Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Jan 2014 at 4:05 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Only 800x600 resolution again
Hi
I got that problem when I can only get the 800x600 resolution again.
I remember we all had it after a windows update a while back. Fixed it by deleting that update. Don´t know if its the same again. Have not played for a month because of RL but had some time today so started the game and it only had the 800x600 resolution option. Lets just say I said some not so nice words.
Anyone know anything about this. Going to try to go over the updates windows has done and test but if anyone have any ideas I would be really greatfull.

Rox
specs
windows 7
card AMD Radeon HD 7950
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 3rd Jan 2014 at 5:06 PM
Hey, I'd be glad to help you!

First, find this file: C:/Program Files/EA GAMES/The Sims 2/TSData/Res/Config/Graphics Rules.sgr
Make a copy of it as a backup just in case anything goes wrong. (Be sure to put a different name for it, like "Graphics Rules Backup.sgr" or something.)
Now open the original file and find the line that says "option ScreenModeResolution"
You will see settings for Low, Medium, and High. Copy the High settings and paste them over the low settings so the game can let you choose any resolution you want.

Hope this helped!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Jan 2014 at 5:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by thesammy58

First, find this file: C:/Program Files/EA GAMES/The Sims 2/TSData/Res/Config/Graphics Rules.sgr
Make a copy of it as a backup just in case anything goes wrong. (Be sure to put a different name for it, like "Graphics Rules Backup.sgr" or something.)
Now open the original file and find the line that says "option ScreenModeResolution"
You will see settings for Low, Medium, and High. Copy the High settings and paste them over the low settings so the game can let you choose any resolution you want.

Hope this helped!

Thanx but I did the nesasary changes in the cofig files after I got this computer. Thats how I got it to work in the first place.
But good news is I got it to work after I changed the system back to how it was when I last played. Now I just need to figure out which update messed it up..... sigh
Theorist
#4 Old 3rd Jan 2014 at 6:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by roxmaniac
Thanx but I did the nesasary changes in the cofig files after I got this computer. Thats how I got it to work in the first place.
But good news is I got it to work after I changed the system back to how it was when I last played. Now I just need to figure out which update messed it up..... sigh

I have the same problem and haven't worked it out yet either so if you find the newest update that did it please post.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Jan 2014 at 9:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Honeywell
I have the same problem and haven't worked it out yet either so if you find the newest update that did it please post.

Well I removed the updates installed after dec 8 since I knew that was the last time I played. After that it worked. But now windows update have about 10 updates it wants to install and on of them is the bad one. Will try to figure it out tomorrow.
Theorist
#6 Old 4th Jan 2014 at 4:20 PM
Well the date it self is helpful and will narrow it down. I play so infrequently I had no idea when it happened and just noticed it last week when I went to work on an old CC project.
Theorist
#7 Old 4th Jan 2014 at 7:16 PM
It's update KB 2670838 if you still need it roxmaiac. That's the same update that was causing the problems before although neriana in this thread recommends that you don't uninstall it but instead follow the directions at WSGF. I know I had to update my sgr files before but I never did anything with the camera.txt files so it's probably best to follow those instructions -- I just uninstalled though. I'll mess around with it later when I'm feeling more ambitious.
Test Subject
#8 Old 8th Jan 2014 at 6:30 PM Last edited by simhummingbird : 8th Jan 2014 at 6:41 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by thesammy58

Hope this helped!

After searching for this for two days, I finally found it and tried it. Sadly, it didn't work. I still only have the 800 x 600 option. What else can I try that might actually help? I have my own, and my daughter's copies of the game to fix. Two different computers, both Windows 8, and both have only 800 x 600 option for window size.

I even went to your second suggestion and followed what it said at the other site. . . for my computer, that didn't work either. Any other suggestions?
Took me forever to get the game to accept windowed mode on top of that! At least that is working now!
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#9 Old 8th Jan 2014 at 7:40 PM
Did you also try Honeywell's suggestion?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
#10 Old 8th Jan 2014 at 11:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Did you also try Honeywell's suggestion?

I'm looking at that page and not understanding what part I didn't do. I copied and pasted the part I thought I needed to. Trying again, figuring maybe I got a space in there that didn't belong or something. Not sure what else you might mean.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 11th Jan 2014 at 5:11 PM
Finally had some time to look in to this.
Well I changed my C:/Program Files/EA GAMES/(last installed ep, in my case apartmentlife)/TSData/Res/Config/Graphics Rules.sgr file again. When I checked it I had not done all the changes it needed.

option ScreenModeResolution
setting $Low
uintProp maxResWidth 2560
uintProp maxResHeight 1600
uintProp defaultResWidth 800
uintProp defaultResHeight 600

setting $Medium
uintProp defaultResWidth 1024
uintProp defaultResHeight 768

setting $High
uintProp defaultResWidth 1024
uintProp defaultResHeight 768
end

And its working now for me with the new Windows updates Woohoo
Fingers crossed that it stays that way.
Test Subject
#12 Old 12th Jan 2014 at 3:49 AM Last edited by simhummingbird : 12th Jan 2014 at 4:13 AM.
My Windows 8 Computer is a 64 bit, AMD FX(tm)-4130 Quad-Core Processor 3.80 GHz, with 8.00 GB RAM, and has an AMD Radeon HD 6670 Video card running an AOC monitor. I still can't get out of the 800 x 600 mode, no matter what I try.

Edit: I hope I found the problem!!! I use "Store Edition" of the game, so I'm going to change THAT file and see if it works. And that did it! As stated above you have to put this in the latest edition of the game, and when you use the store edition that is where the file goes. Thank you all for helping figure this out! (I'll let my daughter, with a similar computer to mine, know so she can have a larger windowed game too.)