Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Mar 2011 at 11:21 PM
question about modifying accessories...
i recently downloaded NewSea's Rabbit Ear accessory, but i found a problem with it, the ears sit way ABOVE the sims head, making it near impossible to use with EA-created hairs, i'd be perfectly willing to modify this accessory to make it sit closer to the sims head, if only i could find a program/tutorial to do so...

sorry if this seems out of place or has been answered before hand, i'm new (i know, not an excuse!) and have searched everywhere and can't find information regarding this subject...also, if anyone has already altered the rabbit ears accessory, could you post the link?

thanks in advance:
--Rabbit

PS: i have NO EXPERIENCE with creating, so if you could provide links to helpful programs with which to can complete aforementioned rabbit ear modifying, i'd be much obliged and ever grateful
Advertisement
Mother Function
retired moderator
#2 Old 12th Mar 2011 at 4:45 AM
This is very simple modification that just requires a little bit of fiddling in a 3D meshing program. The only thing is, this simple modification requires a lot of hoops to be jumped through before you can get to the "easy" part.

I'm not sure if the rabbit ears come in a package or sims3pack, I'll assume sims3pack because it's from Newsea at TSR so you're going to need TSR Workshop. You can also convert the sims3pack to a package via the Multi Extractor, however, you'll have to rebuild the package manually after the edit which would be a lot harder than using TSRW.

Next you're going to need a 3D program, Blender and/or Milkshape is best suited. Milkshape is easiest because TSRW communicates directly with it. The only issue is that Milkshape is pay, but there is a free trail so you should be okay. Blender is free but it's a little more tricky to master. But (there's always a but) we do have some Blender masters who could possibly help you.

Anyhoos, you're going to need to import the sims3pack into TSRW and give your project a new name. You some how have to export the meshes of the ears out of TSRW to be able to edit them in your 3D program. If you do it the easy way by using TSRW's mesh format exporter, you will NEED Milkshape. However, I think you can export the meshes as .geoms to be used in Blender. Needless to say you'll need to read up on how to use TSRW because explaining every little detail would take eons. And, I'm not all to familiar with TSRW CAS creation. :p

Moving on. Import whatever mesh file you have into the correct program and simply move the ears down along the Y axis to your desired height. Then export that mesh and reimport into TSRW. Then save.

That *should* be it.

-------------------

Going the package route, use the Multi Extractor to get the sims3pack in a package file. Open this package file with S3PE and export the geom files.

Open them into Blender or Milkshape and do the same edit as above.

The trick here is that you cannot directly import the geoms back into the package because the bumpmap assignments will be off (I think). You can try opening the package into CTU and reimporting the meshes there, but TSRW creations do not always play nice. So, you'll have to rebuild the package by extracting textures and such. Once again, you'll need to read up on CAS creation and how to use the CTU, specifically with accessories.

This text makes the process look way harder than it actually is. The real stickler here is that it's hard to give a step by step process of how to do this (even though it is simple once you get to it). You just kinda have to...dive in and keep failing until you get it! Most creations/edits/modifications take a variety of tutorials and steps to get to the finished product.

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Mar 2011 at 5:55 AM
thanks for the help, but i might just try to find different ears

i'm not the best with programs of that sort, i thought it would be something a little more...erm...'simple' lol, like open it up in one program, edit the axis, save, done...

i probably sound stupid, but thanks for the reply in any case, i appreciate it