Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jan 2014 at 4:42 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise
Default Base game runs fine, won't launch at all with expansions
So I recently got a new laptop with Windows 8.1 on it. I decided to install Sims 3 through Origin download (like I have with other computers). It installed, I fully patched it, and it ran fine. I was able to play for quite a while.

I decided to add an expansion (Generations, since I feel it's the least taxing), and it installed with no issues, but when I went to play it, the game wouldn't launch at all. No error messages, no crash-to-desktop, no "this program has stopped working", I click play, nothing happens at all. If I uninstall the expansion, the game runs again with no issue.

I took a peek at my event viewer, and it looks like every time I've tried to start the game with Generations, it errors at a file called paul.dll. The exact error log is:

Faulting application name: TS3EP04.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: PAUL.DLL, version: 4.1.1.19, time stamp: 0x4c4dcdca
Exception code: 0xc0000094
Fault offset: 0x0001bd7b
Faulting process id: 0x16c
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf1ca9e6028191
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\Packs\TS3EP04\TS3EP04.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\Packs\TS3EP04\PAUL.DLL
Report Id: 295c712a-889d-11e3-8258-a4db30cdb8c5
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I have no custom content, no mods. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Generations twice and this exact same error keeps appearing in my event viewer. Anyone have any ideas?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 29th Jan 2014 at 1:36 PM
It appears as though you have done everything correctly and it should work, the fact that it doesn't sounds like an EA issue. You should probably contact EA Support and see if that is an issue they are aware of and if there is a fix or work-around for it. Not even sure you can bypass anymore with Origin installed games, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try while waiting on them to reply. I might even suggest looking in that folder for the file paul.dll and move it to your desktop, then attempt to start the game to see if it works or not. Other than that I have no suggestions.