Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 12:02 AM Last edited by thecakebear125 : 6th Aug 2016 at 6:03 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Late Night, Generations
Default Grass loading weirdly (fixed)+some other minor issues
Ok so basically I was having issues with the mac version of sims so i re-downloaded onto a laptop I have but for whatever reason the grass or any of the other terrain isnt loading and kinda looks like it does before it loads on some places where i guess the grass has been recoloured its fine. I'm using the base game world and it could just be my graphic settings so ive attached them and the laptop details (ive grown up with macs so i have no idea about anything windows related sorry).

Another issue that ive shown in the screen shot of the grass is that some of the store content isnt showing as store content (im assuming redownloading should fix that though and its probably my fault for being lazy and trying to just transfer all the custom content from the mac). Then theres an issue with the bunk bed that whenever i restart the game it creates two unselectable copys both worth 0 simoleons.

(there was also another issue where the top half of the ingredient evicator loaded greyed out like it should load in but i replaced it and it works fine)
Screenshots
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 12:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I noticed your texture setting is medium.
i tried setting it to high and the grass still looked exactly the same oh and advanced rendering wasn't turned on on my mac so im assuming it wouldn't make a difference
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 2:15 AM
Why don't you try it anyways?
sorry for taking a long time to respond i made the mistake of getting distracted, turns out i was completely mistaken and it was the problem. thank you very much for your help and i apologize for my ignorance.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#6 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 10:47 AM
As to the issue with the Store content, one cause may be the way you transferred it from Mac to PC. When transferring files from a Mac to a PC one should never copy whole folders but only individual files. MacOS folders contain hidden files with information on the MacOS specific folder structure. If you know how to show hidden or system files in Windows you will notice that some end in *.ds but others will end in *.package or *.ebc or *.dbc. The latter three are file extensions specific to The Sims and so the game will try to read them although they don't contain anything the game can read.

What you can try to do is to create new folders on your PC and name them like the old ones. Take out your custom content from the old (Mac) folders and place them in the new (PC) ones.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 5:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Don Babilon
As to the issue with the Store content, one cause may be the way you transferred it from Mac to PC. When transferring files from a Mac to a PC one should never copy whole folders but only individual files. MacOS folders contain hidden files with information on the MacOS specific folder structure. If you know how to show hidden or system files in Windows you will notice that some end in *.ds but others will end in *.package or *.ebc or *.dbc. The latter three are file extensions specific to The Sims and so the game will try to read them although they don't contain anything the game can read.

What you can try to do is to create new folders on your PC and name them like the old ones. Take out your custom content from the old (Mac) folders and place them in the new (PC) ones.
I don't really understand what you meant so heres what i did to move all the custom content, i compressed the file on the mac then emailed it and then opened all the files about 10 at a time and installed them. I have no clue about the hidden files thingy, also all the custom content in the downloads folder is showing as the sims 3 custom content. In all honesty I'd imagine that because I didnt bother re downloading them its something to stop people sharing their store items
Instructor
#8 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 6:00 PM
A 6th gen i5 laptop only run TS3 at 800x600 screen resolution, are you sure that your laptop is only supports 800x600 screen resolution?? I think there's something missing in your graphic setting, maybe if you can post your DeviceConfig here, it would be easier to tell what's been missing..
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 6:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PapaEmy
A 6th gen i5 laptop only run TS3 at 800x600 screen resolution, are you sure that your laptop is only supports 800x600 screen resolution?? I think there's something missing in your graphic setting, maybe if you can post your DeviceConfig here, it would be easier to tell what's been missing..
dont worry the grass thing has been fixed and its just the store content problem now, thanks anyway though
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 6:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by thecakebear125
dont worry the grass thing has been fixed and its just the store content problem now, thanks anyway though
actually this is vaguely unrelated but would you be able to tell me if this laptop is even good enough for sims 3?
Instructor
#11 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 6:31 PM
actually this is vaguely unrelated but would you be able to tell me if this laptop is even good enough for sims 3?

yes of course, it's the newest Intel Core 6th generation series, that's why I asked you to post your DeviceConfig from your TS3 documents folder to see how TS3 recognizes all devices you have in your laptop..
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 6:48 PM
yes of course, it's the newest Intel Core 6th generation series, that's why I asked you to post your DeviceConfig from your TS3 documents folder to see how TS3 recognizes all devices you have in your laptop..
ok so ive tried copying and pasting the stuff that wasn't the options into a text file because it didn't like the original file, I dont know if its worked though
Attached files:
File Type: txt  DeviceConfig.txt (1.2 KB, 11 downloads)
Instructor
#13 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 7:37 PM
Hi Emily.., you have the same name with my daughter..

Ok, from your DeviceConfig, you only have Intel HD 520 graphic as your only gpu, so I assumed your laptop don't have dedicated gpu or dual switchable gpus laptop, TS3 doesn't recognized your Intel HD 520 because it's the newest line up..

So what you need to do, to how TS3 would recognized it, you'll need to edit your GraphicCard.sgr file, located in TS3 BG installation files, usually is in C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\ElectronicArts\TheSims3\Game\Bin directory, open it with Notepad so you can edit it, you need to put your device ID which is "1916", to somewhere replacing the existing one, the problem is I don't know which one in the Intel HD's section that matched or comparable to your HD 520 to replace with, the newest on the list were Ivy Bridge or Atom line up, I don't know if any of those line up would suitable for your HD 520..

You can try with;

1. card 0x0166 "Mobile IvyBridge GT2" or
2. card 0x8109 "Intel(R) GMA 500 (Poulsbo) on MID platforms"

but I can't guarantee it would be suitable for your HD 520, but for sure it's lower grade than yours, so basically to make your HD 520 recognized by TS3 is downgrading its class or rank..

If you want to try it, replace the 0x0166 or 0x8109 --> 0x1916, then close to save it, remove your DeviceConfig and Option.ini to somewhere else temporary and then launch TS3, TS3 will regenerate new DeviceConfig and Option.ini after you launched it, at the TS3 main menu, try to set your graphic setting to 1366x768 screen resolution with 60hz refresh rate, you can leave the other as its suggest it, and then exit don't start to play it just yet, then go check your new DeviceConfig, check if there's 32MB override, if not then you're good to go, but if you got that as well, then you also need to edit your GraphicRules.sgr as well, but let's try this 1st step 1st to check if any of the Intel HD in the list can run your HD 520 as one of them..
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 7:55 PM
Hi Emily.., you have the same name with my daughter..

Ok, from your DeviceConfig, you only have Intel HD 520 graphic as your only gpu, so I assumed your laptop don't have dedicated gpu or dual switchable gpus laptop, TS3 doesn't recognized your Intel HD 520 because it's the newest line up..

So what you need to do, to how TS3 would recognized it, you'll need to edit your GraphicCard.sgr file, located in TS3 BG installation files, usually is in C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\ElectronicArts\TheSims3\Game\Bin directory, open it with Notepad so you can edit it, you need to put your device ID which is "1916", to somewhere replacing the existing one, the problem is I don't know which one in the Intel HD's section that matched or comparable to your HD 520 to replace with, the newest on the list were Ivy Bridge or Atom line up, I don't know if any of those line up would suitable for your HD 520..

You can try with;

1. card 0x0166 "Mobile IvyBridge GT2" or
2. card 0x8109 "Intel(R) GMA 500 (Poulsbo) on MID platforms"

but I can't guarantee it would be suitable for your HD 520, but for sure it's lower grade than yours, so basically to make your HD 520 recognized by TS3 is downgrading its class or rank..

If you want to try it, replace the 0x0166 or 0x8109 --> 0x1916, then close to save it, remove your DeviceConfig and Option.ini to somewhere else temporary and then launch TS3, TS3 will regenerate new DeviceConfig and Option.ini after you launched it, at the TS3 main menu, try to set your graphic setting to 1366x768 screen resolution with 60hz refresh rate, you can leave the other as its suggest it, and then exit don't start to play it just yet, then go check your new DeviceConfig, check if there's 32MB override, if not then you're good to go, but if you got that as well, then you also need to edit your GraphicRules.sgr as well, but let's try this 1st step 1st to check if any of the Intel HD in the list can run your HD 520 as one of them..
I think ive managed to find the folder it was here C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3\Game\ Ive opened the folder there called graphicscards but what comes up is a very long list of what i assume are graphic cards, so do i need to try and replace the one of the things you mentioned with 0x1916?
Instructor
#15 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 8:04 PM
Ive think ive managed to find the folder it was here C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3\Game\ Ive opened the folder there called graphicscards but what comes up is a very long list of what i assume are graphic cards, so do i need to try and replace the one of the things you mentioned with 0x1916?

yes it's very long list of gpus, 1st is the ATi gpus, 2nd is the Nvidia gpus and the last one is the Intel HD gpus, so you need to scroll down your mouse to the 3rd group which is for Intel, replace the Ivy Bridge one I mentioned because that's the latest one in the list..

IMPORTANT: before you replace it, copy and back up your GraphicCard.sgr and GraphicRules.sgr to somewhere else, if anything goes wrong, you can just copy and paste them back to its original state..

Edited: oh wait, your TS3 is 1.69 version, is there Haswell in the Intel HD section? Or Intel HD 4600? Cause that would be the newer one compares to Ivy Bridge, I don't have that because my TS3 is 1.67 version, if yours have the Intel HD 4600, replace the HD 4600 with your ID instead of the Ivy Bridge..
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 8:15 PM Last edited by thecakebear125 : 6th Aug 2016 at 8:26 PM.
yes it's very long list of gpus, 1st is the ATi gpus, 2nd is the Nvidia gpus and the last one is the Intel HD gpus, so you need to scroll down your mouse to the 3rd group which is for Intel, replace the Ivy Bridge one I mentioned because that's the latest one in the list..

IMPORTANT: before you replace it, copy and back up your GraphicCard.sgr and GraphicRules.sgr to somewhere else, if anything goes wrong, you can just copy and paste them back to its original state..

Edited: oh wait, your TS3 is 1.69 version, is there Haswell in the Intel HD section? Or Intel HD 4600? Cause that would be the newer one compares to Ivy Bridge, I don't have that because my TS3 is 1.67 version, if yours have the Intel HD 4600, replace the HD 4600 with your ID instead of the Ivy Bridge..
whoops I replaced the Ivy bridge (also before backing up) I did the stuff you said and theres was the weird surprise of lots of options and then it actually fitted the screen. Theres a 32MG override in the texture memory, also there a weird thing where every so often the screen goes black for a couple of seconds in the game its been happening since I downloaded generations last night.
Also theres no Intel HD 4600 or Haswell as far as i can tell
Instructor
#17 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 8:34 PM
whoops I replaced the Ivy bridge (also before backing up) I did the stuff you said and theres was the weird surprise of lots of options and then it actually fitted the screen. Theres a 32MG override in the texture memory, also there a weird thing where every so often the screen goes black for a couple of seconds in the game its been happening since I downloaded generations last night

Don't worry you can replace it back, just open the GraphicCards.sgr back and press Ctrl+F and search for card 0x1916 "Mobile IvyBridge GT2", replace it with card 0x0166 "Mobile IvyBridge GT2", the original ID is 0166..

If the screen keep blinking black, that means it probably doesn't suit your HD 520 or you don't have proper driver for your Windows 10 to recognized your HD 520, as for lots of option came up and fitted the screen, means it can run your HD 520 with Ivy Bridge's specification.., the problem is the HD 520 is the newest Intel HD line up and I don't know which one is comparable to it with the older generations before it..

To make sure you have your Windows 10 recognized your HD 520, can you go check it in the Device manager and tell me if it stated as "Intel HD 520 Graphic"? Here's how to; right click on your Win 10 start menu, click Device Manager to open it, look for Display Adapters and click to open it, check if it states as "Intel HD 520 Graphic", if it's stated as "Intel HD" only or other than the "Intel HD 520 Graphic", that means you haven't install the proper driver of your HD 520 compatible for Win 10, if this is the case.. then this need to be fix 1st before you fix the 32 MB override..
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 8:49 PM
Don't worry you can replace it back, just open the GraphicCards.sgr back and press Ctrl+F and search for card 0x1916 "Mobile IvyBridge GT2", replace it with card 0x0166 "Mobile IvyBridge GT2", the original ID is 0166..

If the screen keep blinking black, that means it probably doesn't suit your HD 520 or you don't have proper driver for your Windows 10 to recognized your HD 520, as for lots of option came up and fitted the screen, means it can run your HD 520 with Ivy Bridge's specification.., the problem is the HD 520 is the newest Intel HD line up and I don't know which one is comparable to it with the older generations before it..

To make sure you have your Windows 10 recognized your HD 520, can you go check it in the Device manager and tell me if it stated as "Intel HD 520 Graphic"? Here's how to; right click on your Win 10 start menu, click Device Manager to open it, look for Display Adapters and click to open it, check if i t states as "Intel HD 520 Graphic", if it's stated as "Intel HD" only or other than the "Intel HD 520 Graphic", that means you haven't install the proper driver of your HD 520 compatible for Win 10, if this is the case.. then this need to be fix 1st before you fix the 32 MB override..
Its called "Intel(R) HD Graphics 520" also the screen going black started before i messed with the Graphiccads.sgr but i was hoping that changing it would fix it (the problem started after I downloaded generations so I guessed that the computers specs weren't high enough for the ep)
Instructor
#19 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 9:03 PM
Its called "Intel(R) HD Graphics 520" also the screen going black started before i messed with the Graphiccads.sgr but i was hoping that changing it would fix it (the problem started after I downloaded generations so I guessed that the computers specs weren't high enough for the ep)

No it's not your gpu spec weren't high enough, your Win 10 recognized your HD 520 so TS3 will follow what it's registered in Win 10 registry, the problem is now, which one from the Intel HD's group in the list suits your HD 520 well, if it's too high, it may run your HD 520 beyond its limit.. even with FPS limiter installed, btw.. you need to install FPS Limiter to play TS3 to protect your gpu..

Ok then, let me do some checking with this new HD 520 1st, I'll be back if I managed to figure out which one will fit your HD 520..
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 9:08 PM Last edited by thecakebear125 : 6th Aug 2016 at 9:36 PM.
No it's not your gpu spec weren't high enough, your Win 10 recognized your HD 520 so TS3 will follow what it's registered in Win 10 registry, the problem is now, which one from the Intel HD's group in the list suits your HD 520 well, if it's too high, it may run your HD 520 beyond its limit.. even with FPS limiter installed, btw.. you need to install FPS Limiter to play TS3 to protect your gpu..

Ok then, let me do some checking with this new HD 520 1st, I'll be back if I managed to figure out which one will fit your HD 520..
ok i think ive installed an fps limiter. thanks for suggesting it hopefully ive done it right
Instructor
#22 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 9:49 PM Last edited by PapaEmy : 6th Aug 2016 at 10:02 PM.
Ok this is the best so far I can come up with; in terms of processor and its gpu:

Your HD 520 is even good enough for TS4, http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-...0.149940.0.html and it actually comparable in the range of Nvidia GForce GT 640M LE and/or GForce 820M, so no there's nothing wrong with your gpu's spec to run TS3..

And now for TS3's case, from GraphicCards.sgr, we know TS3 can be run with Intel GMA X3100, and based on what they said here https://www.quora.com/Intel-GMA-X31...uires-GMA-X3100, they both about the same class just different generation..

So to be safe and to make it work for TS3, I think the one from the previous Intel gpus generation that would fit your HD 520 would be one of the following;

card 0x2A02 "Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 Crestline"
card 0x2A03 "Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 Crestline"
card 0x2A12 "Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 Crestline"
card 0x2A13 "Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 Crestline"

So.. you can try to replace one of their device IDs with your HD 520's device ID (1916).. any of the four should work, their difference usually from the minimum to the highest set up between them, hopefully this would solved your case..

And for your question, as for FPS Limiter, I think you can found one here at MTS if I'm not wrong, it's FPS Limiter 0.2 if I remember it correctly, or you can use the one from MATY with 3Booter at http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...ic,15585.0.html

Edited; if it's working as it should, don't forget to check the 32MB override from your DeviceConfig, if it's still there, that also needs to be fix
Instructor
#23 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 9:56 PM
I'm not sure which side are you talking about? The Windows side or TS3 side? I think the OP does need some sort of driver update on the Windows side b/c this is the 1st time I've seen the texture memory error on a integrated GPU.

I was talking from the TS3 side, my laptop for example.. GForce 610M --> GForce 310M in the GraphicCards.sgr list, well you could be right about the driver, but the OP said it was recognized within the Win 10 Device Manager, but just in case the OP needs the updated Win 10 drivers, she can download it here : https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...-?product=88355
Test Subject
Original Poster
#24 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 10:01 PM
Ok this is the best so far I can come up with; in terms of processor and its gpu:

Your HD 520 is even good enough for TS4, http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-...0.149940.0.html and it actually comparable in the range of Nvidia GForce GT 640M LE and/or GForce 820M, so no there's nothing wrong with your gpu's spec to run TS3..

And now for TS3's case, from GraphicCards.sgr, we know TS3 can be run with Intel GMA X3100, and based on what they said here https://www.quora.com/Intel-GMA-X31...uires-GMA-X3100, they both about the same class just different generation..

So to be safe and to make it work for TS3, I think the one from the previous Intel gpus generation that would fit your HD 520 would be one of the following;

card 0x2A02 "Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 Crestline"
card 0x2A03 "Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 Crestline"
card 0x2A12 "Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 Crestline"
card 0x2A13 "Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 Crestline"

So.. you can try to replace one of their device IDs with your HD 520's device ID (1916).. any of the four should work, their difference usually from the minimum to the highest set up between them, hopefully this would solved your case..

And for your question, as for FPS Limiter, I think you can found one here at MTS if I'm not wrong, it's FPS Limiter 0.2 if I remember it correctly, or you can use the one from MATY with 3Booter at http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...ic,15585.0.html
Ive tried 3booter but for whatever reason whenever i try to open it it loads a black screen with some white text for less than a second before crashing
Instructor
#25 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 10:10 PM
Ive tried 3booter but for whatever reason whenever i try to open it it loads a black screen with some white text for less than a second before crashing

Oops.. sorry I forgot about that.., I just remember that it crashed for HD 520 with Win 10 as it was discussed here before http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=578661
Page 1 of 2