Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th May 2011 at 10:17 PM
Default Cereal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner
Most of my sims don't have a lot of cooking skill unless they're in the culinary career. This may be, in part, due to them eating cereal a good 85% of the time.

Food in this game is reeeeallllly filling. Although I don't know specific numbers, if 0 is the lowest point and 100 is the highest point, I'd say that cereal and the other quick meals give about 60 points and "meals," perhaps around 80.

Sometimes I end up having three meals between sims, meaning that I'll have two sims eat on their plates until they're full, cancel it out, and have the other sim eat the rest on the two plates (to avoid the 'Wasted food' moodlet). xD

When I have gardens, my sims rarely eat cereal. Hope you don't get tired of apples, Goopy, because that's what you're eating until you die. >(

How do your sims eat?

Check out my new blog - I Think My Cat Is An Alien
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 29th May 2011 at 10:23 PM
If they have a lot of free time I make them make a proper mean. If they have work or school then it's just cereal or bread and jam :p
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 29th May 2011 at 10:31 PM
I usually get them to make lots of autumn salads so they dont set the house on fire.

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honor that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
Scholar
#4 Old 29th May 2011 at 10:54 PM Last edited by jenieusa : 30th May 2011 at 7:25 AM.
i have them make a few different dinners and then stick them in the fridge...and grab a plate when needed....that way they can still at some
point learn a cooking skill through cooking....
Eminence Grise
#5 Old 29th May 2011 at 11:03 PM
It's all about the moodlets... if your sims have other things in their lives giving them positive moodlets most of the time, food doesn't matter so much. But otherwise, there IS a good gameplay reason to cook

However, with good use of leftovers, it can be pretty efficient.

Saw a mod here recently that decreases the fillingness of "quick meals", which makes a lot of sense to me.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 30th May 2011 at 2:33 AM
Usually I have at least one "natural cook" in the house - so if he/she has the time before dinner (depending on work/school/life schedules) we will have a REAL meal and refrigerate the leftovers. If not, it's soup or ice-cream for dinner. Breakfast is nearly always cereal or toast except for the weekends when we have watermelon pancakes on Saturday and the leftovers (if any!) on Sunday.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 30th May 2011 at 3:03 AM
Oh I WISH my sims would put the house on fire.

What I do is make my cooking sim in a household (I usually assign one Sim as the household cook) make one or three servings, usually a breakfast dish and a dinner dish and maybe a desert dish then have them put it in the fridge. Then at dinner time I drag the dinner plate to a counter and have one sim call everyone over to eat. Yes food gets spoiled on occasion and my Sims do have to eat the same thing for dinner a few days in a row until I take pity on them and have my cooking sim make an additional serving of dinner plate but it is much more convenient. Especially as my natural cook is a working man and it frees up my work at home Sim from having to cook.

If it is a family with kids I try to have my family eat together at least 3 times in a working weekday and always on weekends. But my sims really have weird eating habits especially my painter/hacker. On the times my Sims don't eat together they just raid the fridge and eat the leftovers. I try not to control what they eat although i am not overly fond when the Sim kids eat cookies for dinner.

I never noticed a wasted moodlet before and I would never have a Sim eat leftover of another Sim. They just eat till the disk is empty. Mostly because in real life that doesn't really happen. For instance in my family if we don't finish off our disk we just plast it over and store in the fridge for later.

Only time my sims eat cereal or drink juice is when they are in a hurry to catch the bus/go to work, I find they eat those much faster than the other cooked food.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 30th May 2011 at 5:30 AM
My sims learn cooking skill asap to make ambrosia but they don't actually cook very much because I usually cheat to fill their hunger bar which means most meals go to waste.

But my sims do seem to like snacking on raw garlic when I'm not looking.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 30th May 2011 at 6:19 AM
I have them stock up dried food whenever they travel. They are filling and the expensive kind give positive moodlets. They are important when playing firefighters or ghost hunters.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 30th May 2011 at 6:23 AM
Oh god yeah I love the dried food. But I always have to take it out of their inventory and store it in the chest or else they will eat that instead of real food when they get home.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 30th May 2011 at 12:01 PM
My sims are quite spoilt... I normally have one dedicated cook in the family so they tend to enjoy quite a variety. From Autumn Salads to Salmon or the very least goopy cabonara.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 30th May 2011 at 12:29 PM
My Sims cook depending on their personality. If the Sim likes keeping a nice home, or they are saving money/too poor to eat out, then they cook. But I do have some families where almost all the meals, they eat at the diner or order in, because they are too busy to make meals.

I don't let my Sims snack on the fridge snacks, because I don't like that it's free food. If the family is close, then they will have dinner together. With breakfast I do try to get them eating together, but with breakfast I'm not that strict as sometimes it's needed to rotate bathroom/breakfast rounds, so both things get done before the kids go to school.

My Sims don't usually ever have lunch. Even on weekends, they'll just have breakfast and dinner. Dinner is usually served after five so it's not a long wait.
#13 Old 30th May 2011 at 1:13 PM
Like some of the others I always have a cook in the house and when it's available (skillwise) it's fish and chip and lobster thermidor! Nom nom! Also I have plopped a food truck and several boxcar diners in my new world so my sims are never far from some kind of food. I renamed my diners McSims for some unknown reason *innocent face* because they have popped up everywhere!
Mad Poster
#14 Old 30th May 2011 at 1:27 PM
I usually play a natural cook, my self-sim, in most of my active lots. They always want to cook food, so I have them prepare and improve their cooking all the while there is always some type of food in the fridge of good or kicked up a notch quality. My other sims in the household benefit from it.

I must say the thread title give me memories of my college days. Yep, cereal was my menu morning, lunch, and dinner.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Alchemist
#15 Old 30th May 2011 at 1:38 PM
Whe nmy sims have a job they work from 6am to 4pm they're doomed to eat cereals for the rest of their lives, when I have a garden, they're doomed to eat apples for the rest of their lives.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#16 Old 30th May 2011 at 6:09 PM
I don't know why, but I love to have my Sims cook. Any sim who is a mother ends up being a fairly decent cook and I've had many sims reach level 10 in cooking.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 30th May 2011 at 7:17 PM
If it's a family or a household with 2 or more sims, I usually have one of the sims cook. They just cook every once in a while and put the leftovers in the fridge; I try to have one breakfast meal and one dinner/lunch meal so that they can eat whenever they get hungry. The meals are so filling though, usually my sims only eat twice a day.
If I'm playing a single sim who isn't in the culinary business, though, they usually just eat quick meals unless they have time for something better. That's how I operate in real life, so that's how my sims are going to operate too! :P
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 30th May 2011 at 7:52 PM
I usually have one cook in the household, or if they are too busy working I use the mod that allows sims to order food from the bistro and gets it delivered to the fridge... its so much easier :P
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 30th May 2011 at 7:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Wojtek
And then they have a very hmm so to say breath.Work from 6 AM to 4 PM?! Holy cow! That's even worse than in real life!

I usually grow vegetables in my sims' gardens and collect 80 tomatoes, lettuces and paprikas so that they never run out of salads. Sometimes when they visit their family or friends they steal food from them. When a member of the inactive family prepares food and takes a plate I order my sim to put it in the fridge. Then I can take it out and move to my sim's inventory and to the fridge in his or her house. It might be inappropriate but the food in the inactive families will either spoil or be gone left in the fridge. I have always wondered why sims in the inactive families eat so late (7 to 9 PM). My sims eat obiads at either 4 or 5 PM, not later. I also wonder why the inactive families' food options are so limited. They keep eating salads or hot-dogs all the time. I think I have to teach my sims cooking and let them enjoy better meals.

My sims eat late (7-8 PM) because by the time morning comes, they're starving. o_O

Check out my new blog - I Think My Cat Is An Alien
Field Researcher
#20 Old 30th May 2011 at 8:28 PM
I only have them cook with a stove if they have the Natural Cook trait. The rest of my Sims tend to burn it then hate the meal. So, if there aren't any Natural Cooks in my family, it's Autumn Salad and PB&J for them!(;
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 31st May 2011 at 1:08 AM
If my sims are in a rush to get ready, like going to work or getting to bed to wake up in the morning, I usually just give them a quick snack or juice. My sim generally makes at least one meal a day, usually dinner after work if they don't go out with friends. If that happens, they usually just eat where they go out. I've always tried to keep the families eating together so they can eat as much as 1 meal as they can before I put it away for left overs.
Inventor
#22 Old 31st May 2011 at 3:09 AM
Usually it's a quick meal for breakfast, then they eat at work/school for lunch, and they have autumn salad or something else that doesn't take long for dinner.

Unless of course, they're a sim that's into cooking.
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 31st May 2011 at 3:30 AM
Call me traditional, but I always makes the mum cooks, while the dad repair stuffs. It just seems natural to me.