Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jan 2014 at 5:30 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Unable to play with expansion packs (Windows 8)
I got a new computer with Windows 8 for Christmas and I am now in the process of installing my Sims 2 games. I found a thread with instructions on how to install my games on Windows 8. I did this for the base game, which loaded and played perfectly. I installed University and it worked too, as did Nightlife. Now I'm on Open For Business. The game will install, but it won't launch. I am doing everything the thread told me to do - changing compatibility to XP service pack 2, patching the games. When I go to launch the game, it says, "Please ensure the Open for Business disc is in the drive, select OK and restart the application". Has anyone else come across this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 4th Jan 2014 at 11:29 AM
Did you run the installer in compatibility mode too? Do you have any virtual disk drives? If so, disable them. Have you already installed any later EPs or SPs, which may have come with SecuROM?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Jan 2014 at 9:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Did you run the installer in compatibility mode too? Do you have any virtual disk drives? If so, disable them. Have you already installed any later EPs or SPs, which may have come with SecuROM?

I changed the compatibility before the install. I don't believe I have any virtual disks drives. I have not tried to install any of the EPs/SPs that came with SecuROM.

I forgot to mention in the original post that the problem is occurring right after I install. After the the bar goes to 100%, I get the 'please wait' box followed by the white box with the Open for Business logo. After a few seconds the "please ensure" box pops up. Of course, this is before I've had the chance to patch the game and change the compatibility from the desktop. After the error, I went ahead and patched the game anyway and tried to launch, getting the same error once again. Not sure if this helps, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
Test Subject
#4 Old 12th Jan 2014 at 6:32 PM Last edited by BananaParty : 13th Jan 2014 at 6:57 PM.
Maybe you could try re-installing and then follow this guide to install again? = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n3v1CXSgXI

I had a lot of problems installing Sims 2 on my win 8 computer (I could install up to 100%, then it said it would update - update failed and installation would terminate), but this video helped me tremendously.

You basically have to install the Sims 2 base game + University on a seperate, older computer (such as XP or Vista), copy TSData and TSBin folders (from the base game) to a USB Stick. Then istall The Sims 2 (only) and overwrite the new TSData and TSBin folders with the folders from your old computer. Then you can continue as you normally would when installing.

I hope this helps