
Default Useful Links and Resources (for Building Ideas)
As the title says, post your useful architecture links and resources.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/index.php - A large discussion forum focused on but not limited to skyscrapers. Their architecture section seems fairly busy. Thousands of pictures of all kinds of buildings and building styles from all over the world. A good place to get ideas.
Advertisement
Theorist
Original Poster
#2 Old 24th Jul 2017 at 6:19 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 27th Jul 2017 at 8:19 PM.
I have this book, The Frank Lloyd Wright Companion, by William A. Storrer:

I also have it on CD:

This book or the CD has floorplans, commentary and usually between 2 and 5 b&w pictures of over 450 buildings by FLW, including some structures that have been demolished, like Midway Gardens.
Easily the best feature are the floorplans, which are very clear and easy to read and view. The hefty book can be picked up for as little as about $20 online. I don't know how much the CD costs nowadays, but used on Amazon shouldn't be too much. The book is big and heavy, so unless someone prefers that, I would recommend getting the CD, for ease of use. The info on the CD is identical to what is in the book, as far as I can see.
The floorplans, along with a few more online pictures you may find, should enable you to reproduce most FLW buildings fairly accurately for the Sims games.
I can highly recommend this resource - you won't be disappointed.
Alchemist
#3 Old 24th Jul 2017 at 4:18 PM
Okay that page is pretty cool, but I'm wondering if this is specifically for architectural discussion related links, or for sites like OHD or houseplans.com, too?

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#4 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 12:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Johnny_Bravo
Okay that page is pretty cool, but I'm wondering if this is specifically for architectural discussion related links, or for sites like OHD or houseplans.com, too?

I intended this thread to list any sources that might help someone to get ideas, become inspired or get actual houseplans for making Sims Lots. This also could include books, CD or other off-line sources, like the ones I mentioned in my previous post.

Which site are you referring to that is "pretty cool", the skyscrapercity.com site?
Theorist
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 1:20 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 25th Jul 2017 at 1:52 AM.
When I was a teenager, I used to go to the library and read all the back issues of Architectural Record magazine, a trade publication. This is not to be confused with the crappy Architectural Digest magazine, which is just a magazine about interior decorating. Nothing against interior decorating, but you're not likely to find the all-important floorplans inside Architectural Digest.

Anyhoo, Architectural Record is of course online now, and with a free registration they apparently give access to the entire online publication.

http://www.architecturalrecord.com/

Check out their "Houses" pull-down menu. Since they always feature recently completed houses, they are almost invariably of the modern variety.
They feature both residential and commercial buildings, although thankfully there does seem to be an emphasis on the former.

As an example, about a year ago I made a Sims 2 version of Oak Pass Guesthouse, featured here: http://www.architecturalrecord.com/...ass-guesthouse? (I'm not sure you'll be able to see this unless you're registered.)
I didn't bother with the main house, as it is way too big for the Sims games, imo.

All of their house articles include numerous views, as well as the all-important floorplans.
Anyway, a great resource for ideas, inspiration, or just plain Sims plagiarizing.

Edit: Having looked at the site for the first time in over a year, I see that they apparently don't always include all floorplans. Sometimes they only show the first floor, but not the second. Too bad, but it's still a good resource.
Alchemist
#6 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 11:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob

Which site are you referring to that is "pretty cool", the skyscrapercity.com site?

Yep. The layout reminds me of the old MTS, and after a quick exploration I found myself looking at German Neoclassical architecture.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#7 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 2:11 PM Last edited by Ferguson Avenue : 23rd Feb 2018 at 2:53 PM.
I recently discovered that the Royal Institute of British Architects has an extensive Online Image Gallery.
Their collection of photos for the Modernist Architecture Movement might of interest to some of you.
The search bar can be a bit fiddly when trying to find the right search terms to see what you want to see, but there is the option to factor in build dates and other options like that to refine your search that way. But seeing as there's over 95,000 images in the collection you can easily spend a very long time trawling its many treasures. The images aren't just of British architecture, they're from all over the world.
Theorist
Original Poster
#8 Old 25th Oct 2018 at 9:59 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 10th Feb 2024 at 3:22 AM.
Luciano Kruk, an Argentine architect in the brutalist style.
Theorist
Original Poster
#9 Old 10th Feb 2024 at 3:17 AM
Outstanding YouTube channel concentrating on the architecture of John Lautner, including floor plans and many pictures, interior and exterior, for every featured house.