Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
View Poll Results: Live mode in the sims games is pronounced...
Live, like alive
2032 66.21%
Live, rhymes with give
740 24.11%
I don't know/don't care/I like to click buttons.
297 9.68%
Voters: 3069. You may not vote on this poll

world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 10:10 AM
Default An important poll: your opinion needed!
A great debate has begun raging around the sims community, and it is of the utmost importance that you weigh in and let your voice be heard on this divisive issue!

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 11:31 AM
I always thought it was like the second option, like Give
Scholar
#3 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 11:52 AM
Live. Like alive. Yeah.

C-A
Mad Poster
#4 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 11:58 AM
I has to be as in rhyming with "give".
My reasoning for this is that "build" and "buy" are both "doing" words; they allow you to build and buy respectively.
Therefore, Live mode allows you to live.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#5 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 12:41 PM
Will we be able to take the results to Graham to convince him he has it wrong?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 12:48 PM
I say it as live rhymes with alive. Maybe it also has something to do with what country you're from?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
One Minute Ninja'd
#7 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 12:50 PM
Live like alive. I tried to say it out loud repeatedly the other way just to try it out, and there's no way it sounds correct to my ears. Maybe because it's too reminiscent of "Live Strong", which is where that pronunciation makes sense, but now generates bad memories about Lance.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 12:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Will we be able to take the results to Graham to convince him he has it wrong?

Of course. We must storm the EA hedge maze with our damning results! Assuming those results are actually damning...

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Scholar
#9 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 12:53 PM
"Oh yeah, my favourite mode is 'Liv' mode." - People whom I will be pardoned for murdering.

It doesn't make sense to say and you are a terrible person if you pronounce it like that. Literally the worst.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 1:03 PM
I think that two EA employees would know the definitive pronunciation. But if someone can't accept that, they're free to pronounce it any way they want inside their own minds. (for voting purposes: 'live' as in 'alive'.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 1:10 PM
Omg, I better get a dog and a police patrol around my house then as I say it exactly like it is written, like L-I-V-E. (hopefully they'll send hot coppers)

And if I were to forced to say it in English, it would rhyme with give.
Alchemist
#12 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 1:27 PM
Sim Lyves depend on the correctness of this most important subject. Their little lives are lived in lyve mode.
C'mon, they live, lyve, not half alive.
Since they are so lively, they can't be livly. Except at the end of that last video.
ONLY LIVER & onions would be the correct way to use that short "i".
Test Subject
#13 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 1:44 PM
I call it Live Mode (with the long i sound), but I understand the argument of saying it with the short i sound, as it is an action. Live is just easier to say for me.
just a girl
#14 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 1:52 PM
Uh. I've never thought about this before and now that I encountered this huge dilemma I can't stop thinking! How am I gonna sleep now? I don't know the answer, but I picked "Live, like alive", because, I guess, I think, someone told me...
Instructor
#15 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 1:55 PM
Dunno if it's correct, but I usually think to myself (as I don't talk about the Sims to my friends) /'laɪv, so as in alive, not /'lɪv, as in "Livin' Large."
Scholar
#16 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 2:03 PM
I say "Live Mode" as in living or to live (rhyming with give)... When I think of "Live Mode" (alive) I think of "Live Television". There's no other time I hear live with the long 'i'. So....

*ducks tomatoes*

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 2:19 PM Last edited by Klinn2 : 20th Jul 2014 at 3:06 PM.
I couldn't live with myself if I pronounced it that way.

(Edit: That was supposed to be a joke )
Mad Poster
#18 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 2:44 PM
Oh...live, like alive. I didn't realize that the issue was that to some it is pronounced like give. Never even crossed my mind that it could be pronounced that way. (Does not compute.) I used to call it alive, but now I just call it live.

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Theorist
#19 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 3:06 PM
When the game is paused, obviously nothing is moving or going on.

When the game goes live ( with a long i) sims continue with whatever they were doing.

This is how I've always thought of it.
Test Subject
#20 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 3:27 PM Last edited by LordXenophon : 20th Jul 2014 at 3:44 PM.
it's "live' as opposed to "build," not "live" as opposed to "pre-recorded." Both are verbs. Change them to gerunds and you have what the two modes are for - living and building.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 3:34 PM
Live as said in "alive" -as opposed to dead, said as 'ded'.

Much like this new game...oops.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 3:53 PM
Well... I'm from the South (via Seattle) so I pronounciate all sorts of words wrong: like "O"-range, Kaw-fee, and Weee-Feee...
But, Live Mode for my simmies is always pronounced "live"

Ya'll are just too funny

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Spice Pony
#23 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 4:12 PM
…Annnnd yet another reason MTS is the greatest fansite ever.
Theorist
#24 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 4:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatherineTCJD
Weee-Feee...

What is a Weee-feee?

I live in MA, so words like 'wicked' do not always in imply that something is evil. On the contrary, usually 'wicked' means something good.

I digress.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 4:44 PM
Live as in alive. Because you go from build/buy mode to going live.
Page 1 of 9