Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Nov 2013 at 12:27 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Neighbourhood Won't Open After Installing on New Machine
I recently bought a new computer and I transferred my Sims 2 folder over to it and now my main hood won't open. Like, the game just stops running and quits. I don't even get the famous, "The application has crashed; The application will now terminate" message. I started a new neighbourhood and it loads just fine. I never had problems like this on my old computer and I'm not really sure how to even start fixing the problem.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 28th Nov 2013 at 12:44 AM
Do you have the same EPs on your new computer as you did on the old? What about patches, and Store edition? Same CC?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Nov 2013 at 1:04 AM
Yep, same everything. I may not have had Store edition though. Honestly I'm not sure, and I can't check. It loaded a custom University, though.
Site Helper
#4 Old 28th Nov 2013 at 2:04 AM
If you open your neighborhood with SimPE and find the VERS record, we can find out which game engine was used to create your neighborhood.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Nov 2013 at 6:50 PM Last edited by cancerously : 28th Nov 2013 at 7:50 PM.
Well, that brings me to another problem. I can't get Microsoft NET 2.0 to install. I tried 4.5 too and it almost installed and it kept giving me a "system error" and I thought it may have worked when it told me to restart my machine, but my Sims2Pack files still aren't working as they should. So since I don't have that, I can't use SimPE either. I'm on Windows 7 and my last machine was also Windows 7 and I don't remember having this much trouble getting it to install so I'm at a loss in that area as well.

Edit: I decided to try SimPE anyway and it worked. The VERS group is 0xFFFFFFFF, the instance (high) is 0x00000000, and the instance is 0x00000001 (1).

I have no idea what that information means.
Site Helper
#6 Old 28th Nov 2013 at 8:18 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 28th Nov 2013 at 8:29 PM.
I'm interested in what you see in the Plugin View when you select that record.

The version will be in plain text, for example: "The Sims 2 Mansion and Garden" or "The Sims 2 Store Edition".

Also, can you open other neighborhoods, like Pleasantview?

You might want to give us your new Game Help:System Specswiki, so that we can see whether your computer is capable of running the game.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Nov 2013 at 9:36 PM
It says Store Edition.

I don't have other neighbourhoods but I can load Downtown, vacation destinations, etc. that are connected to my main hood and I can load them when they're connected to a new neighbourhood I created on this new computer.

I have a GTX 765M graphics card with 16GB of RAM and an i7-4600MQ processor.
Site Helper
#8 Old 29th Nov 2013 at 1:43 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 29th Nov 2013 at 2:27 AM.
Then your neighborhood will need the version of the Store Edition which was used to create the neighborhood.

If you downloaded the Store Edition from EA, or if you allowed EA to auto-update your Store Edition, you will need to find some way to get the proper version of the Store Edition. Unfortunately, the Store Edition is not easily available anymore.

First, see whether you have any version of the Store Edition available in any of your collection packs. If so, you could try installing that version (or the latest version if you have more than one). If that doesn't work, then try contacting EA and asking them for access to the Store Edition through your Origin account. Explain that you do not have access to your existing neighborhoods without that SP. As a last resort, the Store Edition included with Fun with Pets should work for all neighborhoods created using any version of the Store Edition. That is, if you can get a copy of Fun with Pets which includes the Store Edition....

Along with the text in the VERS record, you should see a version number. If you post that version number, we may be able to determine which version of the Store Edition you require.