Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jul 2016 at 6:10 AM
Default Tweeking a sunrise/set mod
Good morning, everyone.
I do hope this is the right place to post I'm bloody new at changing mods and hence scared of my own shadow so to speak. And yeah - I worry about my game crashing because of some minor tweeking.

There is a very nice mod by Gurra09 - Sunrise-Sunset season Offset I think it's name was. Its about having the sun rise/set at natural times - you can even tweek them to do so at your home-country time - which is, what i want to do. I wonder if one can put in not only +-1,5 (one number after the decimal - would be +- 1 and 1/2 hours before/after the ea sunrise/set-time) , but like -1,75/1,25 as in 2 number after the dezimal - making it possible to have the sun rise/set at 4:15 or 7:15 - quarters of an hour.
Its a question if that programmpart of the game can stomache 2 decimals - or even just something other than the usual 'x,5'.
I did ask Gurra09, but he didn't answer and I would like to put the modified mod either into the game or leave it as it is.

errr.. If the lines of the programm are needed, I can add them here too, if needs be.

thank you for reading and possible answers

Seewolf
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 6th Jul 2016 at 7:15 AM
Can you post the code? I wanna check it out

Challenge To-Do List

Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Jul 2016 at 9:43 AM
Title: SeasonsManager_0xda46c4abc19a24ff Tag:_XML Type: 0x0333406C Instance: see name.

There is more, but since one should not spawm with code i took the necessary part + some...
The Lines in Question start with <kSummerSunriseAndSunsetOffsets value="-1, 4">
Basicly it tells the game when the sun has to rise/set at what season. EA made it to rise/set at 6am/pm and with this it can be set at the your own countrytime. Theres even a mod for White Nights at Gurra09's place. -1 for an hour earlier than 6 am. 4 for 4 hours later than 6pm. You can put in -1,5 too. I wanna know if you can also put in -0.25 for rising sun at a quater to 6. I mean I could go with 0.2 too, but I would like to know what the game allows.
I'm asking since a friend of a friend, being a programmer said, little things like that can crash the game/computer depending on the programm. When I heared that I just went O_O. Just because the pc might not like a 3 but only certain numbers.
And yeah little stuff bothers me sometimes *g* Especially when I see that the sun at Summerequinox rises at a quarter to 5am. I am picky there.

[...]
<kSeasonChangeHour value="23.99">
<!--Hour of day seasons will switch on-->
</kSeasonChangeHour>
<kDaysForSeasonTransition value="2">
<!--How many days it takes to transition from one season to another-->
</kDaysForSeasonTransition>
<kHoursUntilTutorial value="2">
<!--Hours after startup to show options tutorial-->
</kHoursUntilTutorial>
<kSummerSunriseAndSunsetOffsets value="-1, 4">
<!--Summer Sunrise/Sunset hour time offsets.-->
</kSummerSunriseAndSunsetOffsets>
<kFallSunriseAndSunsetOffsets value="1.5, 1.5">
<!--Fall Sunrise/Sunset hour time offsets.-->
</kFallSunriseAndSunsetOffsets>
<kWinterSunriseAndSunsetOffsets value="2, -1.5">
<!--Winter Sunrise/Sunset hour time offsets.-->
</kWinterSunriseAndSunsetOffsets>
<kSpringSunriseAndSunsetOffsets value="0.5, 1">
<!--Spring Sunrise/Sunset hour time offsets.-->
</kSpringSunriseAndSunsetOffsets>
<kSeasonsLoggingFrequency value="30">
<!--Range: positive floats in sim minutes. Number of minutes between each weather/sim temperature logging.-->
</kSeasonsLoggingFrequency>
[...]
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#4 Old 6th Jul 2016 at 12:50 PM
That sounds reasonable. I play around a lot with seasons and the time change by cmomoney (http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=481816) So I can tell that when it's winter, the sun will get up around 9-10 am and when it's summer around 6-7 am. Same for spring and autumn. Though, usually scripts/XMLs like these would be like 'how many sims minutes till...' Maybe comparing some mods might help you out?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Jul 2016 at 1:08 PM
For that I would need a better understanding for mods than I have right now.
I am just happy if I can find the lines I need to look for in a mod to change numbers like here or like blabla has to cost xy or the payout for bla-job will be x per hour.
If you hit me with two mods of different makeup about the same thing and expect me to change that to my liking my mind will propably go 'BOOM' trying to figure out what to do to make a sunrise happen at the time I want. <-- Bloody noob
Virtual gardener
#6 Old 6th Jul 2016 at 2:27 PM
Lemme take a look. I had my game running when I sent that post. Though, i can understand you can get confused with comparing mods if you have no idea what to look at XD

So this is how far I can tell how it works. Okay so I opened up the Stockholm mod by Gurra09 and the default game seasons manager and compared those. Let's take a look at winter:

Gurra09:

<kWinterSunriseAndSunsetOffsets value="2.5, -3">

EA:

<kWinterSunriseAndSunsetOffsets value="2, -2.5">

Gurra09 claims that the winter time is set as: Winter - 8:30/15:00 (from the info of the download)

So that means that '2' stands for '8 am' and '2,5' as '8:30 am'. And a simpler one, -3 is 3pm. while EAs says -2,5. which must be '2:30 pm'
I think since the world is probably a rotating sphere, or maybe the texture of the world's sphere is animated (sounds more reasonable) the game has its own setting. So, let's count from 8am to 12.

6 am = 0
7 am = 1
8 am = 2
9 am = 3
10 am= 4
11 am = 5
12 am = must be either 6.

Which means, the time for 'am' starts at 6 am according to the game. Which sounds reasonable, since the game works with 6 am and 12 pm.

But why the negative numbers?

I think this is where the game rotates things to a negative rotation. Which means that according to the game, if -3 is 15:00 pm, things will get a bit more easier, but it means that the positive list might go on. Let's check it out:

0 (I guess this is 12) pm = -0
1 pm = -1
2 pm = -2
3 pm = -3
4 pm = -4
5 pm = -5
6 pm = -6
7 pm = -7
8 pm =-8
9 pm = -9
10 pm = -10
11 pm = -11
12 am = 6/ -12?

So that means, that the game will switch back to '6' when it's back to the 'am' area. Just one part I can't figure out is why 1 am doesn't fit in there.
Test Subject
#7 Old 6th Jul 2016 at 6:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Greenplumbbob

Shouldn't the negatives be going back from 6 am? In that case, it would go

5 am = -1
4 am = -2
3 am = -3
2 am = -4
1 am = -5
12 am = -6

That leaves room for 1 am, but I could be wrong

Challenge To-Do List

Virtual gardener
#8 Old 6th Jul 2016 at 8:00 PM
Sounds reasonable though, but it makes me wonder why '2' stands for '8 am'. >-<
Test Subject
#9 Old 6th Jul 2016 at 10:20 PM
I'm gonna figure this out

That's how much I've gotten from this

Challenge To-Do List

Virtual gardener
#10 Old 7th Jul 2016 at 9:50 AM
well if 0,5 = 30 minutes, and 25 min must be something like 0,45 min. Though I would recommend not going all 32 min and 48 min. The game won't make it incredibly dark at some point like it does in the sims 2. Those are points where it is at least dark, or the sun starts shining. it's like a loop with a few checkpoints. But this is the part you should be focusing on:

<!--Summer Sunrise/Sunset hour time offsets.-->
</kSummerSunriseAndSunsetOffsets>
<kFallSunriseAndSunsetOffsets value="1.5, 1.5">
<!--Fall Sunrise/Sunset hour time offsets.-->
</kFallSunriseAndSunsetOffsets>
<kWinterSunriseAndSunsetOffsets value="2, -1.5">
<kSpringSunriseAndSunsetOffsets value="0.5, 1">
<!--Spring Sunrise/Sunset hour time offsets.-->
</kSpringSunriseAndSunsetOffsets>

The rest, are just days and hours on when seasons starts. Like this,

<kDaysForSeasonTransition value="2">
<!--How many days it takes to transition from one season to another-->
</kDaysForSeasonTransition>

This is basically when the weather should change after seasons switched, so like the game just switched from winter to spring, it will slowly melt the snow but actually, the whole progress is done doing that within 2 days. Then it will be fully spring. So you can get really realistic here since EA actually kept the default lifetimes and all in mind so that's why it takes the game 2 days to fully change the weather.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 7th Jul 2016 at 10:05 AM Last edited by Seewolf : 7th Jul 2016 at 10:23 AM.
For my understanding it has to fixpoints. 6am and 6pm. Sunrise and sunset. Both numbers are expressed as this:
value="first fixpoint, second fixpoint">
first fixpoint:
4:30 am = -1,5
5:00 am = -1
6:00 am = 0
7:00 am = 1
8:30 am = 1.5

second fixpoint
4:30 pm = -1,5
5:00 pm = -1
6:00 pm = 0
7:00 pm = 1
8:30 pm = 1.5

hence the numbers for spring to winter.
spring: sunrise 6:30am. sunset 7pm
summer: sunrise: 5am, sunset 11 pm
Fall: sunrise: 7:30am, sunset 7:30 pm
Winter: sunrise: 8am, sunset 4:30 pm

The question is: does it accept a second number after the decimal? like -1,25? Or generally numbers like 2 or 7 or other numbers?

Aunt Edith:
wah... Someone was faster and I should have refreshed again... lol doubled explaination. Oh well.... XD. And yeah thank you for explaining the rest of the stuff.
Perhabs I could lenghthen the transit to the next season to 3 or 4 days too. After all the transit in RL has blurred way more in Germany around Bonn. It's rare that we have a real summer or winter. We usually have 2 or 3 really hot/cold days in summer/winter with people fainting from heat and snow in the winter. The rest of summer/winter is more like spring/fall. After a heatwave of 2 days we usually say: there goes our summer. Now we are back to wishiwashiweather. All over rather sad weather.
I wonder how many years it has been since we actually had snow at christmas - or generelly from 20th dec to Jan.5th... I think we rather get snow at february. God this year one bush was blooming the whole friggin winter! Somewhat disturbing considering my childhood 25 years ago was filled with wintersnow. Gah, but I'm chatting to much... well... *cough* there you are anyway.