Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Undead Molten Llama
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Dec 2014 at 7:32 AM
Default Making a career reward's interactions autonomous
Hi! Total n00b here when it comes to anything like modding!

I have Sophie-David's mod that makes the career rewards buyable. So, I use the punching bag on many lots both residential and community. Thing is, Sims won't interact with it autonomously because autonomy is turned off on the object. For personal use only, I'd like to change this so that Sims will interact with it autonomously, so that if I put them in a community lot gym they'll be used by visitors or if I put them on a residential lot, Sims will use them when they're free-willing. I know how to do this -- and have done it successfully, including setting/tweaking the advertising -- with a custom object that I can just open in SimPE, but I don't know how to do it with a Maxis object.

I'm thinking I'd need to clone the punching bag to accomplish this. In fact, I did make a clone of it in order to look at its autonomy/advertising settings, which is how I know for sure that it's non-autonomous. My question is, if I don't change anything aside from the values in the TTAB thingy for autonomy and advertising on the clone, do I have to put it on a new GUID for it to work properly? Or can I just stick the .package file in my Downloads folder without changing anything else? I really don't care if doing that will result in overwriting the original object. In fact, I'd prefer that, so long as the object will then be autonomous and work properly, given that it's for my use only.

Or would it be a completely different process, which would likely all go way over my head? Any help/advice would be appreciated. I might just screw around with it and find out what happens in the meantime, but it'd be nice to know if what I'm thinking will work before I frustrate myself too much.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Dec 2014 at 10:57 AM
One question first..can you open the .package file you downloaded and look inside, if you could change the values there ?
The Sophie David's one(s)
I have this download, but didn't unzipped it yet..I could look at it, too.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Undead Molten Llama
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Dec 2014 at 11:02 AM
No, I tried that. Unfortunately, the mod only serves to make the objects buyable. The objects aren't actually included in it, so there's nothing to modify.

I did try my idea in my initial post, trying out my little clone in a testing neighborhood. Unfortunately, it made it so that the punching bag didn't appear in the game at all. So, that notion was wrong. Beyond that idea, I got nothin'. I just don't know enough about this stuff, alas.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 28th Dec 2014 at 11:03 AM Last edited by Rosebine : 28th Dec 2014 at 11:53 AM.
Hang in there..me investigates...
Ok..so I made it buyable first, to test it..as I do not want the CC in my game.
So far it showed up..but i think I forgot to edit the resources I have extracted..doh..so me goes back, to test.

As I was expecting, I had forget to change the 64 to 32..so i did, but no one tried it..even after I lower their fun motives.
Needs more testing!!
Maybe this item is not set to be very attractive?

Scholar
#5 Old 2nd Jan 2015 at 9:09 PM
I know how to do this. What you're going to do is use this document here.

Open the thing in SimPe. You can do it, just use "start" instead of "open" and search in the list of game items for it.

Now, follow the directions at the link, and you've got an autonomous object. In my experience, you'll want to adjust the numbers a couple of times to get the right result. What's really fun is you can adjust the object to be more attractive to certain kinds of sims than others.
Undead Molten Llama
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Jan 2015 at 1:15 AM
Ah, thanks for the link. It has some info in it that I was wondering about, like the "Type" thing, an explanation of which wasn't included in the directions I followed.

Thing is, with a Maxis object, you can't access the TTAB without first making a clone of the object. At least, I think that was the case. If it wasn't, then I was really, really dumb not to notice. (Not that I'm above being really, really dumb, mind you. ) If it is the case, though, once the clone is made you have to give it a new GUID, etc., essentially making a new custom object that's just a copy of the Maxis object with a few tweaks in its behavior, which I don't really want to do. The goal is just to edit the Maxis object, for the purposes of my own personal game. But I'll fire up SimPE again a bit later and try this out again. Maybe there was something I missed...

Mad Poster
#7 Old 3rd Jan 2015 at 2:00 AM
I usually know how to do this. I did not edited the objects Icad downloaded, as I did not wanted them in my game...so I made my own buyable punching bag. just made it buyable, forgot to give it a price, so it cost 0...hehe, and made all interactions autonomous. Punch, teach & ask to teach. Object shows up no trouble, all interactions works also..but none are autonomous. This is what i do not get, as it always works usually.
Thank you for the link Lucy, I'll take a look.

Let me know if you get it to work Icad.

Undead Molten Llama
Original Poster
#8 Old 3rd Jan 2015 at 3:27 AM
It's not enough to just make the interactions autonomous. You also have to set advertising to various motives. If there's no advertising, Sims will ignore the object even if the interactions are autonomous because they won't "see" it.

I guess my main problem with this is that I don't know how to make objects because I've never really been interested in doing so. I guess I'll need to learn to do that and then just have custom copies of the objects I want to make autonomous.

Mad Poster
#9 Old 3rd Jan 2015 at 3:33 AM
Aha! this is why in my second to last message I asked..maybe this object is not attractive...
Well, I was right. now all I need to do is fixing this. Goood.
But..you got it to work..or not lol?

Undead Molten Llama
Original Poster
#10 Old 3rd Jan 2015 at 3:57 AM
No, I haven't done anything further with it than my first attempt, which didn't work. Like I said, I'll need to learn how to make functional new objects, at least enough to clone the object, put it on its own GUID, etc. I don't really know how to do that. I did it once, to make some fences, but I've forgotten now. So, I have a bit of "homework" to do first.

Mad Poster
#11 Old 3rd Jan 2015 at 4:13 AM Last edited by Rosebine : 3rd Jan 2015 at 4:23 AM.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! okay. Right. i was wondering why Icad would not just fix the attraction marker thing on the objects she downloaded..then I remember..there was no TTAB in them. Sowwy.
I can help you. I'll be back.
I might have 2 different options for you.
One would be to just add the TTAB to your downloaded .package. Me needs to test this theory first.
Second option is to create a .package that only has what it takes, to make the game object buyable and autonomous. Which I have done.
The second option might or not, work along with SophieDavid's .packages, this is why I need to test, before giving you to how to's, to those 2 options
But it is sure to work alone though.

So..I'll be back.

Undead Molten Llama
Original Poster
#12 Old 3rd Jan 2015 at 6:02 AM
I have done it! Well, OK, I haven't made it autonomous yet, but I have cloned the object and it shows up in my test game. Now to mess around with its advertising to get it working right.

Mad Poster
#13 Old 3rd Jan 2015 at 6:39 AM
Yay!!!
Good for you lol I am actually chatting with my fiance on Skype, let's say I got disturbed

Undead Molten Llama
Original Poster
#14 Old 3rd Jan 2015 at 6:46 AM
Not a problem, Rosie. Chatting with the fiance is much more important.

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#15 Old 3rd Jan 2015 at 3:46 PM
Clone the object in SimPE with all boxes unchecked. Delete everything but the TTAB (which is the only thing your changing), then save. This is now an override to the games TTAB for that object.
Undead Molten Llama
Original Poster
#16 Old 3rd Jan 2015 at 9:30 PM
Ooh, really Lunie? That's better than having another object in my catalogs. I'll have a fiddle with it, thanks!

Mad Poster
#17 Old 4th Jan 2015 at 2:40 AM
For mine though, I kept the OBJD, as I wanted to change where the object is found. And the TTAs. as well.

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
Mad Poster
#19 Old 4th Jan 2015 at 2:54 AM Last edited by Rosebine : 4th Jan 2015 at 12:48 PM.
Good. Okay. I was hoping you`d say this. hehe That confirms what me thought.

EDIT
It works great!

I had troubles at first with the article..english not my language and for some reasons, I got stuck on one thing.
Anyways!
I went back on the lot I gave the punching bag to...
JJ had his fun motive very low....and was in his bath tub.
He got out of it after all cleaned, and went straight to it!
Then his wife Jan wanted to chat. They did..then JJ asked to teach her
Now i am only waiting to see if Jan will ask for a lesson...

How I set the values :
Punch : Min 0100 Delta 0030 Type active (for obvious reasons)
Ask to teach : Min 0100 Delta 0030 Type Nice (Nice sims loves to teach!)
Ask For Lesson: Min 0100 Delta 0030 Type Serious. (Serious type just loves to learn!)

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd..realizing I set it way TOO attractive. I must lower it. lol