Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jan 2014 at 5:47 AM
Default Firefighting and Cheats?
I always have "testingcheatsenabled true" turned on for my games. I mostly use it to keep the needs static and to change my Sim's traits depending on their new job/profession.

Right now my Sim is trying to be a firefighter. I found the answer to one of my questions: Why will the fire alarm immediately go off when I click it to fight the fire. Because my favorite cheat is on. So I turned it off and somehow Dhara's (That's my Sim) needs remained static. I didn't know that would happen. But still when I click to fight the fires, that alarm turns off. Has this happened to anyone else? If it has, do you know how to make it work?

Dhara just went home to start work as a Stylist, so if I can figure out how to fight fires she'll go back to being a firefighter.

I don't know what you want from me I just wanna be left alone. I wish that you'd just go away. Go back where you came from. You love me like a hurricane then treat me like a stranger. You build me up then break me down. I don't need your kind of hurt.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 31st Jan 2014 at 11:25 AM
It's a bug. Good work EA. However I think they have improved it in a recent patch. I find now if I click on the fire engine my sim can usually respond to the fire, but if I click on the flame notice the action drops out. Someone over at the BBS said they can go to small fires if they switch between their sims, I can't test this as I only play single sims. I find my sim doesn't get as many small fire call outs as they did previously, there are more building emergencies so it is possible to move up slowly in that career. Co workers are an issue, they change jobs or must work the other shift because I seldom see any, but they are all useless anyway. Funny how my sim is the only one who actually works!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Jan 2014 at 10:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Annette19
It's a bug. Good work EA. However I think they have improved it in a recent patch. I find now if I click on the fire engine my sim can usually respond to the fire, but if I click on the flame notice the action drops out. Someone over at the BBS said they can go to small fires if they switch between their sims, I can't test this as I only play single sims. I find my sim doesn't get as many small fire call outs as they did previously, there are more building emergencies so it is possible to move up slowly in that career. Co workers are an issue, they change jobs or must work the other shift because I seldom see any, but they are all useless anyway. Funny how my sim is the only one who actually works!

I play single Sims a lot too. I thought about trying to play without the cheat just for that profession to see if that would work. I'll try clicking the truck next time.

But I know what you mean about the coworkers. They're horrible and don't help out at all. Lol

I don't know what you want from me I just wanna be left alone. I wish that you'd just go away. Go back where you came from. You love me like a hurricane then treat me like a stranger. You build me up then break me down. I don't need your kind of hurt.
Test Subject
#4 Old 2nd Feb 2014 at 8:58 AM
I have the same issue. Whether my game is modded or unmodded. The profession was pretty much broken by a patch EA released. I know it had issues before, but the issues are so widespread and game breaking now. Some people do get the stinking profession to work, and I'm jealous. But quite frankly, I'm ticked. This profession was sold in an expansion. It is supposed to work. EA broke it. Now we're left with a broken game (granted the game has so many issues this one is merely a drop in the bucket). Really wished they had fixed the stinking thing, but its' EA.
Inventor
#5 Old 2nd Feb 2014 at 1:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JezzaGates
I always have "testingcheatsenabled true" turned on for my games. I mostly use it to keep the needs static and to change my Sim's traits depending on their new job/profession.

Right now my Sim is trying to be a firefighter. I found the answer to one of my questions: Why will the fire alarm immediately go off when I click it to fight the fire. Because my favorite cheat is on. So I turned it off and somehow Dhara's (That's my Sim) needs remained static. I didn't know that would happen. But still when I click to fight the fires, that alarm turns off. Has this happened to anyone else? If it has, do you know how to make it work?

Dhara just went home to start work as a Stylist, so if I can figure out how to fight fires she'll go back to being a firefighter.

As far as I can figure rarely the home owner puts the fire out before the engine company can respond. I get one or two of those a week playing Bin Diver and the rest are fires I can put out. Occasionaly I will get a fire that wont let me action, I return to station and its still active. I have learned to rotate every direction to find a way to the fire.

Some people have a Guardian Angel, you know a little guy sitting on your shoulder that tells you right from wrong, but mine is an Idiot.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 2nd Feb 2014 at 5:26 PM
Same problem here. My firefighter profession is broken too. In the earlier versions, before Supernatural and such, I got it working with Nraas' StoryProgression but that doesn't work anymore. Good job EA, you done goofed the most awesome profession up.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 2nd Feb 2014 at 6:12 PM
Yup, always had this problem. I only got the game a few months ago, so whatever 'patch' broke it was in my game from the beginning.

My sim's first day of firefighting was great; all his coworkers were there and he got to know them. But after that they never bothered to show up for work again. When I called them I always got the 'Oh, I can't talk right now, I'm busy, but I'll be available in 12 hours' message. When I called back in 12 hours I got the same damn message, just a different number of hours. So basically they were never available to talk (too busy to come to work too!).

The rabbit hole emergencies worked fine. It was the small house fires that did not. So many times the emergency would vanish as if it never existed. Large house fires were no problem....unless my sim was there after his work hours, in which case the entire emergency would freeze, my sim would be unable to enter the house and therefore fail the job (I found a solution/workaround to this but can't remember what it was).

One time there was a fire in the house across the street. My sim went there. Guess whose house it was? HIS COWORKER. The idiot stood outside screaming his head off (in his fireman's uniform, no less) while my sim put out the fire. Afterwards, the coworker walked across the street and right into the station as if the fire reminded him where he worked. He stayed til the end of the shift but never came back again.

Luckily my sim skilled up enough that most of the jobs he got were only large house fires but this career was FUN and killed by the fact that most of the emergencies vanished in the early stages. Honestly I was so fed up with the bugs in this game that I haven't played it since about December. And I really enjoyed the Ambitions EP, too.