Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Feb 2019 at 8:01 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Cannot create custom dorm despite changing lot type
Hi there,

I have built a custom dorm and have included:

- Myne doors (all facing the right way)
- ShinyTyme cooker
- Counter islands
- Dishwasher
- Trash can

Yet when I input the "changeLotZoning dorm" command, I go back to neighbourhood view and the lot is still not showing as a dorm i.e. 5 rooms available.

I cannot work out where I am going wrong. Any help would be much appreciated!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 18th Feb 2019 at 8:38 PM
You're not doing anything wrong. The description of how many rooms are available in a Maxis dorm is just part of the lot name entered by Maxis. The game won't add that information automatically. Just edit the name of the lot.

You should know for sure whether your dorm is working when you move a playable sim into it. Save your new dorm to the lot bin and try it out in a testing neighborhood first to make sure it functions properly as a dorm (the cook shows up and starts working, dormies claim the Myne doors and move in). If those things don't work properly, that's the time to troubleshoot the dorm lot.
Undead Molten Llama
#3 Old 18th Feb 2019 at 8:55 PM
I think they meant that the lot ISN'T saying "5 rooms available" and is instead saying it's a rental property, which means it's not being recognized as a dorm. At least, that's how I read it. Although IIRC when the lot zoning cheat doesn't work, it'll usually say that an error happened. But maybe it doesn't with dorms. I create them so seldom that I'm not sure... But anyway!

OP, do you ONLY have a Myne door as the only way in/out of each dorm room? They're like apartments in that there can be only one entrance/exit for the space or else things go ca-ca.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 18th Feb 2019 at 9:01 PM
Does it say "Space available?" And is there no price shown? If so, you've successfully made a dorm.
If you can see a price, take some nice big clear floor plan shots, and we'll see if we can spot what you did.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 18th Feb 2019 at 10:30 PM
After doing the change zoning cheat, did you save before going back to hood view?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#6 Old 18th Feb 2019 at 11:44 PM
But I doubt the OP clicked on no when the game asked do you want to save before going back to hood, though.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 19th Feb 2019 at 4:37 PM
Thanks everyone. Yes, sorry if my wording was a little unclear - I meant that it is NOT showing 'x rooms available' in hood view.

I did save before exiting as it prompted me to do so.

I have laid out the rooms as having ensuites in, with another door BUT these ensuites are only accessible from within the room that is solely entered by one Myne door, if that makes sense.

I will try and get a screenshot to post ASAP.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 19th Feb 2019 at 6:57 PM
As I said in my previous post - unlike apartment lots, the game will not automatically show the number of available dorm rooms in neighborhood view. The only reason the Maxis dorms show that information is because Maxis added it to the names of their dorm lots. You aren't doing anything wrong and there's nothing wrong with your game. If you want to see the number of rooms available in a dorm, you'll have to manually add that information to the lot name yourself just like Maxis did.

Empty dorms should always show "Space Available" at the top of their info boxes. Once one or more sims are moved in, that will no longer be displayed and you will instead see the name of the household at the top of the info box (Biggs, "First Year", etc.)

The only real way to confirm that your dorm is working properly is to move a sim into it and playtest it.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 19th Feb 2019 at 8:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
As I said in my previous post - unlike apartment lots, the game will not automatically show the number of available dorm rooms in neighborhood view. The only reason the Maxis dorms show that information is because Maxis added it to the names of their dorm lots. You aren't doing anything wrong and there's nothing wrong with your game. If you want to see the number of rooms available in a dorm, you'll have to manually add that information to the lot name yourself just like Maxis did.

Empty dorms should always show "Space Available" at the top of their info boxes. Once one or more sims are moved in, that will no longer be displayed and you will instead see the name of the household at the top of the info box (Biggs, "First Year", etc.)

The only real way to confirm that your dorm is working properly is to move a sim into it and playtest it.

Ahhh, I understand. I will test it out and move some Sims in but hopefully it should be fine. Thank you
Mad Poster
#10 Old 20th Feb 2019 at 9:23 AM
You're welcome. Good luck with your new dorm.