Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Aug 2014 at 11:15 PM
Default A Western Styled Ranch - Feels a Bit Incomplete
I've been inspired and built this 40X30 ranch. I'm trying to go base game, no custom content for simplicity and convenience. I'm not going cheap or expensive, but balanced. I'd like some feedback between some of the aspects of my build. I feel like I've established the feel I was going for but this is still incomplete and empty in some places. This isn't the final product as there will be a ton of tweaking down the road.

The Pictures(Mega-Picture Gallery Alert) :

Things I Know of and I Plan to Fix:
  • The roof looks really odd in a couple of places
  • The second bathroom is pretty empty
  • The landscaping is rough looking in some areas
  • That one missing tile in the second bathroom

Particular Parts I'm Concerned about:
  • The landscaping feels... okay to say the least
  • The patio is pretty empty
  • The bedrooms
Any suggestions to improve this ranch? I'm open to any comments you might have.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 9:43 AM
first thing to say i like the general comfyness of the place and enjoy the garden/fence/riding place thing you created a lot. and i like the floor plan - the entrance area looks so interesting. maybe it would look even better if you organize the kitchen and living area by seperating it via placing tiles in the kitchen section? i would like that.
and also maybe its just me as an outsider from shmovesia having wrong romantic associations with the term "ranch" but i expected some more rural and rustic looking details inside the house and maybe in the garden. i really appreciate your plan making this house BGC (yeah that rocks!) and a lot of specific rural stuff came with Pets EP sadly...but maybe you find a way creating little more country style atmosphere with base game objects (like you already did with the sunflowers and cow patterns). country / ranch means more pots and pans and rustic looking tiles to me. so to say: if the house isnt meant to be modern ranch but closer to my romantic expectations a lot can be done via patterns and wee bit "antique" recolouring.
but all in all thats already an awesomly comfy place to live in

<< ... too old-fashioned to die young-fashioned >>
Scholar
#3 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 1:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by shmovese
...maybe its just me as an outsider from shmovesia having wrong romantic associations with the term "ranch" but i expected some more rural and rustic looking details inside the house and maybe in the garden.
You're not entirely wrong with that association, but as a style of housing, the "Ranch Style" is pretty much as seen here.
The first thing that stands out to me is the windows and doors; I'd re-colour them so that the outer sides are darker and the internal sides are the same colours as the skirting boards of the respective rooms they lead on to rather than having them stand out from everything else in the room. I'd also suggest adding curtains to the back bedroom, just like you've done in the front bedroom. Also, in the front bedroom, I'd suggest changing the colour of the wood floor to match the rest of the wood flooring or replacing it with carpet, like you've done already in the back bedroom. I know these kinds of homes were naturally quite bland, but I'd suggest adding a bit more colour here and there in the form of wall coverings and rugs, as well as the current soft furnishings; just to make it feel more warm and inviting. The general layout is good, although I feel like there's quite a bit of wasted space, especially with the inaccessible spaces off of the front bedroom and also between the lounge and the kitchen-dinner, maybe it could be reworked a little to bring these spaces back in to use, especially in the front bedroom. I'd also change the colour of the stairs to match the wood flooring that they each lead up to. Finally, the porches; as a finishing touch I'd suggest adding a couple of benches and end tables with candles on and some wall-mounted hanging baskets just to make them feel more inviting,
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 9:40 PM
Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been able to play for a couple of days. Thank you both for the suggestions! I will note these things and do a little more research on my ranch home.