Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jul 2016 at 9:32 PM Last edited by belleshirley : 5th Jul 2016 at 9:49 PM.
Default looking for a way to make parts of a sim invisible
i am a total noob at cc, and haven't even had the nerve to tackle any clothing, but the first thing i want to try is an outfit for sims 3 af that makes one arm, one hand, one leg and one foot invisible. i see that there are "null" shoes, so i figure it can be done, but i am so lost... if i delete these parts of the geom mesh, will the body parts go invisible? and how do i delete only part of the geom mesh, if that is correct?
or even better a skin with those parts invisible
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 6th Jul 2016 at 5:36 PM
Uhm... are you referring to a sort of amputee outfit? Because just 'deleting' parts will make ugly looking parts. This is what It would look like if you would do it the way you described:

as you can see, you would see through, which in game will look incredibly weird. But If you close it up it will give it a more neater look and realistic as well. (I did this really quick, like 2 minutes)

Though the reason EA has invisible feet, no one knows. But these are controlled with 'hide' kind of category. the only way this would be possible is doing this for top, bottom, scalp and face.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 3:10 PM
thank you so much for trying to help me. yes, i meant for it to be sort of an amputee outfit. i need 2 of it for a machinima . one for one side to make the arm. hand, foot and leg vanish, one for the other. (2 sims one with the right side gone, one with the left side gone) wow, i am hopeless for understanding all this... clearly i am way out of my depth... just not nearly advanced enough... i've been using the amputee mod, but it moves the outfit with the body part, so you always have just a tiny bit of body showing below the clothing. i don't suppose you could be convinced to create this as an accessory so that the sims could wear their regular clothes with it...? i plan to enter the machinima into siff, and of course would give you a giant credit... pretty please with sugar on top...?
Virtual gardener
#4 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 3:40 PM
It's basically impossible to make an accessory amputee. They actually come with the top mesh. That's why people succeeded making these robot arms or skeleton arms, etc. So that's an issue here. I don't really like changing another creator's work, even though it's a small change like this (unless it's one texture ruining the entire outfit, which seems to happen more often than it did in the past I think).

But if you want me to edit a base game/game top or something, I'm totally fine doing that. As long as it are short sleeves ones.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 6:10 PM
gee, i really appreciate the offer, so amazingly kind of you. but i don't think that will work for my little movie. do you think it might be possible to create (not necessarily you, unless you wanted to) a skin with those parts invisible?
Virtual gardener
#6 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 11:45 AM
Hmm I've never tried to do so to be honest, and I guess if you would try, the game will generate some weird colour at the transparent part. And then you are likely to see this problem:

Site Helper
#7 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 10:50 PM
Would using amputee sliders have the desired effect? There are some leg amputee sliders that I believe were made by OneEuroMutt that Mingham Smith was using in the Scumthorpe thread, and an arm amputee was featured in that thread more recently (by one of the readers,)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 10th Jul 2016 at 2:52 PM
the amputee sliders are what i am using now, the problem is that the outfit always moves to just above where you set the leg, so there's still a nub of skin sticking out below. i can make it where that nub is just barely visible, but that seems to be as good as it gets. i was hoping there would be a better/cleaner looking way to do it, but maybe that's going to be as good as it gets. thanks so very much for all your help. and if you get any ideas on how i might do this better, please give me a holler. again, thanks so much for your time and patience.