Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Dec 2010 at 6:49 PM Last edited by -Mallow- : 21st Dec 2010 at 4:46 PM.
Default Accessory, morphstates, 3Ds -> Cursed shine
I have created a collar necklace, created LODs and tested in game, it works.
Now I need to create all morph states. My problem is that I would like to modify the mesh in 3ds rather than in milkshape, since I am able to control 3ds better. But if I import this mesh from milkshape into 3ds as obj or as smd, then edit the mesh's shape so it suits fat/fit/thin bodies (keeping same vertext amount) - or even if I will not edit the mesh but just import it back, copy morph comments for these meshes and try to export it, I get this message: "Face list of base group must match morph face list"

I figured out it might be because every time I import the mesh back to MS and example try to export it as geom, I get error that I must split the seams, so that is why these two meshes aren't identical anymore.

So How can I export/import the mesh in and out from 3ds back to milkshape without having to split the seams again and again. Does anyone have idea how to do this?
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Dec 2010 at 7:21 PM
Did you remember to use Autonum before exporting? I wouldn't be surprised if the program hopping stuffed up the vertex numbering, and certainly if you've added vertices you'll need to renumber them.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Dec 2010 at 10:21 PM
I tested now autonum on the mesh before exporting the mesh back to 3ds but importing it back still keeps giving the same errors. Everything works fine if I merely dublicate the mesh in MS and edit it for all the morphstates but the result isn't really pretty since I suck at handling Milkshape's scaling tool.... I hope there would be a way to do those edits using 3ds, it is not like I'm adding any vertices, shapes or removing anything, so the mesh should still be identical after reimporting the mesh back, but no.
Sockpuppet
#4 Old 20th Dec 2010 at 10:28 PM
Alot 3d proggy's will weld identical vertices on import and 3ds is prolly doing the same.
I know Poser has a popup window were you have the option wether you want them welded or not.
No options on import with 3ds?

edit,
You could try to import the base mesh and all morphs in MS and use the tile texture mapper.
It will divide the meshes again with the uvmap as reference.
Its riski and if you use it the base mesh should be welded too before trying.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Dec 2010 at 11:02 PM
the mesh remains with split seams when importing as obj into 3Ds, it doesn't weld automaticly. But when importing back into MS, might it be that milkshape welds those vertices then? Even if I split the seams in 3ds and import it into Ms I get the usual note that I must split the seams again.

But I'll try that method of importing all and using tile texture mapper. But may I ask what do you mean by the "base mesh should be welded too before trying" Do you mean the mesh should not have split seams before using the tool... ? now I'm a bit confused, could you tell me a bit more, thank you ?
Sockpuppet
#6 Old 21st Dec 2010 at 1:20 AM Last edited by BloomsBase : 21st Dec 2010 at 1:37 AM.
If you get the message ''split up the seams first'' then there are vertices somehow welded together.
Wat importer you using when you import them back into MS?

Both 3ds and MS have a polygon/vertice checker, see if there is a diffrence in both programs.

I ment, if you get the error only on the morphs and use the tile texture mapper on them there prolly still be a diffrence between the base mesh and the morphs.
So i would import all 5 meshes and weld all the seems so that they all are identical, then use the tile texture mapper.
But like i said, its a riski tool...often messes things up.

If i were you i would.
import a GEOM file in Milkshape
Rename the meshname to body
Export it as objx file(saving skeleton and bone data)
Export as obj file
Import the obj file in 3ds and duplicate it to make new morphs
export each seperate out of 3ds(overwrite the body file for the base mesh, morphs you can name watever you like))
Import the base mesh obj file( the one from 3ds) back into MS
Import the objx file
Import all morphs(one by one but rename them in between)
Fix all the comments on the base mesh and morphs
Use autonum tool
Export as GEOM

This is how i once made a few various bodyshapes with magnets in Poser, works well

You could do a simple test by importing the obj file into 3ds and export it back again.
Then import that obj file back into MS and import its objx file.
If you get a error then 3ds has somehow changed the obj file.

another thing you need to check is the uvmap, it sometimes flips.
This might also cause your error(not 100% sure tho)

Edit,
I read your making accesoires?
If you make accesoires and want them slider enabled you can use the comments from a basegame accesoire but you need to edit the line '' FVFItems: 6 ''
Change the 6 into a 7 as accesoires are by default not enabled to use with the sliders.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Dec 2010 at 11:01 AM Last edited by -Mallow- : 21st Dec 2010 at 4:46 PM.
I import all the files as obj. from 3ds to MS or out of MS.

EDIT: Well I managed to get the 3Ds problem solved now, Thank you Bloom

The accessory works well in the game, and so do all the morphstates. But again I have the metallic shine in this accessory in CAS. This time I have every single part of the mesh mapped separately and even the Specularmap is almost black.

so what could be causing the problem this time?
I just wish to get rid of this shine problem which seems to happen to the most of the meshes created from scratch.
Sockpuppet
#8 Old 21st Dec 2010 at 5:55 PM
if you are sure you fixed the normals then it must be a texture file.
wrong format
linked wrong
or just not there

you always can upload the file so we can have a look
another thing i mentioned, you can not duplicate parts, mirror them and leave the uvmap as it is.
Exept for hair all GEOM meshparts need their own spot on the uvmap.

did you use a accesoire as basegame clone?(or a clothing file)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 21st Dec 2010 at 6:46 PM Last edited by -Mallow- : 22nd Dec 2010 at 3:15 PM.
I used accessory as basegame clone - "Bracelets goth" mesh.
I uploaded a Rar. file which includes milkshape file with the mesh, the UVmap of the mesh, and the finished sims3. package file. (However the textures are plank gray as only for test, I haven't done the final textures since if it turns out that I must fix UVmap I would have done that for nothing, but these current texture files are supposed to be right formats)
I appreciate if you could take a look to see what's the problem, thank you.
Sockpuppet
#10 Old 22nd Dec 2010 at 1:33 PM
Added a 2nd design with links to the original textures before i booted the game.
But yours looks ok to me.
Maybe deleting your caches?

also had a look at the uvmap you included, perfect

srry bout his butt showing lol
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 22nd Dec 2010 at 3:12 PM
Glad to know it works for you, should work for others too without that shine metal then.
Man, I have to admit the collar makes that type of guy veery gayish looking works better for the asian pretty boy fashion for who I was requested to plan it.

Well Thank you for all help
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#12 Old 22nd Dec 2010 at 3:18 PM
Surely the whole point of the asian prettyboy thing is that they tend to look like twinks?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 22nd Dec 2010 at 3:20 PM
Yes, agreed on that one, can't disagree how asians tend to make them a bit, or over gayish as well. But oh well, everyone has their taste, I just create what asian community seems to want.