Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Mar 2016 at 7:24 PM
Default Bar as home business
I'd like to know if bars can be run as home businesses, with profit and all. If so, how? I have @Zarathustra Fisk's Bar, which I want to use as the HQ of my criminal organization. I know I could just buy the community lot, but then Sims couldn't really live there, which I want. So, any ideas on running a bar at home? Is it easier/harder, what do I need...?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 13th Mar 2016 at 10:20 PM
I guess you could charge entrance fees with the ticket machine at the bar's entrance - and if there is enough fun things for clients to do, they should keep showing up. I don't know if you can actually charge for the fruit juice, but entrance fees will work. You could also make a separate entrance to the household's sleeping and living quarters.

My first business was simply allowing people access to a home and have them pay for the use of the amenites (swimming pool, games, etc) - ticket machine at the gate - and I honestly can't remember if my Sims made any money, but I did have a lot of fun.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 13th Mar 2016 at 10:37 PM
The tavern in my medieval game makes a handy profit by an invisible ticket machine. Most times I leave it on 24/7 so it's even running at night while they sleep. Once they have enough money to finish building the top story with guest rooms I will start to have an opening and closing hour since drunk patrons at 3am and no bar keep or bouncer around is probably not the safest. Probably not legal either but they have no laws regarding that yet!

My tavern has a barral of inebriation which they can partake without the bar keep. Now since my Queen decided she would propose engagement to some townie girl I started banning certain people, namely female nobility. *shakes head* Now it's mostly for townies as I don't care how badly they behave. Seeing the old garden club guy running around naked nearly did my eyes in though.

Then there is knife throwing (darts) which of course makes a great combo with the alcohol... When my bar keep is awake he tends bar or plays the flute for money. They also have an automatic buffet bowl and a stereo lute.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 14th Mar 2016 at 3:14 AM
Sims will stay longer at the bar if they can eat. Simlogical's Pay Buffet and Paladin's one-tile pizza buffet are good money makers, even if your Bandatron fee is still low in a new business. A backroom poker table can also bring in the Simoleons, too.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 14th Mar 2016 at 10:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
My first business was simply allowing people access to a home and have them pay for the use of the amenites (swimming pool, games, etc) - ticket machine at the gate - and I honestly can't remember if my Sims made any money, but I did have a lot of fun.
There's just a possibility in my game that Juliette (and Hermia) may be left with Capp Manor but not a lot of money in cash. . . .And her schooling still to finish. Opening the family pile to the public (as lots of other owners of stately homes have done) might not be a bad idea.

Whether that will include a bar I'm not so sure. @Esmeilolanthe once drew my attention to what appears to be a lesser-known cause of corruption -- tending bars in owned businesses. Someone -- I'm pretty sure it's the Sim serving at the bar -- is likely to get "Met Self" memories, which are "Bad Things" and can apparently lead to the destruction of your 'hood. The usual fix is Pescado's dramafix, but I can't use that because I don't have (and possibly don't want) University. I tried the fix a couple of times, but, without University, it caused a jump bug every time a Sim met someone new. I wonder if anyone else has any views on this problem, which is stopping me running owned nightclubs (including Malcolm Landgraab's Club Dante in Bluewater, as it probably has a bar).

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 14th Mar 2016 at 11:38 AM
Dramafix should be on the list of essential mods, I hope so as I always forget to mention it. I remember back when the whole met self thing happened and was so glad that I had not yet had a bar on an owned business lot. OP make sure to get that if you don't have it already. I don't think it was ever patched.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#7 Old 14th Mar 2016 at 12:25 PM
Andrew - yes, I agree, but such a business does not need a bar to succeed - just stuff Sims like to do like piano playing or swimming or playing a game.
Now let me go and see if I have dramafix in my game Edit: (Yes, it is there).

If you don't find a solution, you could simply have clubs without bars - so what? They can still have the other amenities. Let them make themselves coffee. Or perhaps there is a download somewhere like a beer keg that does not need expansion packs that you don't have. Just remove Malcolms bars from the lot before playing it.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 14th Mar 2016 at 12:45 PM
Thanks Justpetro! If Juliette has to let the hoi polloi in, Capp Manor has at least one attraction that should keep the punters happy -- Consort erected an outdoor bowling lane where the old private cemetery used to be! (He had one of those "Buy a ridiculously expensive game" wants. )

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 14th Mar 2016 at 7:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
@Esmeilolanthe once drew my attention to what appears to be a lesser-known cause of corruption -- tending bars in owned businesses. Someone -- I'm pretty sure it's the Sim serving at the bar -- is likely to get "Met Self" memories, which are "Bad Things" and can apparently lead to the destruction of your 'hood. The usual fix is Pescado's dramafix, but I can't use that because I don't have (and possibly don't want) University. I tried the fix a couple of times, but, without University, it caused a jump bug every time a Sim met someone new. I wonder if anyone else has any views on this problem, which is stopping me running owned nightclubs (including Malcolm Landgraab's Club Dante in Bluewater, as it probably has a bar).

I have Pescado's dramafix in my game and Mootilda's Hood Checker still reports (and fixes) "met self" memories in my hoods on a regular basis, so I don't know whether having dramafix would be of any use to you anyway. The readme for dramafix seems to imply that it's specifically intended only for "met self" related to Uni's drama professor, so it would probably be of limited use to you as there appear to be many other causes of "met self", some known and some not.

So, since you're going to get "met self" in your 'hoods no matter what you do, I would strongly recommend running Mootilda's Hood Checker on a regular basis for all of your 'hoods. I try to run it before every gaming session on any 'hood that I've played lately. The Hood Checker should definitely go on the list of essential mods if it isn't there already (I honestly haven't looked at that in ages).

Get Mootilda's Hood Checker here:
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=456523
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 14th Mar 2016 at 8:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
I have Pescado's dramafix in my game and Mootilda's Hood Checker still reports (and fixes) "met self" memories in my hoods on a regular basis
Are you sure? I think it reports "invalid relationships with self" or something, in the relationships tab, rather than met self memories.

Then again I use Squinge's "no met subject" mod, so I don't have any "met" memories. (I don't have dramafix.)

And not that I absolutely want to contradict you :p, but I don't understand dramafix like that: they're two separate fixes unfortunately rolled in a single mod, for me.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 14th Mar 2016 at 9:36 PM
Would that mod be an option for Andrew?

~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 14th Mar 2016 at 10:52 PM
Which one, no met subject? I've never had home businesses with bars, so I can't say for sure. I *think* it would, as no "met" memory is generated at all in my game (there are only two versions of the mod, pre- or post- Pets). It may be worth testing if that "met self" memory is sure to be generated as soon as you have a bar on a home business lot.
If it's more of a random, elusive thing, then it's up to the player to decide whether it's worth testing, or whether they'd rather get dramafix and be done with it, I guess.

(For anyone wondering about Squinge's mod, it works fine for me with all EPs up to M&G, it doesn't prevent things like wanting to meet someone new and such, it doesn't seem to have any unwanted effect, it looks like it just does what it says, stop the creation of hundreds of "met Abhijeet Deppiesse" and the resulting gossip about Goopy Gilscarbo meeting Bailey the stray dog.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 14th Mar 2016 at 10:56 PM
You have to actually tend the bar to get the memory. It's as if you are both bar tender and bar patron.

~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 14th Mar 2016 at 11:06 PM
All right, but I have no idea if it's one of those things that have a slight chance of happening, where testing might prove difficult, or not?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 14th Mar 2016 at 11:11 PM
Andrew could test it but it would need to be a throw away hood and Andrew can never throw away hoods.

~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 14th Mar 2016 at 11:15 PM Last edited by Lili975 : 15th Mar 2016 at 12:13 AM.
Well then he can post in the help section, I've corrupted my new hood, help me clean it, my sim has a memory of meeting himself

Edit: All right, my sim has opened a home business and is serving drinks. I see no new memory since "opened a business", she's not meeting the patrons or herself.
An ugly reporter in weird clothes was generated, though; so that's familiar :p

Edit2: Ha! Without Squinge's mod, she immediately got the memory of meeting herself, as soon as I directed her to tend the bar.
So Squinge's mod does apparently take care of that issue. And without global reset, unlike dramafix. You can take it in and out of your game as you please.

The Hood Checker removed the invalid relationships with self generated in both cases, but it doesn't report the met self as problematic memory.
The batbox also didn't offer no option to "wipe corrupt" after the "met self" memory appeared.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 15th Mar 2016 at 10:57 AM
Thanks for posting the results of your experiment. I had thought "met self" was the same thing as "invalid relationship with self" - apparently I was a bit confused.

I use Boiling Oil's "no trash memories " myself. It must do the same thing as Squinge's mod since the HCD reports a conflict.

I apologize for my previous post being a little incoherent - I shouldn't post during the day when I'm not fully awake (I work nights, so during daylight hours on a weekday I'm either just nodding off or just waking up).

It's my understanding that dramafix is aimed at fixing specific problems with the Drama Professor NPC in University and is (I think) not intended to fix or prevent any other instances of "met self"/"invalid relationship with self". I could be wrong though. Pescado is not known for clear and thorough descriptions of his mods or exactly what they do.
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 15th Mar 2016 at 12:54 PM
Yeah exactly, it can be interpreted both ways. But the discussion in MATY's dramafix thread does make me believe that they are different mods........as well as Pescado's habit of packaging random stuff together and assuming that since he wants it all in his game, everyone will too
Mad Poster
#19 Old 15th Mar 2016 at 6:47 PM
I think I wouldn't mind Pescado's way of doing things like that if he would just DOCUMENT his mods properly so other simmers know exactly what they're getting. It doesn't help that when he does bother to include a readme file, as often as not it's just some vague obscure joke that only documents his weird sense of humor.

The discussion threads are definitely helpful, but it shouldn't be necessary to go hunting through a whole thread (sometimes more than one) to find out what one of his mods is supposed to do. Maybe that's part of his weird sense of humor too.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 15th Mar 2016 at 6:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lili975

The Hood Checker removed the invalid relationships with self generated in both cases, but it doesn't report the met self as problematic memory.
The batbox also didn't offer no option to "wipe corrupt" after the "met self" memory appeared.

Which is why I was a little surprised that the "met self" memory was so bad. I thought of it more as an annoyance. "Met Self" isn't on the Wiki as a corrupter, either. (http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Game_gui...ding_corruption)

I do have another mod that gets rid of just about ALL "met" memories. I used the Batbox first, but Boiling Oil's No Trash Memories wipes just about all of them from the panel without my having to do anything, since the excess of "Met ___________" was really annoying when it came to my Popularity or Romance Sims. So it's been a while since I've even thought about this.

And as others wrote, what the No Trash Memories mod possibly misses, the Hood Checker probably fixes, I would think.

I do need to thank you folks, though ... it seems like No Trash Memories was updated (makes note to update later).

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Instructor
#21 Old 15th Mar 2016 at 8:11 PM
What a coincidence that I was making a bar last night and I just saw this thread. Thank you all about the suggestions and mods/hood checker reminders. :D

Let's just agree to disagree.
Forum Resident
#22 Old 15th Mar 2016 at 11:08 PM
Malcolm Landgraab run's a bar in Bluewater, and he's known to get very rich doing this. If you get an employee to tend it, it will pay out $16 per hour. Bar's satisfy hunger need, so if you include a buffet, then less people will use the bar. $16 isn't enough to live on, so you will need the charge at the door. Poker table's are a guaranteed hit with customers, and definitely fit the look of that wonderful Fisk Bar. (I've played bars before, and my owner usually man's it successfully when the employees are taking a toilet break. For a more secret criminal place, I get the employees to use moniques computer and pretend that they are hacking.