Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jun 2013 at 2:07 PM
Default ZDay and Brad Pitt??
Another zombie movie is fast approaching, which can only mean good things, right? But the idea of one starring Brad Pitt makes me take it less seriously for some reason. Are we going to be spending too much time focused on his pretty face rather than, say, brainz eating? Am I worried that too much big budget, spesh effects are going to take something away from the largely gritty, insular feel of most zombie films? Or do I just know that he can't possibly do anything cooler than Oded Fehr smoking a cigarette as the zombies break into the truck cabin, just before it explodes? Am I being mean to Brad? Thoughts?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 4th Jun 2013 at 9:17 PM
For me he is one of those actors where I can't get past the fact, thats him. I hardly remember one of the names of the characters he played, because he is too recognizeable. Ocean's Eleven? Seven? 12 Monkeys? Fight Club? Nope, I have to past. I'm not a fan of him, partly because of his pretty face. Don't like the boyish look. That's also the reason why I don't get into anime. Don't like those bishonen. ^^
But he can act, so.. give him a try.

And the special effects: I don't know, what's more realistic than real fake blood that's splashing everywhere so the actors have to wipe it of their faces avoiding to be blinded and eaten?
Theorist
#3 Old 5th Jun 2013 at 5:23 PM
I like Brad Pitt. He's an outspoken liberal. We're both from the same very right-wing place and ended up with similar views, so I feel like I have that in common with him. I figure social/political views are as good a reason to like/dislike someone as any other.

Resident wet blanket.
Instructor
#4 Old 5th Jun 2013 at 6:45 PM
I don't care if Brad plays in that movie. There are zombies, action, apocalypse; all that I love. I'd watch it even if the main character was played by Lindsay Lohan.

By the way, except for Interview with the Vampire (where I mostly loved Brad's hair, and that was a wig), I've never really understood his appeal. He has a nice body, but his face reminds me of a bloated middle-aged woman with too much facial hair. Frankly, I prefer men, but I still would rather sleep with Angelina than Brad. So no, I won't be distracted by his pretty face because I think he doesn't have one
Theorist
#5 Old 5th Jun 2013 at 8:43 PM
I wouldn't sleep with either of them, but Se7en, Fight Club, Twelve Monkeys, Legends of the Fall, and Meet Joe Black are all classic movies of my twenties. I don't think I'm going to care for ZDay because it looks moronic and special effects driven (which I don't think Pitt actually does very well, anymore than I think he's really an "action star") but I think it's a mistake to ignore his appeal. Even the uneven Mysterious Case of Benjamin Button was fair... I just wish Brad Pitt would get back to doing movies where he's more comfortable - intense, character driven movies where he's supported by other top end actors instead of having to manufacture the whole movie himself. I don't think he's that guy. He's not a lead that stands alone without a lot of support, he needs other actors to draw out the best in his performances.
Retired
retired moderator
#6 Old 5th Jun 2013 at 8:55 PM
The book, World War Z, is brilliant. It will become a classic in the dystopic genre. The film, unfortunately, looks to have nothing to do with the book except perhaps for zombies. It would have made a beautiful pseudo-documentary, instead they've tried to turn it into an action film. You could not have a book less suited to that. Suspense - yes, probably. Political thriller, yeah, I guess, with a lot of reworking. Gung-ho globe-trotting action film? That's a different book altogether.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Jun 2013 at 9:31 AM
I didn't know it was a book! Thanks, will check it out as soon as I've finished 'Death Rejoices,' which is only okay, but not brilliant.
Instructor
#8 Old 15th Jun 2013 at 3:09 PM
I've seen some of his movies, but not all. The ones I've seen I really liked him in his role, he did a fantastic job. Ocean's 11 is one of my favorite movies along with 12 and 13. I remember Meet Joe Black and Interview with a Vampire fondly as well. They stand out to me.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one, but, of course, I have to wait till it comes to PPV.

Generally, I like movies that are different such as sci/fi or fantasy. Movies such as Ocean's 11 draw me in because of the cast (Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Matt Damon) and the storyline and how well it's put together.

Some actors/actresses leave a staple on their work and that is usually, even if it's a badly written movie, they can actually pull it off and make it bearable. Brad Pitt is one of these actors, I feel. George Clooney is another. George was brillant in The Descendents and O Brother, Where art thou?, to name a couple. The latter one was one of those films that I wasn't sure about but when I watched, I really enjoyed. I could still hear a little then and his singing (lip singing) with the Soggy Bottom Boys tickled me to no end. His expression's were priceless and, like Brad, it's not his looks that pull me in, though they are both very handsome, it's their ability to play their role and play it well.

It's the same with some Tom Cruise flicks. He might be different and cause a stir in his personal life, but I don't care. I watch a movie for acting ability and story and he pulls that off well. I thought War of the Worlds was fantastic.

So, I'm looking forward to seeing it and watching him act. The storyline looks interesting so I will definitely have a go at it. Yeah, he's nice to look at, but I don't think that takes anything away from the movie. As long as the storyline is strong.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 27th Jun 2013 at 5:36 AM
Are you saying oh brother where art thou was badly written?? It was brilliant!

I actually think BP and GC are two actors who are only as good as their direction. It would explain why they can do a good job in one movie, but be so dreadfully bad in others. Did you see Troy? What was that??

I'm reading World War Z - I have to say, its not one of the happiest books I've read. After awhile I have to stop reading because I get a bit depressed.