Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jul 2015 at 2:53 PM
Default Sims 3 Leaving work early bug "potential fix"
Hello Everyone.

I realize that the title doesn't offer much hope for anyone who may or may not have had this issue, the reason being that it's a very weird and convoluted bug. I'd also like to add that even though I'm registered as a new user I've actually used this website as far back as sims 2, only recently decided to make an account :D.

Anyways, as far back as 2009 till 2014 I've found people reporting an issue of their sims leaving work early for seemingly no reason, and if you're like me you've searched high and low and found absolutely no fix. This was a bug that started happening to me recently as well and so I've started trying to narrow it down.

Please keep the following in mind: Some people don't experience this, for whatever reason and that obviously doesn't account for those who doesn't report the issue publically. For the few that has reported it there was no mentions of the people using any mods or upgrading or downgrading patches (that I could find anyways).

So what causes this to happen? Well, for starters I never had this issue untill I started using the NRAAS story progression mod, yes I know a lot of people use it who never reported having this issue. However the testing I did seemed to reveal that the two may or may not be connected to each other.

Whenever I used to mod I made sure to always use the same conditions (speed, enabling/disabling certains caste's, standard settings etc.). No matter the career, no matter what I did at the job (meet coworkers, regular day, hard work, slacking). Without any fail on either the 1st or 2nd day, my sim would leave work early. Yes this was 100% consistent, it happened regardless of work, different sims, stressed and not stressed, mood etc.

Now I know it's easy to question my patch update and version of the mod, my game was fully updated using the most recent version of the mod. I even tried downgrading to an older mod which didn't help either, same days, same time nothing different.

I'm sure that someone reading this is wondering: "So you did find a fix?". Well, yes and no. Yes, because what I did could make my sim work for 2 weeks without it happening. No because like I said, it could be coincidental because sometimes it happened and sometimes it didn't.

The only cases where I experienced it didn't happen, was whenever the mod itself was absent. Now how on earth can a mod designed to advance the ingame story possibly cause a bug like that to occur? Well your guess is as good as mine. However here's my guess:

Well I noticed that in the military career, the glitch was like clockwork. Whenever it happened it was 9 am exactly without a fail. I can only guess that the issue is present in the coding that handles career progression, it's either the game itself conflicting with the mod, or the mod that is in conflict with the game, however the ladder would appear to be the case since it happens even on older versions.

I realize that for anyong who uses the mod and has this issue it would be really annoying having to remove the mod. However that to me was the only thing that worked, and since I'm likely not the only one, the issue might be present for others who also happen to use the mod, but then again it could all just be a big coincidence.

I'd like to stress that I'm by no means a programming wiz, so twallen is the only one who can really check for false positives.

If anyone is using this mod and ISN'T experiencing this issue, can you tell me what patch version and mod version you're using?

Kind regards.
Whip
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 18th Jul 2015 at 4:55 PM
First of all, we appreciate the feedback on what SP is doing to your sim. But this isn't the right place for it, except perhaps to share your experiences with other players with/without mods in general. Could I somehow entice you to post at NRaas?
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/page/messages/Chatterbox
or
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/page/me...ession%20Issues (free registration required to post, it's painless, honest)

You won't get a response from Twallan, as I'm afraid he retired well over a year ago. But our current development team will see it and our other advanced mod users and testers may well comment.

Having said all of that, the closest thing I get to an issue like this is not that my sim cheerfully walks out of his job early as if his work day is over, but rather certain schools, uni buildings, and work rabbitholes will routinely blurp out all of their workers onto the sidewalk/lawn of the lot as if they have been soft-reset. All of them at once, not just my actives. As soon as I notice such, I hit MasterController on the ground of the lot or its map tag and send them all back inside with NRaas > MC > Sim > Intermediate > Career > Go to Work/School > (and select all of the sims now hanging about before they get a chance to run away). They do have to queue up again, though they are not actually penalized for being absent as they are "On Their Way to Work/School" again in the process. This only happens to me occasionally now and much less often than before with the current version of ErrorTrap (v100) in place/ Patch 1.67. Have never noticed or seen reported until now a connection with StoryProgression.

Or perhaps what you are talking about is not the same issue as the one I've described above at all. In which case, again, the conversation should really continue at NRaas.

ETA: As an after-thought, just wondering. Does the military lot in question happen to be a combo multi-purpose lot or is it a standalone military installation? The combo lots tend to cause all kinds of grief for players with sims in their associated careers and schools.
Test Subject
#3 Old 21st Jul 2015 at 8:01 PM
I have had this problem when a lot becomes corrupt. Replacing the lot would solve the problem. Schools, Military, and Film Studio have been my biggest problem.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 22nd Jul 2015 at 8:27 AM
I've had sims drop out of work and it happens when the workplace rabbit hole or the lot becomes glitched and replacing the rabbit hole or the entire lot is the only way to fix it.