Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 6:37 PM
Default Getting the came to run faster
I know running a fast game has a lot to do with what kind of comp you run on, but that's not what I want to discuss. There are other ways of helping your game run faster and the more we know, the better!

My ways:
Nraas Overwatch - Every sim night @ 3am all stuck sims & objects will be reset. Every night I have quite a few items reset & I will never again run my game without this mod. It really has helped.

Nraas Master controller - If you click on the City Hall and go to Nrass>Master Controller>Town>Reset Everything it will literally do just that, reset everything. I do this first thing when I open my game, and it speeds up a lot.

Deleting Caches - Most people already know about this, if you don't you can read more about it here http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...ete_Cache_Files I delete these before I open my game, and don't worry, they always regenerate when you open your game.

Deleting everything in your FeaturedItems folder: There is so much junk in here that comes from the online aspect of the game! Even if you don't play it online, you'll find tons of pictures in there that can slow your game a lot. I also delete these every time before I go into game.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 7:04 PM
I did not know that about master controller! I'll have to test it out. I don't have much to add other than these two things that help my game;
I try to not use the launcher for downloads as much as possible. I notice my game runs much slower when I have a bunch of custom content in my launcher. I convert 99.9% of my sims3packs into package files using Sims3Pack Multi Installer.
I also merge my package files using s3pe. (There are tons of tutorials out there for these methods if you don't know how to do this.)
Mad Poster
#4 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 5:10 AM
Sounds like a good list to start, and yes ErrorTrap does do a lot to clean useless leftover shards of data out of one's games in addition to the other things it does. Overwatch actually performs a very thorough cleanup routine at loadup that doesn't get reported on like the 3am run does, unless you have OW's Logging mechanism switched on. I've seen as many as 30,000 lines of text get reported in those startup logs if my prior session lasted more than a sim day or so. That's one reason, in addition to the usual releasing of RAM, that often OW users find that a simple save, quit, and reload of the game just seems to make things work better.
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Overwatch+FAQ (the list on that page is a little outdated now, but should give anyone interested the general idea of what's going on at loadup)

MC > Reset Everything is also great, but I would hate to have to run that on startup every time as it's so intrusive to gameplay. Most of my worlds seem to need a thorough reset every 6-8 sim weeks or so, a couple of the more crowded or just plain strange ones with questionable routing (like Isla Paradiso) maybe a little more often. As slowly as I progress through a game, it takes a very long time before 8 sim weeks go by but of course we all have different play styles.

That blasted Featured Items folder can be locked down to Read Only so it stops filling up with garbage every time you start the game.

Playing offline, if you can stand being without the online aspects of TS3 like "shopping" the EA Store and Simporting, can easily save 300-500 MB of RAM usage. Or at least it has for me on average.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 7:23 PM
Here Are More Suggestions identifying Mods and Tools that help, Cleaning Up Game Files, and Misc. and System Tips that might be useful.
Alchemist
#6 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 8:22 PM
I would not recommend clearing the caches too often (before every game session). TS3 is so slow in rebuilding them that I only get decent, smooth gameplay the second session after deleting the cache files. I would only recommend deleting them if they get big (hundreds of MB) or you alter the contents in some way (a lot of sims die and/or you remove their data, you take out/put in a lot of CC etc.).

Regarding Overwatch, I would recommend manually checking for stuck sims (Overwatch -> Immediate -> Stuck Check) once in a while if you feel the game stutters more than the usual. More often than not it's a sim that's stuck somewhere. Same goes for clearing cars or purging tombstones.

And regarding Master Controller, again I recommend cleaning sims' inventories once in a while by nuking all the diplomas, graduation awards, cars, gems, small animals and insects that they collect and keep in there. Just yesterday I deleted about 800 of those.

Though I have no idea what it does, you can run the savegame files (except one or two) through S3RC. That seems to reduce their size by a few MBs.
Test Subject
#7 Old 27th Aug 2015 at 4:47 PM
The six things I have done to improve my game speed.
1. Use non EA worlds with good routing.
2. If you have pets installed, cut down on the number of pets your inactive can have and also give them a longer life so they do not fill up the graveyard.
3. Cut down on the number of service works generated. 1 babysitter, 1 maid, 1 fireman etc is all you really need.
4. Find the sweet spot on how many Sims you world can handle without slowing it down much and use Master Controller to set you towns max size.
5. Reduce the number of duplicate business so you have less NPC. Do you really need four Bars, Multiple food concession stands in every park etc....
6. Keep your mod package folder under 100 items, combine packages if needed. To many items in this folder will so your load sessions down.
Alchemist
#8 Old 27th Aug 2015 at 6:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by xzone7
3. Cut down on the number of service works generated. 1 babysitter, 1 maid, 1 fireman etc is all you really need.
[...]
5. Reduce the number of duplicate business so you have less NPC. Do you really need four Bars, Multiple food concession stands in every park etc....

To the number of necessary NPCs I would add the postman, and if you don't really care about the newspaper you can stop that too. Repairman isn't needed unless you want your sims to not have the Handiness skill, and my sims' houses never get dirty enough that they'd need a maid (really, 2 dishes + 2 unmade beds aren't a squalor, lol).

Really underrated points. I've given up on using concession stands on festival lots because new NPCs would be generated for every season. So you have at least 2 NPCs per season = 8, plus 2 kissing booth attendants in spring = 10 sims that could slow down your game.
Two bars is the best number IMO for enough variety, with one mixologist NPC for each. You can also create multipurpose lots with home bars and vending machines.
Test Subject
#9 Old 28th Aug 2015 at 5:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sweetdevil
To the number of necessary NPCs I would add the postman, and if you don't really care about the newspaper you can stop that too. Repairman isn't needed unless you want your sims to not have the Handiness skill, and my sims' houses never get dirty enough that they'd need a maid (really, 2 dishes + 2 unmade beds aren't a squalor, lol).

Really underrated points. I've given up on using concession stands on festival lots because new NPCs would be generated for every season. So you have at least 2 NPCs per season = 8, plus 2 kissing booth attendants in spring = 10 sims that could slow down your game.
Two bars is the best number IMO for enough variety, with one mixologist NPC for each. You can also create multipurpose lots with home bars and vending machines.

Good point on festival lots unless you use NRAAS Register. I use existing town elders with the register and fill festival lots, bars, consignment store, and hometown university professors. Bonehilda, Simbot, or Plumbot can also handle cooking, cleaning, babysitting, repairing items, and running the family business for the active household. I have one bar and one coffee shop. The rest of my lots have vending machines.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 28th Aug 2015 at 6:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by xzone7
I have one bar and one coffee shop. The rest of my lots have vending machines.

"Honey, I have a great time on our dates and everything. But how come every time we get together and go out we end up having candy bars and soda for dinner?"

(rolls eyes) "Because the one bar and one coffee shop in town are always too crowded, I couldn't be bothered learning how to cook, and we get bored staying at home ordering pizzas. Wow, you must have been hungry. Want another candy bar?"

(makes mental note to begin searching for new dating material, or at least a sim who knows where the Bistro and buffet tables are placed)
Scholar
#11 Old 28th Aug 2015 at 7:29 PM
@leahsimsx

This is nothing to do with nothing, really. And I apologize for thread-jacking, but

could you please edit this thread's title so that it reads 'game' rather than 'came?'

It's making my teeth hurt; it's making my brain hurt; and it driving me just a little nuts.
Forum Resident
#12 Old 28th Aug 2015 at 9:14 PM
@tsyokawe The mods would have came and fixed it but their came keeps crashing and freezing and is very slow.

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
TS3 vs. Your CPU: The Solution
Shameless plug for my fledgeling Simblr here
Test Subject
#13 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 6:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
"Honey, I have a great time on our dates and everything. But how come every time we get together and go out we end up having candy bars and soda for dinner?")[/I]

ROFL.
Oh dear, you do not want another candy bar. Well how about a nice picnic at the beach instead. Next time we visit the theater, they have great pop corn too. They has seasonal snow cones at the festival grounds. Cotton candy at the roller rink. Or maybe you could just come over for dinner. Bonehilda could serve dinner, if she is in a really great mood her really famous canned soup. If not, we could have some ice cream and a fruit drink out of the mini fridge instead.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 8:12 AM
I've found that using empty custom worlds in place of EA's overcrowded messes can speed the game up and you get far fewer issues with stuck sims if you build the rabbit hole lots yourself instead of using EA's routing nightmares.I've got games in Winfield,Gibsons and Oak Leaf which are all worlds I made with CAW.I have very few issues with those worlds and the issues are minor like using the wrong city hall option in Gibsons and the wrong shopping center in Oak Leaf.I fixed those errors in edit town myself.
I've also got games in Glenvale County,Evermore Falls and Deery Meadows which are also great worlds and they all work better than the EA worlds for legacies.I like the EA worlds for short stories and vacations using NRaas Traveler.