Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
#26 Old 7th Mar 2011 at 10:29 AM
Which tool do you think would be the easiest to use if I wanted to take an already existing necklace (that was created before Late Night and therefore takes a hand slot or wrist slot instead of neck slot) and just set it to be a neck slot item instead? Basically all I want to do is make it so I can have them wear the necklace without it taking off the hand item or whatever slot it was taking before.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#27 Old 7th Mar 2011 at 1:13 PM
Holy shit! Hiya su! Where the hell have you been the last three years?

There are two fairly easy ways of doing this:
Open the .package file in S3PE, select the CASP resource (you might have to tick Display Tags in the bottom of the window first) and click the Grid button.
In the Grid window, change (double-click) the value next to Clothing (it's just above DataType, AgeGender etc.) to 0x00000009, commit, and save.

Or:
Open TSRW, go New project -> New import, and select the file (you may have to tell it to look for .package files or .sims3packs instead of .wrk files). Once it's imported, click through everything 'till you get to the main project screen where there should be a 3D render of the necklace. Under the Project tab, maximise the Clothing type section and tick the boxes however you like.
To save from TSRW, you can either save as .sims3pack under the File menu, or you can go Project (top menu) -> Project contents -> Export -> As .package. Doing it this way will make a new CAS item, so any sims which were wearing the old one will need to have the new version put on them in CAS/stylist.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Instructor
#28 Old 8th Mar 2011 at 11:19 AM
Hi, whiterider! *hugs*
Good to see you!
Has it really been three years?
My old computer died and the portable drive I had backed all my stuff up on died too. I was going to pull my old harddrive out and copy the data but my sister's retarded monkey of a friend dismantled my computer without asking (well, she said she was going to do it and I said "no" but she did it anyway) and gave all of the parts (including the harddrives) to Goodwill.
I'm starting to get interested in object-making again bc it doesn't seem like EA is going to make some of the things I want anytime soon and I can't download their store crap because of my ISP.
Hmm.. Sounds like the S3PE is simpler.
Thank you so much!

Now if I can just figure out the filenames of all of the necklace files I've downloaded.. LOL...
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#29 Old 8th Mar 2011 at 1:03 PM
Well, I dunno if it was three years, my ability to guess time has always been terrible and having misplaced a year didn't help. But it's been a while .
Oh, ack, I'd be furious with said friend - I remember your poor computer dying now, too. At least it seems you've got a working computer again! Object making is a lot of fun in TS3, actually... just don't try a crib (grumble grumble). I have to say, for objects, if TSRW can do it (it can do most things, but not all), it's usually easier. S3PE and S3OC are great for when you know what you're doing .

For finding necklaces, I dunno how organised your mods are... but Dashboard can root out accessories for you, though I don't think it tells you what type of accessory they are.

Instructor
#30 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 4:23 PM
Thanks Whiterider. Yeah, I think it's been about two years. I actually inherited my father's computer because he died like a week after my computer. :-( He'd only had the computer for a month when it happened. That was another reason I wasn't much in to creation-- I was pretty depressed and cried every single day for the first year and a half. It's coming up on the two year mark on the 23rd of this month. His death was one of the reasons my sister's friend came and started taking things apart. She thought she was helping.

I've seen that some people suggest starting with TSRW for things that it can handle but using S3PE to tackle things that it can't and sort of going back and forth between the two. Are their interfaces drastically different?

I have the dashboard downloaded somewhere... I know I've used it a few times to sort through and get rid of corrupted and conflicting files. Thanks for the links. I'll have to check to see if I have the most up-to-date versions.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#31 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 5:38 PM
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that su! *hugs* I hope things are getting better, but it must have been a huge disruption.

TSRW and S3PE are very different.

TSRW is a big program designed for pretty basic modding, and intended to be fairly user-friendly and intuitive (it achieves this to varying degrees depending on what you're trying to do). It's also limited in that it won't let you do anything outside of what the developers had in mind when they built X feature. CTU is another smaller, CAS-specific modding tool. The UI is very different from TSRW's, but if you understand what you're doing it's not hard to switch between the two. CTU lacks some features from recent EPs (like the necklaces category, which is why I didn't offer instructions using it above).

.S3PE is the powertool - it allows you to open any package file and muck about with the contents, but it doesn't have nice tickboxes and previews and so on. It's intended to be used to pull the particular resource you need out of the package, so you can open it in another tool, edit it, then reimport the resource back into S3PE to complete your file. However, it also has a Grid function which, honestly, is sufficiently clear and usable that you can do pretty much anything you want to any resource you like using S3PE's grid, with a little bit of prior knowledge.

Instructor
#32 Old 19th Mar 2011 at 1:05 AM
Sorry for the delay in responding. I suppose I should take it to private messages if it is getting too off topic. Heh. Dashboard just saved my game. I was having horrible lag and it was loading incredibly slowly. Turns out I had some Sims 2 items installed. Oops.

I guess I'm going to have to just look at every accessory package that I'm not sure about and see if it is a necklace. Will TSRWS let me see a preview of the item?
Page 2 of 2