Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jun 2016 at 12:59 AM
Extracting building models from Google Earth and Converting them to Sims 2 Neighborhood Decoration Objects? Help?
i'm looking for someone who might have experience with doing this and who might be able to help me figure out how to do this.
im making a sims 2 horror movie that takes place in Charlotte North Carolina, and what I'm trying to do is rip the 3D building models from google earth so i can import them into milkshape 3D and make them into neighborhood decoration objects for the sims 2, but i can't figure out how to do it.

i tried using one program called "3D Ripper DX' which i managed to capture an obj file from google earth, but when i tried importing it into milkshape, it did not work... as in nothing happened in milkshape at all. Does anyone know how i can do this?

i have a couple pictures of the main buildings i wanted to put in the sims 2 but I really would want ALL the buildings from charlotte NC but i don't know how to rip them from google earth or how to get them to import into milkshape
Can someone please help me?
ALSO this isn't a request at all, i want to learn how to do this myself so i can do it again for my future projects.

Advertisement
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#2 Old 16th Jun 2016 at 3:55 AM
Are you sure MilkShape wasn't responding? I ask because if meshes are really high poly it can take a while for MilkShape to load them. While I'm not sure how high poly these ripped models might be and can't imagine something so boxy would be high poly - I do know that something so boxy CAN be high poly. If those are huge, high poly models it just might be taking a while for them to load.

That said, I have no idea how the program you're using works. Are you sure it's actually exporting something? (If the file size isn't 0, I'm sure it is but you never know.)
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Jun 2016 at 8:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
Are you sure MilkShape wasn't responding? I ask because if meshes are really high poly it can take a while for MilkShape to load them. While I'm not sure how high poly these ripped models might be and can't imagine something so boxy would be high poly - I do know that something so boxy CAN be high poly. If those are huge, high poly models it just might be taking a while for them to load.

That said, I have no idea how the program you're using works. Are you sure it's actually exporting something? (If the file size isn't 0, I'm sure it is but you never know.)

well milkshape does respond after. it's not like it freezes up or crashes or anything but it's not importing the obj file at all. after i imported it in i saw nothing on the screen at all. even after i waited 5 minutes and it didnt seem as anything was loading up.

by the way, is there a limit on how many polys a file can have when u try to load it up on milkshape? just wondering.

3D Ripper DX is apparently supposed to be able to rip 3D models from an application.
also, would you like for me to attach the wavefront obj file so you can examine it?
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th Jun 2016 at 8:48 PM
umm, perhaps there's an alternate way of doing this?.. may someone please enlighten me?
has anyone ever done this before?