Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#76 Old 18th Oct 2009 at 3:22 PM
It is possible...on one of the previous pages Lemoncandy posted a pic of a table she had made into glass.

Which table are you using as your clone? Which code are you pasting into the mtlsrc? Which mtlsrc's are you pasting it into?

The recompiler crashes? You mean the ObjTool? Does it give an error message or just close?

OM
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#77 Old 18th Oct 2009 at 3:42 PM
It's gives a error message, if i use this code:

Then i change to this code, and no errors:

But i only get a table with solid color, i can take a screenshot if you want.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#78 Old 18th Oct 2009 at 3:48 PM
Could you post the package of your table? I would like to look at it.

Also, which item did you clone to make this table on? I plan to try making it glass myself to see what happens.

I'm going to gone from my computer for several hours just so that you know I won't be able to post about this right away after receiving information.

OM
Lab Assistant
#79 Old 18th Oct 2009 at 3:54 PM
It's my cubic table.
The link: http://www.mediafire.com/?2xzme0jjmyc
Image: http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/.../MesaCbica2.jpg

It's already released, but i want to make a glass version of it.
Forum Resident
#80 Old 18th Oct 2009 at 5:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lemoncandy
You did not replace the whole content of the mtlrsc file. Copy and paste the whole text from top to bottom.

I think this applies to you now too, Nando
Alchemist
#81 Old 18th Oct 2009 at 5:11 PM
You have a number of errors both files.
Quote:
MTNF 12

means there are 12 items following... the first file has 11 and the second has 21 (but only the first 12 will be compiled).

If the second file was compiling all elements the following would create an error:
Quote:
Diffuse 1 4 0.321782201529 0.321782201529 0.321782201529

The second digit, 4, indicates there should be four values following. You have three, probably an editing error.

All of the people that were successful with this copied the entire file contents from something they cloned with glass and replaced the WHOLE contents of the shader with it. Then, in some cases, they edited the Diffuse line to get the color and transparency needed. While I am happy to help anyone understand how the formatting of the MTLSRC files works, it is complicated. Better off to copy and paste the entire contents. That is the same as just copying the file, but then you would need to make sure the filename is exactly correct.

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Lab Assistant
#82 Old 18th Oct 2009 at 8:26 PM
It worked! There was numbers below the diffuse line =p Thanks Wes =D
Alchemist
#83 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 12:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by WesHowe
Not necessarily. There is but one group, and the material is in block01 (find the file named S3_01D10F34_00000000_588DF7CC407D34A%%+MLOD_block01.mtlsrc).

Okay thanks. I'll give it a go.

Everything sucks, until it doesn't.
Field Researcher
#84 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 4:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
Killc*a, I would guess that the lack of transparency has to do with the settings in the Diffuse line...that .8 alpha start is way different than the .14 that the translucent glass has.

Finally I had the time to try this. It works great, if I change it to .5 or .6. Thanks!

I have to change the texture of the square one (it doesn't look like glass to me).
Alchemist
Original Poster
#85 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 11:42 PM
...glad that worked for you.

OM
Lab Assistant
#86 Old 20th Oct 2009 at 11:04 AM
The link doesn't work!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#87 Old 20th Oct 2009 at 11:37 AM
My server has been having hiccups...I apologize if you tried to download and it wouldn't work. It should be back up now though. If not, use the PDF links provided by Ella which are posted below the first link in my original post. Those will be more reliable until I can get my server situation straightened out.

OM
Lab Assistant
#88 Old 20th Oct 2009 at 11:56 AM
ok thanks
Field Researcher
#89 Old 21st Oct 2009 at 9:14 PM
This is not a glass problem but I found no appropriate thread to post it:

While the texture on the glass objects look fine, the textures on the non-glass objects look very bad.
Glass and non-glass version have the same meshes, texture maps and everything, they just have different .mtlsrc files.

What can I do to make the texture not look so blurred?
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#90 Old 21st Oct 2009 at 10:51 PM
Well I would guess the answer is in the mtlsrc file then, got to check what the differences are.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#91 Old 22nd Oct 2009 at 1:09 AM
About the only thing I can think of is to remap the item so that the part of the map taken up by the pattern is larger. If the map is already taking up the entire IMG you could split and mirror the object and then increase the size of the map by two but you would end up with a mirrored pattern. I've seen a lot of people posting about this kind of issue though...what is up with the Sims 3 objects that makes them not take a texture as sharply as Sims 2 objects did when mapped the same way?

Actually...another thing you could try is using a different object to clone. I don't know which one you used, but I used the Kleenex box to convert a few of my Sims 2 meshes to Sims 3 and they came out pretty sharp. The Kleenex box is mapped to a very small area on a 512 x 512 map so you get the whole map to play with when you clone that item.

OM
Field Researcher
#92 Old 22nd Oct 2009 at 12:09 PM
how to make glass and no glass in the same object?
Alchemist
Original Poster
#93 Old 22nd Oct 2009 at 12:23 PM
Hi Ella, in the interests of there being a single version of this tutorial's text I would prefer to not have the warning about bones like that. I would prefer if you would simply copy what I have in the original tutorial and paste it as text in the beginning of the tutorial as I have. The small paragraph I added is:

Important caveat: You must assign bones to any object that you plan to apply the glass texture to. If you do not assign bones, the object will appear invisible in the game rather than taking on a glass texture.

This should suffice to get the point across without a picture. I appreciate your helping with making the tutorial a PDF file but I would like to keep the PDF file an exact copy of the original with the exception of having the pictures added between the text as you have done.

Hi nazariopilar...to make an object with glass parts and solid parts you have to clone an object with two groups (in addition to the shadow group if the object has a shadow group). Then you can replace the glass part of that object with your glass part and the solid part with your solid part.

OM
In the Arena
retired moderator
#94 Old 22nd Oct 2009 at 12:42 PM Last edited by ellacharm3d : 22nd Oct 2009 at 2:47 PM.
No problem, OM. That's your prerogative as the author.
I shouldn't have edited it like that in the first place, sorry. I thought your document wasn't updated yet. I've redownloaded your .doc and added the same text in the same position now - pdf uploaded
Alchemist
Original Poster
#95 Old 22nd Oct 2009 at 12:48 PM
No need to apologize...I really do appreciate your help

I want to post the new version of the PDF but I can't find your link.

OM
Field Researcher
#96 Old 22nd Oct 2009 at 4:55 PM
sorry, my English is null

make a new chair with some glass and some solid
there are no chairs with two groups
Alchemist
Original Poster
#97 Old 22nd Oct 2009 at 11:56 PM
If there are no chairs with two groups then at this time it is not possible to make a chair with both solid and glass parts as far as I know. I wish I had a better answer for you than that...but right now that's as far along as meshing in Sims 3 is. But it's still early...the game hasn't been out all that long. Perhaps in time someone will figure this situation out.

OM
In the Arena
retired moderator
#98 Old 23rd Oct 2009 at 4:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
I want to post the new version of the PDF but I can't find your link.

OM

OM, edit one of the download links in your 1st post to point to "1018477" (no quotes); you can delete the other
Field Researcher
#99 Old 23rd Oct 2009 at 9:51 AM
Thank you orangemittens, I hope
Alchemist
Original Poster
#100 Old 23rd Oct 2009 at 11:32 AM
Thanks Ella...I updated the first post with the new link. The new single PDF version looks great. I don't really consider myself the "author" per se...more like the scribe who wrote someone else's idea down and illustrated it. While all mistakes that might be in the tutorial are my own, I had nothing to do with figuring out the basic method...that's why I want to keep the beginning portion of the tutorial looking how it does. It just states who figured out how to do this and then dives right into explaining how it's done.

I hope so too nazariopilar...we just have to be patient for now though.

OM
Page 4 of 6