Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#526 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 8:16 PM
I love all of them. Seriously. My least favorite would probably be Seasons, just because I've had a lot of Sims die from tree fires XD
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#527 Old 6th May 2012 at 11:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Well, we're in agreement on University (though I'd put it ahead of Apartment Life), but you totally lose me on FreeTime. I installed it recently and Grandma's Comfort Soup and the secondary aspirations totally make up for the stupid hobby people, so far. But I don't make movies.

Eh, I'm a sort of big movie maker, so FreeTime's annoying to me. But really, it's just the way you play/matter of opinion.

the token lesbian
(currently wishing it was 2011 again)
please ignore my cringy username. just call me jorgel.
Forum Resident
#528 Old 10th May 2012 at 6:33 PM
I have all expansion packs and stuff pack and I don't think I could play without them. With all the great mods/hacks and custom content available you can customize your game play to eliminate those things that may annoy you or you don't find interesting; you can also add another depth of dimension to your gameplay. It's almost impossible for me to choose a favorite because they are inter-connected. Sims are different and interested in differnt things so every expansion pack has something for each of them. I don't play a Downtown because for me I found that other than the being able to drive cars and the objects Downtown is unnecessary I don't do vamps or werewolves and the lots I could live without. I also create my own in-hood hobby lots so the game hobby membership lots are not necessary. I used to feel frustrated with Seasons, but since I no longer have to worry about fires and lightening killing my sims it's all good.
Scholar
#529 Old 10th May 2012 at 10:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Baby Ronno

though I don't understand why all the gripe about horses

Because people love their horses just like they love their cats and dogs! I wanted horses in my game to represent my horse, Bessie, who is the apple of my eye!
Test Subject
#530 Old 13th May 2012 at 10:48 AM
trying to decide between getting pets and free time. my laptops getting kinda laggy with all the CC and after apartment i swore never again but the sim bug's itching me, I'll most likely get both when i get a new laptop BUT for now, pets or freetime?

A bit about my playstyle. I really love making things from home as an income source instead of regulars jobs so i think freetime wold be grat for this. At the same time I really connect more with stories that involve pets, it adds a very human element. however the last time i played pets was in sims1 and tbh it was overall just lame, is there a big improvement from the two or is it similar?
Instructor
#531 Old 13th May 2012 at 11:03 AM
Freetime is the most useful ep. Families with no pets feel incomplete when I play them now. Personally i'd go with FT first.
Test Subject
#532 Old 13th May 2012 at 11:15 AM
I'm only allowing myself to pick one at the moment. Why free time? I was leaning towards pets but I'm wondering how the secondary aspiration changes gameplay as well as the hobby traits. Are they easy to fill in between regular game play or are they something you need to set out to complete?

from what I can tell pets seem to be a really hit or miss, love or hate it kinda of EP whereas FT is getting a lotta good words.
Mad Poster
#533 Old 13th May 2012 at 1:03 PM
The pets function very differently from the way they did in Unleashed. They're still uncontrollable, but you can look at their needs, relationships, and skills in the heads-up display (not in their wants; they don't seem to have any). They aren't quite so dependent, can have jobs, and are customizable if you go to the pet store - you can choose and edit the appearance and personality at the point of sale, so your grouchy macho type can get an aggressive, independent toy apricot poodle and your nice family man can get a friendly, cowardly rottweiler if that's what floats your boat. You can also encourage or discourage certain behaviors, not just tricks, so the poodle can be trained to chase the mailman and the rottweiler can be trained to befriend the world.

Alas, the poodle cannot be trained to attack the burglar, and there is no raccoon, so no more epic battles between Bandit and Fido. Large pets can fight each other and have limited interactions with cage pets, mostly involving scaring the life out of the poor things.

If you want to avoid regular jobs the most important EPs are Open For Business, which introduced crafting stations, and Seasons, which allows sims to become self-sustaining by growing and catching their own food, which they also have the option to sell. Freetime crafting stations can also generate income, but the major income-producing mechanics were introduced in OFB. The secondaries do change gameplay - mostly for the better, IMHO, though it is way too easy to get to permaplat and the hobby people are annoying (but both these things can be changed with a mod).

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Instructor
#534 Old 13th May 2012 at 1:56 PM
I thought it sounded like hard work too but the more you work at hobbies the more you have free time for everything else. You could go downtown and party from dusk til dawn and still get up for work. The prefered hobby trait speeds the process I believe but sims can have 3 or 4 hobbies if they like. Once they get into something it takes very little to maintain their interest. Secondary Aspiration definitely broadens sims horizons.

Who exactly are hobby people? The friends they bring home from work? I do have a mod to stop them bringing the same person home each time.
Mad Poster
#535 Old 13th May 2012 at 2:07 PM
The hobby people are the ones who run the lots, call to offer magazine subscriptions, and invade your house to offer you membership cards. It can be really disconcerting when they walk through locked doors at midnight, and the phone calls are almost never convenient, but they only do each of those things once per sim.

The very best thing about Freetime, the reason I got it, is Comfort Soup, which allows any person with a family aspiration and a point to spend to cure flu.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
#536 Old 14th May 2012 at 2:25 AM
Well I have OFB and Seasons is my one and only. If I ever have to only use 1 EP it'd be seasons, it's also a reason I haven't converted to sims3 xD

Now I'm kind of getting sold on the scondary aspiration thing.

"the more you work at hobbies the more you have free time for everything else"
What do you mean by this? I thought that focusing on hobbies would mean less time to work on skills or promotions and might get in the way of looking after kids etc. and end up in some forgotten corner of failed aspirations and wants.
Instructor
#537 Old 14th May 2012 at 6:13 AM
You get rewards along the way that slow all needs decay for all ages. Most of these are given soon after beginning a hobby. Eating, sleeping, showering and socializing will take up much less time in your day, as will your hobbies, leaving you more time to do anything else. You can get the rewards without being obsessed about a hobby. Wants are easy to fulfill when they are hobby related and you only need to do them for a couple of sim minutes. However having full enthusiasm in a hobby makes them forget everything else so their needs practically stop for a while. They could go 10 hours at a hobby and still be near max motives.

Everyone gets the opportunity to gain more days paid leave at work, much higher correct guesses at chance cards, better chance in promotions and less chance of being fired because you can argue your case with the boss. If you are friends with the hobby instructor and your career is related to your hobby, they count as a family friend plus the friend requirements are decreased by one. Practicing hobbies increases skills as well. Instructors, or other sims with full enthusiam for a hobby, give tips while practicing the hobby to speed up learning. When the lifetime aspiration bar is filled you have a permanent good mood. Children can't but those with hobbies are always in a good mood anyway and can practically take care of themselves. Even toddlers have skill building hobbies.

As I said it is the most useful ep and you'll want all sims to maintain a hobby.
Test Subject
#538 Old 14th May 2012 at 9:46 AM
ok I'm sold xD free time it is then! It sounds like it'll be a good additon. Allright, time to start simming, might reply later with my overall observation thus far. although the case for freetime hs been made pretty well ;D
Mad Poster
#539 Old 14th May 2012 at 4:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Raime
ok I'm sold xD free time it is then! It sounds like it'll be a good additon. Allright, time to start simming, might reply later with my overall observation thus far. although the case for freetime hs been made pretty well ;D

Raime! This is the sims 2! Buy them ALL (when you are financially capable, of course)!
Test Subject
#540 Old 16th May 2012 at 2:02 AM
I have to say I am not a fan of OFB or pets.. but I have everything else
Instructor
#541 Old 25th May 2012 at 3:28 PM
I'd have to say that my least favorite EP is Pets. Once one gets through the excitement of every family in the neighborhood having a thousand dogs, pets get kind of annoying. And then I felt bad when they ran away.

My favorite is Seasons - it adds a whole new dimension into the game and makes it much more realistic.
Alchemist
#542 Old 6th Jun 2012 at 5:39 PM
Default What i like/unlike
The best expansion ever is:
Nightlife! I actually almost love Seasons more then Nightlife. But if i only could install one it would be Nightlife. Nightlife has cars, dates, a city, pretty much stuff, new clothes and all that. If i would rate all this i would give Nightlife 8.91 and Seasons 8.909

The worst expansion ever is:
Apartments, it feels like they made a whole expansion just because a building?
I thought this was going to be so fun when i played it. To bad it got boring fast. The clothes and hairstyles that come along is fugly. But the stuff that comes with and being able to be a witch is pretty cool

If i would rank all of them it would be:
1. Nightlife
2. Seasons (soo close runner-up)
3. University
4. Pets
5. OFB
6. Freetime
7. Bon Voyage
8. Apartments

If i have to choose one that has to go, which one?
Apartments, they could just fit that into another expansion, like Freetime or OFB
Test Subject
#543 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 6:14 PM
The Best expansion for me is Nightlife, because it introduced so much to the game that lives on, it even ot into the Deluxe compliations! It made leaving your home enjoyable and memorable!

The worst is well for me I guess I would go for FreeTime, why? Even though it introduces hobbies thats really it, nothing much but the hobby and lifetime aspiration system, I love the game just that its a little below the bar for me.

Here is my list for top expansion packs

1. Nightlife
2. Seasons
3. University
4. Apartment Life
5. Bon Voyage
6. Open for Business
7. Pets
8. FreeTime

Now for the stuff packs
1. H&M Fashion
2. Kitchen & Bath Interior Design
3. Happy Holiday/Festive Holiday
4. Mansion & Garden
5. IKEA Home
6. Family Fun
7. Glamour Life
8. Celebration
9. Teen Style
Test Subject
#544 Old 14th Jun 2012 at 6:06 AM
Hmm...I've got to say I have to disagree with some of you about Free Time. I think its one of my favorites. I use the hobby items a ton in my gameplay; without them would be really different. Seasons is probably still the best, but I'd put FreeTime in the top 3.

My least favorite though is Pets. While cute, they don't really add much to the game for me since I don't use them much. I don't think I've ever created a werewolf, though to be fair, I'm not very much into the mythological creatures in the game. I think I do have a Plant Sim or two running around though. University wasn't great for me either. I always felt that going through all 4 years took forever! Would be more fun if it was a little shorter, but being able to go off to college is pretty cool overall.

Ranking
expansion packs

Seasons
Open For Business
FreeTime
Bon Voyage
Apartment Life
Nightlife
University
Pets

stuff packs- I don't have glamor or celebration, so I can't comment on those

Mansion & Garden
Kitchen & Bath
Teen Style
IKEA Home
H&M Fashion
Family Fun
Happy Holiday

I really liked pretty much all of the stuff packs (except Family Fun and Holiday). I got most of them used or for very cheap, so it was worth it to me.
Test Subject
#545 Old 14th Jun 2012 at 9:28 PM
Pets is pretty low on my list as well. Nothing much but pets so its well decent. Festive Holiday was cheap and had no code but well..barely anything for it
Test Subject
#546 Old 16th Jun 2012 at 9:59 AM
My favorite expansion is Pets. I've been wanting pets in the game since it first came out. I used to make the sims themselves pets...Didn't work too well...

My most hated expansion is University. It gets old fast, and it seems really useless to me. Plus, the annoying popups that come up every time a teen is on the lot. >_<

By Rank:

1. Pets
2. Nightlife
3. Seasons
4. Bon Voyage
5. Open For Business
6. FreeTime
7. Apartments
8. University
#547 Old 2nd Jul 2012 at 4:09 PM
I have all expansions except University Life Collection and Free Time.
My favorite expansions are Apartment Life and Seasons.
My least favorite expansion pack is the Best of Business Collection/Open For Business. I don't hate it, I like it. But I had to pick a least favorite so this was it.
I have all stuff packs except Happy/Festive Holiday, Ikea, and Teen Style Stuff. (Not interested in holiday, but will get the others if I buy the University Life Collection)

Expansion Pack Ranks:
1. Apartment Life- I love it! I can make so many different types of apartments, like trailer parks, city buildings, townhouses, and more! I just got it a couple weeks ago and haven't really cared to check out the witches but they seem fun. I love the new interactions like the toddler huggle and gestures.
2. Seasons- A must have. Seasons keep the game fresh. After getting back from school/work and doing homework and chores my sims sometimes go out to play. I think playing in the snow, jumping in the leaf piles, and other interactions are SOOOO cute! I love gardening and fishing and the new items in this game. My favorite aspiration is family, so I love this pack because they get to interact with eachother more.
3. Bon Voyage- This pack is so fun! Mine go on vacation every so often. I love being able to take pictures and hang them in their house. I like how you get rewards at the end, and I really love beach lots!!! Vacation never gets boring, theres so much to do: Buy jewelry, full momentos, go out to eat, swim at the beach, take pictures, I love it all!
4. Night Life- I never really thought of it as an expansion because it came with my base game. But I like the features a lot. Cars are a must have. Also, I love the Downtown. So many new community lots. I don't like going out on outings. I love dates, it helps getting the sims to fall in love easier and also helps get a lot of aspiration reward points. I don't like vampires. I honestly don't like any of the abnormal creatures except aliens and witches.
5. Pets- I love having pets and breeding them. Other than that, there's not much to it. I like it though. Only get it if you desparetly want pets. I like birds, dogs, cats, and fish. The 1st three have good interactions, fish tanks are nice for decoration, and womrats.... not a fan.
6. Open For Business- I like this pack because of the toy making and florists. The toys are new and help bring income and I think running a business is fun. I'm not a fan of robotery.

My Predictions about other packs:
1. University- It seems really cool and I want it so much! I like it so far by reading others comments and watching the trailer.
2. Free Time- I don't really want it but will probably end up getting it. I think the hobbies are cool, but my sims don't really have FREE TIME! Lol. I like how you can make more objects like the sewing machine. And the genie lamp is cool too. But that doesn't seem like enough to be worth $20.

Stuff Pack Ratings:
1. H&M- Some of the clothing that comes with our packs and the base game is just plain AWFUL! I usually find myself giving my sims clothing from this pack. The clothing is really nice and classy! Love it!!!!
2. Mansion & Garden- Adds a ton of stuff to make your garden beautiful. No joke, but I never use the architecture it comes with. I only use the Empire set. That set is nice.
3. Celebration- I love it! It adds a ton for my parties. I really love the formal wear it comes with too!
4. Glamour- Even though it's #4, I love it! It adds some new, different decor and a nice furniture set. I absolutely some of the dresses too! But some I hate.
5. Kitchen & Bath- I love the new appliances. Also, I like the decor. It really adds stuff to my boring, empty kitchen and bathrooms. I love it!
6. Family Fun- I do like the stuff it comes with but Sims are only young for so little, so I have to change the rooms a lot. I like the stuff, but I'm not a fan of the clothing, like the dragon costume?!!
Top Secret Researcher
#548 Old 2nd Jul 2012 at 5:17 PM
Becky - for me Free Time would be worth it just for Secondary Aspirations. Although the hobby items are very cool (and work well with OFB).
Test Subject
#549 Old 7th Jul 2012 at 5:34 PM
Favourite list:

1.open for buniess.
I like to operate a store>.<"And i can design my own shop as i like.

2.season
I love snow. It is beautiful and my sims can make a snowman^^.

3. Nightlife
Cars are very important!!!So cool!!

4. Apartment life
It is funny to live with negihbourXD....You can have new friends easily.

5.Pets
I love animals@@And I want them in my real life><
Field Researcher
#550 Old 7th Jul 2012 at 9:27 PM
Ok so i have three expansion packs left to get, but can only afford one right now

Bon Voyage, Open for Buisness and Apartment Life.

I'm completely torn between all three! Which adds more to gameplay?

-and in that moment, i was infinate.
Page 22 of 33