Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 6:28 AM
Motion Sick?
Now I was always the type to feel a bit green on long car journeys as a kid but I find I get quite nauseated when I play TSM for long periods of time especially when I play duel hero quests. I think the constant panning back and forth between heroes gets me.

I was just wondering am I the only one? If there are others (lol sounds like I'm seeking a support group) do you have any suggestions?

I love this game but after a while I feel like I need a lie down
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 6:51 AM
No, I honestly can't play much anymore because of that and well after my first few ambitions I'm dead tired of the game and bored. But the camera controls are awful and make my head spin. Obviously if you don't play for long stints of time you shouldn't have the problem, also I found that if I stop speeding through a lot of actions I didn't feel as dizzy. Other than that your best bet is to hope a camera mod is possible. In the meantime I think TSM will sit untouched for awhile on my computer.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 6:52 AM
Glad i'm not the only one, aye I guess we'll wait for a camera mod so I can lay off eating ginger in order to keep playing lol
Theorist
#4 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 3:49 PM
You're not the only one. My wife gets very sick playing TSM, though she never had a problem with TS2 or TS3. She can't play 3D FPS games without getting sick either.

I have no problems though, I must be lucky like that.

Resident wet blanket.
Test Subject
#5 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 4:07 PM
i get a bit quesy sometimes too with all the camera panning.. but i've gotten used to just closing my eyes when i know its about to happen and make liberal use of the pause key while its doing so
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#6 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 4:15 PM
One thing that can help some with motion sickness when playing games is sitting further back from the screen, so there's a wide border of not-game around the edges of your vision. If you can't do that comfortably, run the game in a window at a lower resolution than normal, so you have a border of a little bit around all the edges of the screen.

Motion sickness is usually due to a mismatch of what your eyes are seeing vs. what you're actually feeling, movement-wise. So in a car, you're bumping and swaying around with the motion of the car, but relative to the car, everything's still, and it makes you queasy. In a game, the game is moving but you're staying still, so that mismatch makes you queasy.

I get this a LOT with first person games and to a degree I got it when I was playing TS3 and doing a lot of collection stuff, clicking around and moving the camera to look for rocks and bugs and whatnot.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 6:32 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I recently got myself a 21" widescreen monitor and the whole being too close thing hadn't really crossed my mind, but I suppose with the larger viewing area it's bound to make things worse in that respect.

I'll push it back a bit, might also help with my square eyes
transmogrified
retired moderator
#8 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 6:08 PM
Apparently a weak constitution is my fatal flaw, because this game is giving me vertigo. When it started earlier this week, I thought I was just sick because I've never experienced any kind of motion sickness before. I played WA quests for hours without any ill effects, switching off between two Sims on different quests (my married adventurer/scholar couple...oh, 2009, where did you go?). I have to assume it's the watcher's axis that's doing me in. That, and the rapid pan when you select a location from the menu. I don't notice any ill effects when I'm playing; instead, the woozy sensations start when I leave the game. A regular play session for me is somewhere between 1-2 hours, and the dizziness lasts for about 6 hours. Not a good ratio.

I'm feeling fairly grumpy about having to be an adult when I want to annex virtual territories.
Test Subject
#9 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 6:21 PM
I've yet to get motion sickness from playing this game, or anything game, which is surprising since my Mom can't being me home from college without bringing something to knock me out. I get very car sick.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 6:39 PM
I have never had any motion sickness in my life (my brother on the other hand...) but I was playing this last night and it made me quite woozy. Like mangaroo said, for me it's the rapid pan and the watcher's axis, but it's also the bumpy movement when they're going from place to place. I kept having to look away lol.
Test Subject
#11 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 9:27 PM
I have bever been motion sick ever, yet when I first booted up TSM and was trying to adjust the camera I did feel sick. But mainly because I wasn't expecting it to whizz around so quickly. @_@
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 10:00 PM
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who experience this.

TSM makes me feel queasy after playing for too long. I also experience the same when I'm building/designing in TS2 or TS3.
Instructor
#13 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 10:15 PM Last edited by sayyadina : 31st Mar 2011 at 10:36 PM.
TS3 made me dizzy and for days when it first came out. I dont have that with TSM so much, cause I learned from TS3 not to look at the screen at all when I jump between sims/locations. It also gets worse with a bigger screen IMO. I played TS1 and TS2 for hours every night of the week and never felt anything from that (other than fatigue ) Now I can play TS3 for two hours straight without problems, but never for more than three days in a row, so I basically only play once a week on sundays. I noticed that TS3 affected my sleep and attensionspan negatively also. TSM is a bit easier on the brain cause the neighbourhood is smaller, or thats how I feel anyway, but its awful when you click "go location" and make a wicked somersault and land on a roof.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. "
Test Subject
#14 Old 1st Apr 2011 at 12:24 AM
Keeping an eye closed or even getting an eye patch works too, but you have to be pretty dead-set on playing in order to justify the hassle/cost.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 1st Apr 2011 at 12:56 AM
I never get this with TS3. I think there's less jumping and swooping in that there is in TSM.
Test Subject
#16 Old 2nd Apr 2011 at 12:50 AM
I've got it too.....The first time I play I had to stop because I got dizzy and sick.....the way the camera is controlled maybe???? I still get sick or dizzy when playing but not as much as the first time I played.....that was awful.
Forum Resident
#17 Old 2nd Apr 2011 at 7:59 AM
The problem with putting distance between myself and the screen is it absolutely makes no difference for people like me who have tunnel vision. No matter how hard I try, I can't play a game for too long because of it, and my nearsightedness. So I just started cutting down my play times for the sake of my eyes, and my tummy. I really think it still has something to do with the game though, but I don't think it's the reason why is exactly what everyone keeps bringing up. I realized unlike Sims 2 and the Sims 3, the Sims Medieval is sooo much more physically and mentally involving and demanding. I had a really hard time pulling myself away, which is weird 'cause I don't usually have an addictive personality...

...I dunno, I guess it puts me in a trance or something.

O.O

Then again, this isn't a bad thing either. This means they made a game that pulls it's player in so much, it actually physically affects you. Which is really all we want right? It's like an IMAX experience.

>.<
Test Subject
#18 Old 2nd Apr 2011 at 9:05 AM
Not getting motion sick but my hand is really sore

I complained to my b/f and he said I was full of it. Sure enough now his hand is also hurting

Quote:
Then again, this isn't a bad thing either. This means they made a game that pulls it's player in so much, it actually physically affects you. Which is really all we want right? It's like an IMAX experience.

Directors and DPs actually avoid that when ever possible. There's like a whole industry devoted to preventing movies from doing that; getting nausea from the motions of the camera. It's like a big no-no in the motion photography industry.

Here it's a case of bad interface design, my hand shouldn't be getting sore
Forum Resident
#19 Old 2nd Apr 2011 at 2:47 PM
Well no matter how hard they try, IMAX movies still make me sick. Especially the 3D variety. Then again, like I said, I do have tunnel vision.

Maybe your hand is sore because of the camera tilt option which is for some dumb reason only accessible by using the middle mouse button. This is the reason why mine began to hurt anyway. So much actually, I'm thinking I'm going to go out and buy a new mouse so I don't ruin my hand. I did put a wrist rest under my wrist though, and it did alleviate some pain, but not much.

I also spend alotta time on the computer, so the unwieldy game controls could just be bringing up an underlying problem I already had.

God, now that I think about it, I think this game is dangerous.

o.O
Test Subject
#20 Old 2nd Apr 2011 at 5:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by singing_Noel
Maybe your hand is sore because of the camera tilt option which is for some dumb reason only accessible by using the middle mouse button.

Yeah that and the camera sometimes getting stuck on walls or wanting to spring back.

So eagerly awaiting a mod that unlocks the camera.