Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jan 2017 at 6:07 AM Last edited by Goodywood : 6th Feb 2017 at 5:14 AM. Reason: New Subject
Default Figuring out how to save lots bigger than 64x64.
I'm referencing this thread here: http://modthesims.info/t/259065

I remember reading this a few years ago, and I read that it crashes the game. Well, it is 2017 and I was hoping maybe someone found a way to make lots bigger than 64x64 or at least being able to build outside the lot. :lovestruc
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#2 Old 4th Feb 2017 at 5:08 AM Last edited by Goodywood : 6th Feb 2017 at 5:15 AM.
Can someone tell me how to make lots bigger than the 64x64 so I can test it myself and crash my game? lol But seriously, I would like to figure out as way to have bigger lots and be able to save the game.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 4th Feb 2017 at 6:13 AM
Maybe with lot adjuster? I don't know, as far as I know it crashes the game and hasn't been done.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 4th Feb 2017 at 8:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Maybe with lot adjuster? I don't know, as far as I know it crashes the game and hasn't been done.

Thank you for replying @joandsarah77 . I'm going to try it out. Maybe someone can tell me why it crashes?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Feb 2017 at 5:09 AM
I'm going to need help. I was hoping @Mootilda could tell me how to make the lots bigger than 64x64. I know it will crash my game but I want to try it. And then I want to try to figure out how to save it. Maybe there is a way to save it manually? I'm not a modder/hacker so I don't know what I'm going exactly, but I will try to figure this out, hopefully with someone's help.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th Feb 2017 at 5:23 AM
I just read this thread: http://modthesims.info/t/397407#postbitpopover_3115959

Seems to be impossible. But Mootilda did mention if EA gave us the files to work with we could try to make a patch. However, she does say that EA most likely would never give it at that time, but it has been 13 (?) years now since TS2 release. I wonder if they would give it to us now. Can you imagine all the things we could do if we had access to those files. I mean I don't know anything about programming but I know there are a lot in the community who do. I would also love to learn one day.
Scholar
#7 Old 6th Feb 2017 at 9:34 AM
I don’t think they would, they own the rights for that game and they definitely don’t want to get rid of them and publicly share the source code.

As for the big lots, even if it were possible to save them without crashing, they wouldn’t be very playable, unless you want to play on empty lots. Even medium or small lots can be laggy if there is lots of stuff and lots of sims on them, forget something huge. My resort, which is a 5x6 beach lot (so large), has like 8 FPS when I zoom out to see the whole thing (mostly because of how many plants I put there), and my specs are decent so it’s not the hardware issue, it’s just how the game was designed. If I had a similar building on a 128x128 lot, the game would probably crash if I zoomed out to see the whole area, because the computer wouldn’t be able to handle it. It’d be better if objects that are further away changed to their low-poly version, and then back to normal when you zoom in, but TS2 doesn’t have that mechanic. TS3 does, for example all the lots in the world aren’t fully loaded, they only are if they’re close enough. And also TS3 plants are quite low poly for all I know, they just rotate along with the camera movement so they seem more 3D than they actually are.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#8 Old 6th Feb 2017 at 3:44 PM
Unfortunately Mootilda won't be able to help you, she sadly died a couple of years ago.

That said, I believe you can set your lot size to higher than 64*64 in LotAdjuster - if you can go on from there to figure out a way to make them not crash the game, I'd love to hear it! Make sure you run your experiments on a testing neighbourhood that you don't mind having to delete if it gets messed up.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Feb 2017 at 9:45 PM
Okay I tried to make the Lot bigger than the largest but LotAdjuster didn't allow me too. So I'm guessing I'll have to get "LotAdjusterSource"which is for programmers and I'm not a programmer, but perhaps I have to turn off the limit she set on there?

(I feel so bad without Mootilda being here. I'm trying to move forward, but it is going to take time I guess.)