Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jul 2008 at 7:43 PM
Removing University
hey you guys,im borrowing sims 2 university frm the library,and eventually im going to return it,and remove the game,

do u think i can still play my old game?

i did it with seasons,and it removed everything and i ended up starting all over again.pls help!!

:smash:
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 9th Jul 2008 at 7:53 PM
You are not legally allowed to just borrow a game and install it and continue using it once you give it back - whether it's the library's copy, your friend's, your cousin's, etc.... You also cannot uninstall an EP and have your old stuff still work - it's not backwards compatible once you have installed an EP. You'll lose all your old stuff (again) if you uninstall Uni.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
#3 Old 9th Jul 2008 at 11:06 PM
don't uninstall and just load from the sims 2 deluxe cd, it works.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 10th Jul 2008 at 12:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lolwtf
don't uninstall and just load from the sims 2 deluxe cd, it works.

And I shall say again, this time in bold...

You are not legally allowed to just borrow a game and install it and continue using it once you give it back - whether it's the library's copy, your friend's, your cousin's, etc....

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 10th Jul 2008 at 7:27 AM
Is it even legal for the library to be "lending" these games? Just curious... I thought they were bought for like 1 cd key = 2 computers or something like that...
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 10th Jul 2008 at 7:43 AM
Yeah, unfortunately it's illegal. If you want to keep Uni, I would suggest that you purchase it thru the legal channels, of course :D....

I have tried, but have failed. What else is there for me do do?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 10th Jul 2008 at 6:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by damnwitch
hey you guys,im borrowing sims 2 university frm the library,and eventually im going to return it,and remove the game,

do u think i can still play my old game?

i did it with seasons,and it removed everything and i ended up starting all over again.pls help!!

When you uninstall an EP, the uninstaller will automatically delete the contents of your Sims2 folder- so all of your neighbourhoods, custom content, music, movies etc. will be gone. If you wish to keep any of this you can just cut and paste your Sims 2 folder from My Documents to the desktop before you uninstall. That way they won't be deleted. However, you will NOT be able to play your neighbourhoods- they will not work as your game version will be different. You'll need to start those again. But you can copy your Saved Sims folder, Downloads, userstartup.cheat and any other custom files into the new Sims 2 folder generated next time you play, with some conditions. That is- make sure your userstartup.cheat does not contain cheats specific to the EP you just uninstalled. And make sure your custom content is compatible with your new game setup (remove all hacks, clothes, objects which need the EP you uninstalled). If you wish to use your neighbourhood again the best way to do this is to package up the lots before you uninstall the EP and save them to a file, and to use SimPE and Simsurgery to extract any Sims you like. Then you can use the lots and Sims in your new game (you'll just have to create relationships and memories in SimPE).
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 10th Jul 2008 at 6:47 PM
I don't think that the CD restricts use to only a few computers. We have 4 computers in my house and sims is on all of them without any problems.

However, just like others have said, you can't keep playing the game after uninstalling an EP. I learned this the hard way once after uninstalling pets.
Alchemist
#9 Old 10th Jul 2008 at 7:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sumpsychochic
I don't think that the CD restricts use to only a few computers.

What they mean by restriction is it's against the Eula to install the game on that many computers with the same disk
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 10th Jul 2008 at 8:15 PM
Yes, the license agreement is for one game, one computer. If you uninstall it from a computer you can install it on another, but not both at the same time. Four PCs is definitely not allowed! The license is a bit different from some other software which allows you to install on multiple computers as long as you only use one copy at any one time.

Quote: Originally posted by EULA
...grants you a non-transferable non-exclusive license to download and/or install and use one copy of the software tool ("Tool") and/or materials ("Materials")...
#11 Old 16th Jul 2008 at 9:39 PM
Why don't you just buy it yourself?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#12 Old 16th Jul 2008 at 11:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JanePstar
Why don't you just buy it yourself?

Some people don't have millions of pounds to buy everything they want, so borrowing books, movies and games is a good way to enjoy them. It's fun and more morally pleasing that stealing!
#13 Old 20th Jul 2008 at 3:26 PM
Quote:
Yes, the license agreement is for one game, one computer. If you uninstall it from a computer you can install it on another, but not both at the same time. Four PCs is definitely not allowed!

Ehh... I guess me and my best friends should be arrested then. :err: