Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Mar 2015 at 9:30 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Free Time
Default is there a way to stop sims from always useing that one object?
some objects, in this case the bar, get used by the sims ALL the time. is there a way to stop them from going back to an object over and over? an object thats less rewarding but does tge same? or a global hack?
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 29th Mar 2015 at 9:47 PM Last edited by Lili975 : 13th Sep 2020 at 3:03 PM.
The bar is a problem in itself. I use Cyjon's Fewer Drunks which does reduce the bar obsession, it makes it less attractive. I now allow my sims to have bars, which was impossible for me before, that mod is great. (Even though I don't see my sims drinking from the bottle anymore because of it )

Try also placing the bar so that it's not too close to the front of the lot (even upstairs), or the place where the sims sleep, and hopefully something else will catch their attention first when they wake up/come home.

Since you have FT, there's also the wooden juice bar, I don't know the name. They seem to be less obsessive about that one

Pescado also has a noadhd mod that's supposed to prevent the crazy starting/stopping/starting again/stopping loops (this is the FT version since that's your last EP).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Mar 2015 at 10:54 PM
you know I actuly don't have free time. I thought I did. I got confused with one of my stuff packs. If I remember how to change I might change it or I might just buy free time for real. think any one cares that I only just now found out thatbinfo was wrong?
Undead Molten Llama
#4 Old 30th Mar 2015 at 2:19 AM
The problem is that Maxis set the advertising (The thing that Sims use to determine what they'll prefer to use in a given situation) so high that certain objects will just trump everything, creating obsession. The Sims are like moths to flames when in proximity to such an object. In looking at it, it seems to me that they set stuff that was more likely to be used on community lots -- bars, card/game tables, bubble blowers, exercise machines, etc. -- very high, I'm thinking probably so that visiting Sims would be drawn to using those items and staying on the community lot. So, in some ways, it's a good thing. It makes for a more lively, well-used community lot, which is especially a good thing on owned community lots, where you want Sims to stay for a long time so you earn more money. But obsession problems do arise when you try to use such objects in a more residential setting.

With custom objects, it's quite easy to adjust the advertising. Just open the object in SimPE, go to the appropriate screen, and fiddle with some numbers, test the results, go back and adjust, etc.. It's lots of trial and error and testing, but it's more time-consuming than difficult. With Maxis objects, it's a little more involved, a few extra steps. You can either clone the object, put it on a new GUID, and then fuss with the advertising on the clone. That way, you can have one with Maxis settings (for community lots) and one with lowered settings (for residential lots). Or you can make an override that will affect the object globally, if you don't want two versions. This is actually a project that I'm working on myself, fiddling with the autonomy/advertising of both Maxis and custom objects that I use. I've been slowly sharing them on my Tumblr as I get them made and tested. I'm also working on putting together a tutorial about it, so that others can do it for themselves. After all, other people might not like the settings that I like.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 30th Mar 2015 at 9:54 AM
No need to do that - just extact out the appropriate BHav (is it?) and do it as a default.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Undead Molten Llama
#6 Old 30th Mar 2015 at 11:07 AM
I don't know if its a BHAV, actually. I access the info via the object's TTAB, its pie menu interactions. There, I can set the interactions to be autonomous or not, allow visitors to do the interactions or not, and tweak the advertising for each interaction. It might all be linked to BHAVs, though. I imagine it probably is. although I don't know how because, really, I don't know about this stuff much at all. But for my own purposes, I'm kind of liking the tweaking not being global. I'm kind of liking having selected tweaked clones of various kinds of objects so that I can have the original Maxis advertising in play or my tweaks, depending on the situation. It clutters up the catalogs a bit, but it gives me options, whereas a mod that affects all bars (or whatever sort of object) by altering BHAVs would mean that the advertising would be tweaked across the board, and I might not want that on community lots where I want Sims to be drawn to stuff more strongly. I might want lots of drunks at my owned community-lot bar so that I can get a lot of money out of them, but not so many drunks in my houses, where I want them to do something other than drink until they're three sheets to the wind.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.