Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 7:24 PM
Default How to reorganize downloads in Sims 2?
Hello everyone!

I'm playing the Sims 2 on a laptop with 7 expansions (yes I know crazy) and I wanted to delete some downloads in order to make it easier for my laptop. The problem is, I used to download anything I liked and put it in the EA Games Downloads folder without classifying the content. At the very beginning I tried but then I gave up and now I have up to 4 000 files!
Is there a way I can organize all these files and maybe delete some? I downloaded Wardrobe wrangler, although I don't know if it's made for that purpose.

Thank you in advance!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 8:16 PM
Sims2Pack Clean Installer (available on MTS) is best! First create some sub-files in the Downloads folder: maybe, Hair, Clothes, Build, Mods, Furniture. Then run the installer; click on TYPE & it will group them together. That is, all the hair (& hopefully their meshes) will show together. If you right click on an item, you get the choice of MOVE, where you can find the sub-folder for Hair. Some stuff will have a picture which may help you recognize whither this is something you like. You can delete things you don't love. Lots of stuff I got have WAY to many colors, & I delete most of them. Keep in mind that some things (like that one base cabinet) are needed for everything else in that set to show up.

This utility is supposed to be helpful (but not fool-proof) in finding items with no required mesh, and vice versa - but I haven't figured out how to do this.
4,000 files is not a lot to ME, but I have a specially built desk-top; so I don't know what your machine can handle in Downloads.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#3 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 8:24 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 29th Jun 2014 at 8:38 PM.
You can use SimPE to recategorize furniture, fix ingame texts for objects, and pretty much everything else. Takes a bit of practice, though. Buy objects are easiest, and you'll only need the "Catalog Description (CTSS)" and "Object Data (OBJD)" to fix the catalog description and things like price or categories. Build objects are a little more tricky.

For clothes and other bodyshop stuff, you can use SimPE, but the Wardrobe Wrangler is perhaps easier to use.
Wardrobe Wrangler: http://forum.jfade.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=457
And Hat has a tutorial/explanation for the various Bodyshop things you'll need to know, here: http://hat-plays-sims.dreamwidth.org/34791.html

If you just want to sort the items in your Downloads folder, come up with a good system first. Try to keep to a max of 2-3 subfolders (...Downloads/subfolder1/subfolder2/subfolder3). For filenames, try to keep to a-z, 0-9, - and _ since more fancy filenames with ()[]{}@& and so on takes a bit longer for the game to read. Don't put , or . into the filenames besides the ".package" because anything behind a . is usually considered a filetype.

(I've got all EPs/SPs on a laptop, and it's not complaining or lagging - it depends on whether your laptop can handle it or not)
Scholar
#4 Old 30th Jun 2014 at 12:44 AM
Delphy's Download Organiser is really good http://modthesims.info/d/227925 , it will show you if things are a mesh or a recolour, and it can also identify orphans.
Test Subject
#5 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 4:45 AM
Hi all!! I'm in a bit of a pickle and I think maybe one of your wonderful people can help. I too need to organize my OLD Downloads folder (has over 11,000 items) but here's the kicker. Back in the day before I understood the true terror that was pirating I umm "borrowed" some of the Sims 2 games from piratebay. I only own Base/Nightlife/Business/Pets/Seasons/Glamour/Celebration. The issue is that a BUNCH of stuff I downloaded (in buy mode mostly) required Bon Voyage and whatnot so when my game decided to crash I took it to be because of those "borrowed games". Now I've reinstalled the games I owned and have started a NEW downloads folder but I miss my cc. Is there a newer program that can filter through all those files and figure out what eps and stuff packs they need to run? I'm no programmer so excuse me if my question seems dumb. I've downloaded Delphy's but I don't think it'll do everything I need. Hope to hear back soon!