Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 4:47 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3
Default Can You Change The Video Codec?
Hi, I'm new to this forum and The Sims in general, and I had a question about the camera mode that's included in the game. I've tried looking for this in several other forums, but I haven't been able to find an answer. Is it possible to change the video codec from vp60 to another custom codec? I've tried to record in a high resolution but I get some graphical glitches that only occur when I import the clips into my video editor (Sony Vegas). I know that I can change the name of the codec in the sims3.ini, but it still records in vp60.

Thanks.
Advertisement
In the Arena
retired moderator
#2 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 1:11 AM
OK, I don't claim to know video editing, this is just by reading some wikis and stuff, in like 10 mins...so I might just be rambling like a crazy person here. I just thought you might like someone to respond to your query, even if it is nonsense... [/end disclaimer]

Have you tried to edit the High setting codec to use the Max setting?
From the web pages I read, I understood that the codecs differ as
vp6 - lossy
rgb24 - lossless

...since the game already recognize that rgb24 codec, it might be more readily accepted. I suspect changing to totally different codec might need some tweaking in other areas of the game files.

If you're re-encoding and editing and have enough RAM, HDD space, CPU power, etc, have you tried just using the MaxQuality setting? If importing/editing a "lossy" encoded video don't give the best results, and I guess also depends on your editing software's import plugin, how about changing the editing software?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Jan 2010 at 5:53 AM
Thanks for your reply, I got it working. The footage records and plays very laggy, but it ends up exporting perfectly fine.

Now I just got to find a way to change the folder that the videos get recorded in. =^.^=
Test Subject
#4 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 9:23 PM
Hi, I've new on these things but I'd like to know if I can do something like this in TS4:

[VideoRecording]
LowQuality = video:vp6, audio:adpcm, fps:30.0, bitrate:8000
MediumQuality = video:vp8, audio:adpcm, fps:30.0, bitrate:8000
HighQuality = video:libx264, audio:pcm, fps:30.0, bitrate:8000
MaxQuality = video:rgb24, audio:pcm, fps:30.0, bitrate:10000
Small = 640, 0
Medium = 1080, 0
Large = 1920, 0

I want to try recording with these settings but I'm afraid to break something in the game.....

P.S.: I play with Ultra settings on 1920x1080px monitor, my pc is quite performant...