Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
View Poll Results: Pick your weapon of choice!
Blender
24 13.04%
Milkshape
73 39.67%
Wings3d
16 8.70%
3dsmax
35 19.02%
Lightwave
4 2.17%
Maya
16 8.70%
Other (tell me which one)
16 8.70%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Apr 2005 at 10:14 PM Last edited by thefuzmixman : 24th Apr 2005 at 10:26 PM. Reason: noneyo
Default So what do YOU use to model?
Just a question. I myself use Max 6. I'm wondering what other tools you guys use and why.

xD
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 24th Apr 2005 at 10:32 PM
Well I use Milkshape, mostly because it is cheap and I like using Wes's plugins for objects & hair. I have also gotten really used to it.

I have Wings 3D too which is a nice little program, very easy to use.

I also have 1 other great program which was made by my Dad, so none of you have probably heard of it. It's called Paralogix, and I think it sells for around $300 on http://www.a3ds.com. Since I get that for free from him, I wouldn't bother paying for Max for Maya.

~FG
Instructor
#3 Old 24th Apr 2005 at 10:47 PM
I use Max 5 (also have version 4) because I used it back in my Morrowind modding days. I do export to 3DS and convert 3DS to obj via Milkshape.

I do also use Deep UV sometimes to generate a UV Map and I have Deep Paint which lets you see the model in 3D and paint onto it instead of working with the texture in 2D, but I haven't used it much lately.
Mesh Maestro
#4 Old 25th Apr 2005 at 7:52 AM
I use an array of modeling tools but milkshapes trusty object exporting is my favorite... I also use UVmapper Classic another fine little tool... Deep paint I hear is great but I do not have it... I noticed about an object creation tutorial about low poly object creation... I have been working on a website to house a tutorial and some of my work... Maybe I am wrong but this tutorial seems to be exactly what is needed to cover the basics on object creation in the form of low poly/high texture detail object creating...

http://webpages.charter.net/cntrykm...ct_Tutorial.htm

As I mentioned the site is not finished but the tutorial page the link leads to is. The tutorial has already been beta tested(tutorial) and it is sound... If anyone wants to take a look and/or has recommendations feel free to comment...
Scholar
#5 Old 25th Apr 2005 at 8:04 AM
where do i find Max 6? thnx
Test Subject
#6 Old 25th Apr 2005 at 8:18 AM
I use Maya 6 and Z brush for the modelling and photoshop for the texture maps. Im still trying to work out how to get the low poly models into the game!
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 25th Apr 2005 at 8:19 AM
Hi JWood Great looking tutorial, but none of the pics are showing up do I need a special java plugin or something to view them!?
Thanks for taking the time to write that!!
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 25th Apr 2005 at 7:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dynter236
I use Maya 6 and Z brush for the modelling and photoshop for the texture maps. Im still trying to work out how to get the low poly models into the game!

Zbrush looks amazing. I watched a tutorial video and i was almost baffled at how intuitive the tools were. This guy made one of those deep sea fish with the freakishly huge teeth and little anntenae ball. I would like to see some stuff you've made with it. pm me

xD
Instructor
#9 Old 25th Apr 2005 at 7:40 PM
A modder friend of mine who also works at Sony making playstation games raves about Zbrush. I think the game or rendering engine needs to support it though doesn't it? Like you couldn't just make something with for TS2 or any old game if I understand correctly.

Jwoods: Thanks for the tutorial! We sure need as many low poly object creation tutorials as we can get in this community. I'm sure y'all know by now how I feel about those high polygon counts LOL!
Mesh Maestro
#10 Old 25th Apr 2005 at 7:47 PM
Yes it does require Java... Sorry thought everyone had that.. LOL It does take a bit of time to load... Also if you have questions after going through and reading the entire tutorial you can message me until I set something up where questions can be asked... The tutorial may seem large... It is mainly due to all the images... I did my best to make it as easy as I could by using a large amount of screenshots.... It is as stated geared toward the serious begginer who really wants to model but doesn't know where to start.... It is using simple tools and shapes so all you pro's no laughing.... LOL
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 25th Apr 2005 at 8:13 PM
Motoki:
As long as Zbrush can spit out an obj, i think it should be usable in the sims 2 game. I can't help but think it not be very ideal though, since it looks to be used for very realistic organic modeling.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 25th Apr 2005 at 8:30 PM
I use Maya 6 Pro for modeling, Photoshop and Deep Paint for texturing mainly.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 25th Apr 2005 at 9:42 PM Last edited by ladydrb58 : 25th Apr 2005 at 9:48 PM. Reason: The subject
Default Very easy to follow
Milkshape, 3Ds Max7, which I am leaning. Find both user friendly. So, for a biginner like myself, I need "lots" of pictures, and the great tutorials that they offer with the program.
JWood,
This tutorial will give all of us "beginners" a heads up on creating objects for the game. I find it very easy to follow, reading it that is, have not actually had the time yet to test it out. But, color, fonts, display, etc. is easy on the eyes. Thank you for sharing, and educating us as well.
Quote: Originally posted by JWoods
I use an array of modeling tools but milkshapes trusty object exporting is my favorite... I also use UVmapper Classic another fine little tool... Deep paint I hear is great but I do not have it... I noticed about an object creation tutorial about low poly object creation... I have been working on a website to house a tutorial and some of my work... Maybe I am wrong but this tutorial seems to be exactly what is needed to cover the basics on object creation in the form of low poly/high texture detail object creating...

http://webpages.charter.net/cntrykm...ct_Tutorial.htm

As I mentioned the site is not finished but the tutorial page the link leads to is. The tutorial has already been beta tested(tutorial) and it is sound... If anyone wants to take a look and/or has recommendations feel free to comment...
Test Subject
#14 Old 25th Apr 2005 at 9:45 PM
I use Maya 6 to model.
Test Subject
#15 Old 26th Apr 2005 at 1:40 AM
I use 3dsmax7 to model, but I also do some more highpoly/professional stuffs, so I actually own a license

I love 3dsmax, it has a great workflow
Instructor
Original Poster
#16 Old 26th Apr 2005 at 3:02 AM
it really does psistorm. i am practically a max poster boy
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#17 Old 26th Apr 2005 at 7:18 AM
Well I actually use Wings and Blender interchangable, depending on what task I'm doing. UV mapping or basic form creation? Wings. Other stuff I use Blender...
Scholar
#18 Old 27th Apr 2005 at 3:15 AM
I use MilkShape, and when doing objects I also use LithUnwrap for remapping.
Wes H's plugins make it far and away the best, for doing body and hair meshes. It's not free, but at $25 very low-priced compared to other 3d programs.

I looked at the free ones, but none support .smd format, so they wouldn't be good for doing body and hair, nor animated objects.

I did try Blender anyway, but found it totally confusing.

The high-end commercial programs like 3dmax and Maya are simply out of the question, price wise.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 27th Apr 2005 at 12:34 PM
To me it looks like ony the 24-Bit pics are showing
all 8-Bit pics are black, even after reloading/refreshing
in PSP they show up as pics with color count 1....black
try to empty your chache...perhaps you see what I mean
-le
Instructor
Original Poster
#20 Old 27th Apr 2005 at 8:24 PM
i refuse to understand what you are talking about leticron.
Test Subject
#21 Old 28th Apr 2005 at 1:07 AM
I use autocad 2005 myself. The only reason i could think of is that i took a class on it so i know my way around, i can make stuff i like. i use 3ds max 6 sometimes, just to mess around. i make not so good stuff with that :P
Mesh Maestro
#22 Old 28th Apr 2005 at 1:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by thefuzmixman
i refuse to understand what you are talking about leticron.

He was refering to the tutorial I worte, seems some browsers are not handling the 8 bit pictures... It is recommended to use I.E. explorer...

Reading is the key to all knowledge, math is the key to everything.
Instructor
Original Poster
#23 Old 28th Apr 2005 at 2:06 AM
lol. ah i see. it usually is btw
Inventor
#24 Old 15th May 2005 at 12:32 AM
i use milkshape, but i also have have lithunwrap, maya ple, and wings3D. i want to use wings badly, but i'm beter at using milkshape. i haven't submited any of my stuff yet, only because i cant texture well

p.s. there's a free version of maya, the ple edition
Instructor
#25 Old 15th May 2005 at 9:01 PM
my milkshape just ran out and in need a decent free program... any suggestions? xxx
Page 1 of 3