Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Dec 2008 at 11:23 PM
Default Cups, plates, and Thirst as a new motive?
I was just thinking, sims should have to buy plates in the next game, and there could be different plate designs, then I thought they could buy cups aswell...
so why is drinking only optional in the sims, shouldn't there be a thirst motive?

Think it would be a good idea?
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 2nd Dec 2008 at 3:33 AM
I guess there really should be a thirst motive. I've never really thought about that, actually. Maybe Sims don't get thirsty.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 2nd Dec 2008 at 5:37 AM
Actually, for a long time I always thought that the hunger motive should be divided into "thirst" and "hunger;" bladder motive divided into "#1" and "#2;" and hygiene motive divided into "oral" and "body."

And I think they should have scrapped the social motive. They already scrapped both environment and comfort because they are just not needed because we now have traits and traits won't care about such things. But a social motive is not necessary because for example, a loner and shy Sim won't really need a social motive, which is why social should be scrapped.

That way, we'll just have 5. It'll be easier, too, and less demanding.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 9:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frankie
And I think they should have scrapped the social motive. They already scrapped both environment and comfort because they are just not needed because we now have traits and traits won't care about such things. But a social motive is not necessary because for example, a loner and shy Sim won't really need a social motive, which is why social should be scrapped.

That way, we'll just have 5. It'll be easier, too, and less demanding.

A seperate thirst motive bar isn't needed because that is apart of the hunger motive. I'm assuming that the social motive for a shy or loner sim would not decay nearly as much as for a conversationalist.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 4th Dec 2008 at 5:35 AM
Yeah, that's the only thing I can think of. That is nice that each trait has its own perks. I like that.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 6th Dec 2008 at 3:49 AM
Well in RL, all food has a little some water added into it, so it makes sense for Hunger to quene thirst also, I believe a serperate bar wouldn't make sense.

Its similar to relieving your Bladder, theres 2 ways to go isn't there?
Should there be 2 serperate bars for that also?
Mad Poster
#7 Old 6th Dec 2008 at 5:34 AM
There wouldn't regardless. No need to. I'm just a very specific person.

Then again, the fact that the needs are less work is great, so why add more?
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 16th Dec 2008 at 11:59 AM
I'd really like to have a thirst motive. When Sims work out they get hungry after some time, which doesn't really make sense. (At least I'm never hungry after working out). But it would be only natural for them to get thirsty.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 16th Dec 2008 at 1:06 PM
Forget it, surprised if they even have a hunger motive at all due to the Sims3 unique gameplay. isn't it hard enough trying to keep all 6 of Sims2 motives ALWAYS green as it it, your all asking for the IMPOSSIBLE!
Instructor
#10 Old 16th Dec 2008 at 1:21 PM
I don't think there is a hunger motive is there? Your Sim just gets a moodlet saying he/she is hungry.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 16th Dec 2008 at 5:57 PM
There is a hunger motive, along with 5 others (6 total). They are the same as in Sims 2 except that comfort and environment have been removed.
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 16th Dec 2008 at 6:14 PM
I didn't think there were motives. I though the got rid of them and just added moodlets to say when sim is hunger/needs toilet/other stuff?

Previously known as 'simcharley1990'
Mad Poster
#13 Old 16th Dec 2008 at 6:15 PM
No. There are just six of them now, six of the original eight from Sims 1 and Sims 2. Originally months ago the motives in Sims 3 were only three with one of them being called a "fun versus stress" motive. That got dropped. Then later on they had four: hunger, energy, fun and bladder. Now they have six: hunger, energy, fun, bladder, hygiene and social.

Environment is really not necessary because we now have personality traits that can determine that. Comfort is not needed either but not sure the reason for that. Maybe because comfort is not only physical but mental and emotional? Therefore not needed because of the traits.

EDIT: The moodlets have nothing to do with motives. Motives are just the regular needs. Moodlets have to do with mood, as in how they are feeling mentally, emotionally and physically depending on what they do and where they go.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 16th Dec 2008 at 6:34 PM
Oh, I must of read wrong. Sorry, Frankie.

Previously known as 'simcharley1990'
Mad Poster
#15 Old 16th Dec 2008 at 6:43 PM
It's okay. It was confusing for some people. They kept on making so many changes.