Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jan 2020 at 12:18 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage
Default TS2 Super Collection: How To Install Gunmod’s Radiance Lighting System 2.5
Hey there! I just installed The Sims 2 SUPER COLLECTION from the Mac App Store and I want to install Gunmod's radiance lighting system 2.5, but I don't know how to do it. If anyone could help me with this, I would really appreciate it!

Link to Gunmod’s Radiance Lighting System 2.5: https://dreadpirate.tumblr.com/post...tem-25-now-with
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 12th Jan 2020 at 4:04 AM
Well, the instructions are pretty clear (follow from step 2 since you don't have the UC). You just have to substitute the PC/Windows folder paths for the same locations on your Mac (find the install location and the location of the saved game). Can't guarantee it will work, but unless EPs above BV are required (The Super Collection is only up to BV), I can't see how it can't be compatible (it basically changes the lighting files and adds cheats to the Userstartup file).

Thw mod doesn't say whether you need any particular EPs for it to work properly, but there is a risk, so be sure to read the info regarding the other required/incorporated mods.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Jan 2020 at 7:09 PM
I've tried, but I still don't know where to find all the folders at. I know it works because I've seen a YouTuber have it on one of their videos, but they never explained how they got it on the Super Collection, they just mentioned that they had it. I'm afraid to mess up my game, so if anyone who has the Super Collection and knows how to install it properly could explain it for me with the correct folder paths, I would really appreciate it.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 12th Jan 2020 at 7:44 PM
It looks like the file path for the saved game (location of Downloads folder) is this one:
~/library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Aspyr/The Sims 2/Downloads

- For reference, PC location for non-UC games is C:\Users\*username*\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads

-----

and for the installed game location:
Open the Applications folder, then RIGHT CLICK "The Sims 2", and select "Show package contents"
Navigate then to Contents/Home/*not sure if there are EP folders*/TSData/Res/*rest of path*

- For reference, the PC folder is something like C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\*EP folder*\TSData\Res\*folders* which is where you'll usually put files)

----

I don't know how the Super Collection is set up, whether it's by EP or some other form, but maybe a Mac user can take it from here?

Also, if you replace any files, make sure to take note of which ones you edited, and take a backup of them before replacing, just in case the mod isn't compatible and you want to reset your game without having to reinstall.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 18th Jan 2020 at 4:10 PM Last edited by muridae : 19th Jan 2020 at 1:08 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
I don't know how the Super Collection is set up, whether it's by EP or some other form, but maybe a Mac user can take it from here?

Sims 2 Super Collection organises by EP/SP, with only the Base Game having a different structure. It’s easy enough to find everything by exploring the package, and you get dire warnings and prompts to enter your admin password if you try to change anything, so it’s difficult to break it unintentionally. Definitely back up before making any changes though.

I’m afraid I’ve never bothered to add any lighting mods, so I can’t help with specifics, but I just wanted to add a word of warning: Mac shaders are not the same as Windows shaders. Criquette released 2 different versions of Better Nightlife, one for Windows and one for Mac, and Nopke did the same thing for Skyfix 2. I see that the updated version of Gunmod’s Radiance Lighting that you’ve linked to includes code from both - as that’s likely to be the Windows code you might well find that it’s incompatible with the Mac game.

ETA:

Graphic Rules.sgr for Sims 2 Super Collection also has a lot of different settings from the Windows version. If you want to adjust that, the copy the game actually uses is in Content/Resources/Config. Ignore all the other versions of the file you might find - they seem to be leftover Windows resources that didn't get removed.

And just in case you want to try, locations are as follows:

Base Game: Contents/Home/TSData/Res/Lights
EPs/SPs: Contents/Home/Expansion Packs/EXPANSIONNAME/TSData/Res/Lights
Config: ~/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Aspyr/The Sims 2/Config

ETA2:

And if you've updated to the 64-bit version (1.2.4), released on 13 January, then the paths change again:

Base Game: Contents/Assets/TSData/Res/Lights
EPs/SPs: Contents/Assets/Expansion Packs/EXPANSIONNAME/TSData/Res/Lights
Mad Poster
#6 Old 29th Feb 2020 at 2:18 PM
@aidansays

In case you still want a version of the lighting mod, there's an installation overview for the Super Collection here (not sure if 2.5 works, this is for 2.4) - http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...0;topicseen#new

Not sure if 2.4 is up at MTS, but here it is on insim: http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...0;topicseen#new
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 1st Mar 2020 at 12:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
@aidansays

In case you still want a version of the lighting mod, there's an installation overview for the Super Collection here (not sure if 2.5 works, this is for 2.4) - http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...0;topicseen#new

Not sure if 2.4 is up at MTS, but here it is on insim: http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...0;topicseen#new

Oh well I based my directions on 2.4 because that is the latest version on MTS and that is the version I downloaded.
http://modthesims.info/d/290746/gun...-4-4-29-09.html

Edit:
I went and looked at dreadpirates version and I remember why I didn't use 2.5 now and that is because I didn't like all of the stuff that dreadpirate did and just wasn't sure if I wanted it, so I didn't download that version. I went with the 2.4 version, because I trusted it more basically.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Test Subject
#8 Old 30th Oct 2023 at 10:07 PM
The link to Gunmod's radiance ligth 2.5 appears to be active still, but the download link is no longer working, does anyone here have a copy to spare? I'd like to try it but it looks like the tumblr account hasn't been active ina long time
Mad Poster
#9 Old 30th Oct 2023 at 11:06 PM
Dreadpirate's version? The download (Mediafire link) worked fine for me. It auto-downloads, so if you're having trouble, try right-clicking and do "save link as".
Test Subject
#10 Old 24th Nov 2023 at 9:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dellesims
The link to Gunmod's radiance ligth 2.5 appears to be active still, but the download link is no longer working, does anyone here have a copy to spare? I'd like to try it but it looks like the tumblr account hasn't been active ina long time

I had the same issue. My solution was to right-click on the download link, click "copy link address" and paste it into the URL bar of a new tab. I hope this works for you too.