Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#76 Old 23rd Feb 2011 at 10:47 PM
I would like to thank smacksim2 for mentioning two of my worlds in his review even though they both got negative reviews. Bad press is better than no press. I did however want to add a comment of two. Montego Bay is ugly if you look at it from map view but when I built it my idea was a group of islands connected by bridges or causeways. If you look at the date it was created it's over a year old. When I uploaded it CAW had only been out for a few weeks. Sand Key is new and it is flat. Key West's highest elevation point is something like eighteen feet and I was going for a Florida keys look. Perhaps the reviewer would like to post some pictures of his worlds so we could see his work.

There are many truly beautiful worlds available today and I download some of them and actually play some of them. My favorite creator is Rflong7. Her worlds are outstanding in every way and they play well. Anything she does is worth a look.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#77 Old 23rd Feb 2011 at 11:39 PM
Yeah, after I wrote that I realized I was awfully harsh considering how playable all these worlds are. My apologies richdre. I know you're a much admired builder in the community which just means nobody will take my post seriously, rather than the other way around. One of the strengths of the community is the diversity of opinions as far as 'what's good' and 'what isn't', which makes me realize that perhaps a review would be better sticking to the facts rather than concentrating on personal opinion. (shrug) There is something to be said for both types of review. Damn, there goes my foot into my mouth again... At least I did mention that I am reviewing from my own personal aesthetic point of view. Sorry for being an ***.

As far as posting my own work: I'm barely able to run CAW on my computer and so gave up after a couple of fruitless hour long sessions. I do have access to better machines from time to time so I may try again. Either way I did get a sense of just how difficult and slow-going CAW is with regards to putting an idea into implementation. It's no Sim City landscape-and-go tool... at all. If I do come up with something I will post it for scrutiny, even if I have to host it myself. The aesthetic I'd go for is something like Niua Simoa, but a little bit larger and broader. I doubt that even with 100 hours at CAW that I could really achieve that aesthetic though. I'm either not patient enough or talented enough to create such consistent and cohesive landscapes across a large area.. in any medium.

I think I'll go edit that review now.
Test Subject
#78 Old 23rd Feb 2011 at 11:48 PM
Thanks for the link, Smacksim. I enjoyed your review of these worlds!
Lab Assistant
#79 Old 23rd Feb 2011 at 11:50 PM
Hey, look who's here! Pipe up Kate. We know you love a certain Palmity Palm Island
Inventor
#80 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 9:08 AM
I found a nifty link at the main forum that gives a lot of the lot addresses for the exchange. http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/279596.page

It is like an index list for the ones available in the exchange. We should do one for here that stays a sticky, because this is the most fun I have had with Sims 3

Until now I didnt even laugh.
Lab Assistant
#81 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 5:33 PM
That's a good idea Kestie. You get the first 100 worlds and we'll go from there! No, but really, it is a good idea. An index of as many custom worlds as possible, with a few notes about size, housing, geography, etc..
Retired
retired moderator
#82 Old 27th Feb 2011 at 1:20 PM Last edited by kiwi_tea : 27th Feb 2011 at 1:31 PM.
I love Los Aniegos and all of Rflong7's little worlds. I do think the best world makers congregate on the official boards, and they have a really great culture in the CAW forum there, but it does come intermingled with the messiness and trivialities of those boards as well. If anyone has a world they really want to review, I've tried to set up Pasimfic Wiki with the reviews section, but I tend to run out of time to (a) play worlds to review (b) write reviews. Most of the reviewing is in the playing, so you guys who play worlds and want to review them please, please join the wiki and do so: http://pasimficandbeyond.wikia.com/...ategory:Reviews

Here are the two reviews I've put up so far:

http://pasimficandbeyond.wikia.com/..._Rflong7_and_co.

http://pasimficandbeyond.wikia.com/...s_by_Coasterboi

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Eminence Grise
#83 Old 27th Feb 2011 at 9:58 PM
Wow, Kiwi_Tea, that's a great idea. You should put the link in your sig, more people would find it
Top Secret Researcher
#84 Old 27th Feb 2011 at 10:18 PM
Wait a sec, there are actual houses inside the domes on Moon Base Delta? :/
Mad Poster
#85 Old 27th Feb 2011 at 10:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kaospilot
Wait a sec, there are actual houses inside the domes on Moon Base Delta? :/

Yep, love the way they enter the lot. Quite inventive. I haven't played any sims in those lots, but looks like they have no problems entering them. I just don't like having to zoom in so I can get pass the dome while playing.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Top Secret Researcher
#86 Old 27th Feb 2011 at 11:27 PM
:o That is awesome! I have to try that world out now
Test Subject
#87 Old 28th Feb 2011 at 7:01 AM
So far, I've gotten rid of all the custom worlds I've download except Coconut Island. It's great! I've only played 1.0 for the base game 'cause I skipped WA and AM but it's cool anyway. I'm dying for him to release 3.0 and another base game version of that or 4.0.
Top Secret Researcher
#88 Old 2nd Mar 2011 at 3:35 AM
Default Rovington
So far one of my favorite worlds is Rovington, it hasnt been released yet but it looks amazing. Its like this set of island with bridges and its just amazing. Google:"rovington sims 3" and you should find it
Field Researcher
#89 Old 2nd Mar 2011 at 10:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Riptide651
So far one of my favorite worlds is Rovington, it hasnt been released yet but it looks amazing. Its like this set of island with bridges and its just amazing. Google:"rovington sims 3" and you should find it

I'm also anxious to try Rovington.

At first, I was a bit turned off as I don't like the look or feel of most islands but the creator has really transformed it into an extremely "modern" isle.

So excited!
Inventor
#90 Old 3rd Mar 2011 at 8:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
Yep, love the way they enter the lot. Quite inventive. I haven't played any sims in those lots, but looks like they have no problems entering them. I just don't like having to zoom in so I can get pass the dome while playing.

I have and its really really fun you can put in a garden under the dome next to the house and they become self sustaining. Also you can put the EVA outside with some solar pannels and windmills and they have their own car. You can add to the under area so there is an emergency repair area and dome failure quarters . I think its my second favorite world.
Inventor
#91 Old 3rd Mar 2011 at 8:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by smacksim2
That's a good idea Kestie. You get the first 100 worlds and we'll go from there! No, but really, it is a good idea. An index of as many custom worlds as possible, with a few notes about size, housing, geography, etc..

oooo I do tend to be wordy and unreadable, lets not include me in anything presentable.
Test Subject
#92 Old 3rd Mar 2011 at 12:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kiwi_tea
Most of the reviewing is in the playing, so you guys who play worlds and want to review them please, please join the wiki and do so:

Reviewing worlds is a great idea, PROVIDED that the reviewers have actually played the world for a while. Anyone can look at a few screenshots. But screenshots can be deceptive. In fact, they often are deliberately deceptive.

Similarly, a reviewer can simply load up a world and take a five minute tour, judging the "prettiness" factor. But this is akin to judging a book by it's cover.

To be really valuable, a reviewer needs to spend a lot of time with the world, unless the world is obviously poorly made. The defects in a poorly made world usually become apparent pretty quickly.

But for a reasonably well made world, the reviewer should have played the world for at least several sims weeks and have run it through a variety of different professions and game styles. Most reviewers don't do this.
Space Pony
#93 Old 3rd Mar 2011 at 8:22 PM
Georgia Falls. Awesome world filled with great houses.
Mad Poster
#94 Old 3rd Mar 2011 at 8:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kestie Freehawk
I have and its really really fun you can put in a garden under the dome next to the house and they become self sustaining. Also you can put the EVA outside with some solar pannels and windmills and they have their own car. You can add to the under area so there is an emergency repair area and dome failure quarters . I think its my second favorite world.

That is good to know about the garden. Might push me to play a family under the dome.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Alchemist
#95 Old 3rd Mar 2011 at 11:29 PM
i kinda wish we could make our own custom vacation worlds, too....

or did i miss something and we can?

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#96 Old 4th Mar 2011 at 1:18 AM
You can make default replacements, which is almost the same:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=421319
Alchemist
#97 Old 5th Mar 2011 at 10:09 PM
and of course, like a boss, i forgot to mention that my favorite custom world is Alpine Shores. really just a mashup of familiar lots from most other towns, but i really dig the scenery.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Forum Resident
#98 Old 6th Mar 2011 at 5:30 PM
Los Aneigos IS incredible.. the detail! I only started playing it after reading the posts on these forums, so, cheers! A LOT!! It's a bit laggy on my comp, but I'm prepared to put up with it because it's beautiful. Los Aneigos in combination with Twallan's Story Progression and Personality Modules makes the game feel alive!

Go suck an elf...
Lab Assistant
#99 Old 7th Mar 2011 at 6:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
Overlook Bay is the best one for me. It ticks all the boxes and is highly customisable.

I like Los Aniegos, alot, but I don't like the way the land just cuts off in a straight line, it breaks the immersion somewhat. But awesome otherwise.
And whatever the latest version of Coconut Island is. I don't normally like island hoods, but I love the bamboo/atoll type of vibe it has.

I tried to look Overlook bay up, but I just keep getting that it's not finished yet? It looks beautiful though!
Lab Assistant
#100 Old 7th Mar 2011 at 6:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kiatyn
There's a tunnel? Really? Where?

and yes for twin peaks. That would be fun

I would LOVE it if someone made twin peaks!!
Page 4 of 42