Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
View Poll Results: What's your opinion on The Sims 3: Ambitions?
I love it like llamas!
3 42.86%
It's okay. I've seen better EPs.
0 0%
I'm disappointed.
0 0%
I hate it. I HATE IT!
0 0%
Objects falling toward earth accelerate at 9.81 m/s(2).
4 57.14%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Test Subject
#51 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 3:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
GutterQueen - That was sorted out ages ago. Look in the Help section (under Custom Content) for info.

i've spent the last 2 days doing that. The dashboard doesn't show up any files that could be causing a problem and the process monitor doesn't seem to work ???
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 4:23 PM
Aside from the map labels in Twinbrooks issue I'm having, I'm enjoying it. The PI skills make tombraiding in WA even better, but the map label thing is my only problem. It seems to only happen in that grungy town, though. Loving the stylist profession and the options that come with it. Keep with the updates, though. Always wanting new stuff.
Test Subject
#53 Old 5th Jun 2010 at 12:18 PM
It sounds so fun! Where is my postman with my copy? I'm so not doing pre order again!
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 5th Jun 2010 at 6:29 PM Last edited by Iryl : 6th Jun 2010 at 3:37 PM.
Simbots

Time Machine

Stylist Career

Consignment Store Inventor Bug

Sound Bug
When I have everything muted and a Sims plays a computer game on the laptop, it blares the noise at me.

Traits

Lifetime Rewards

Forum Resident
#55 Old 5th Jun 2010 at 7:49 PM
I am really liking it. I detested WA but I was psyched for this EP from the start.

Twinbrook is amazing. I'm not a big fan of playing the premades in TS3, but the neighbourhood is visually stunning. I usually love playing big mansions, but it's actually rather fun to play these decrepit houses down by the swamp.

The official forums are really irritating me though because people are complaining about it and saying it was 'rushed out'. It doesn't fell rushed to me AT ALL. When I first played, I kept experiencing crashes, but I sorted that out with a quick Google search. I think some players need lessons on computer literacy!
Test Subject
#56 Old 5th Jun 2010 at 10:48 PM
I like this EP, I think my favorite thing is the sculptor, but also ghostbusting was fun and easy. I am not a fan of Twinbrook, it's swaminess is very grody to me.

However: I think I have a bug, because I had an inventor, and when I used (testingcheatsenabled: make all needs static), and played him for a week, his needs did stay up, but when I checked at the town hall, all the townies were there rioting and I could not get them to leave. It was weird, and I had to delete the neighborhood and create a new one to get the game to work properly again. 80
Test Subject
#57 Old 5th Jun 2010 at 10:52 PM
Can u be a photographer in the sims 3 ambitions? like take family photographs and stuff?
Test Subject
#58 Old 5th Jun 2010 at 10:59 PM
Wow reading this reviews makes me want my copy like yesterday!!! Sadly I have to wait another two to three days for mine to arrive in the post! *grumbles about not pre-ordering sooner*

Thanks for the info on here, I do wanna just add (dunno if this in the right place but here goes nothing) that my Sims3 game tells me when updates are ready to be installed. So obviously with this expansion out, it needs another update! Well I've already got the tattoos on my game now! Plus a few other bits and bobs from Ambitions.

Again thanks for the reviews on this, I can't wait for my game to come now.
Field Researcher
#59 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 7:39 PM
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen so few posts saying that people didn't like it :O It's....it's......SHOCKING!!

Happiness is a direction, not a place
Eminence Grise
#60 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 9:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by enigmabstract
Can u be a photographer in the sims 3 ambitions? like take family photographs and stuff?

You can register as self-employed with the photography skill from WA, in which case your career progress is based on how many photographs you sell.
Test Subject
#61 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 12:04 AM
I'm surprised at how steep the requirements are for making a 'bot. Not the life fruit, that's not all that difficult, but I've never seen either the gem or the mineral, and I've never advanced to the heart-shaped gem cut. Am I missing something? Is it easier to get those than I understand? Short of the treasure-box, I mean.

- Gus
Forum Resident
#62 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 12:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simtastic2
The game is awesome! I <3 it. And for the new CC thingy, my CC is still in program files and it works fine.

Did you know that if you move your custom content to the new place that it will be identified with the little folder icon? You can now hide all the ugly EA stuff including clothing and patterns. See screenshots.

Sometimes the Dragon wins and I AM the Dragon!
Test Subject
#63 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 1:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Iryl
Sound Bug
When I have everything muted and a Sims plays a computer game on the laptop, it blares the noise at me.

I get this bug with WA updated to the latest pre-ambitions patch. Very frustrating.
Top Secret Researcher
#64 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 3:49 AM
I love this review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uyIXahNs08

Especially on 5:08. It is SIMPLY AWESOME!
Field Researcher
#65 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 6:29 AM
Everyone seems to be enjoying ambitions so much meanwhile i can't even get the new town to load
Test Subject
#66 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 7:26 AM
I tried to make a topic asking if I should get this and was referred to this topic.

I bought the Sims 3 when it was first released and spent about 3-4 weeks playing it until I got bored and stopped. When World Adventures was released I decided not to get it. It didn't look like it added enough to the game for me to want it. I also had problems with Sims 2 when installing new expansions and dealing with all the new bugs / mods not working which I didn't feel like going through again with the Sims 3.

Ambitions looks like it is a good expansion that will make the game more fun to play. Unfortunately it looks like EA has increased the cost of their sims expansions for the sims 3, and it's only around 25% cheaper than a new game compared to the 50% cheaper Sims 2 expansions. I'm not sure if it's worth paying that much for an expansion when I could just buy another game for almost the same price. And if I have to deal with bugs / mods not working it's going to make the expansion less enjoyable when I start playing it as well.

I think that I'll probably get it eventually, but I'm not sure if it would be better to wait until those problems have been fixed (although EA's updates never fixed all of the bugs in Sims 2, so I'm not sure if waiting would achieve anything) and all of the mods have been updated. But I'm not very good at being patient when there's something that I want to have so if there aren't many problems with the game then I'd like to get it now.

I also wanted to know if I should get World Adventures at the same time. When buying Sims 2 expansions I always got them in order as soon as they were released. Can there by any problems with the game or with mods if you are missing some expansions? Unfortunately it doesn't look like the price for it has dropped by much, but maybe with the things from Ambitions included there will be more things for me to do with some of the features from WA.
Eminence Grise
#67 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 8:39 AM
Well, I can't tell you if it's worth the money for you personally or not, or if you'd like it better than some unspecified other game you can buy

I can answer your last question though. WA does mesh quite well with Ambitions. The two new skills that came with WA can be used as skill careers now, for instance, and the stuff you produce with them can be sold in the Consignment Shop. If you have WA the sculptor can make more sculptures, and the mummies get integrated into the Time Machine outcomes. And so on.

As for WA on its own merits, it's kinda like BV but more so... in that the main new action is like a totally different game from the main game. When you're abroad you can't go to work or school, but instead you have tomb-exploring type adventures to do. There's a ton of content there, and three very well fleshed-out worlds to explore, but eventually you will get to the end of it. So, a matter of taste. IMO it's a lot better than BV was though -- shares the same drawbacks, but has a lot more to do when you're away from home.

Shouldn't affect the game or most mods if you don't get WA, though (of course, except for mods that use specifically WA features). All that matters is that you have the latest patch.

If you're interested in downloading player-made (CAW) worlds... and there are some really nice ones out there by now... most of the good ones require WA, since it adds a lot of features that are great for world creators. So that's something to keep in mind.
Instructor
#68 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 8:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Iryl
Simbots
Consignment Store Inventor Bug

Try dragging them to the little sell box in your inventory tab. That always worked for me.
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 10:51 AM
I agree with Srikandi, it's nice that they tied in some features between the two EPs.

For instance, I love that you can buy some WA items through the consignment store, no need to go to Egypt to buy a camera anymore, ha! (or use the buydebug cheat ).

I agree that WA is superior to Bon Voyage and that the game does have an end regarding the dungeon playing. But the three new skills and all the new collectibles can easily be imported in your base neighborhood by putting martial arts items in the gyms, and placing some plants, fish, and nectar making items there too! The only things that cannot be imported so far are the new recipes which you must buy at the libraries abroad, but thankfully you can also learn them by watching the cooking TV or sharing cooking secrets with another sim.
Forum Resident
#70 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 1:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by magic cookie
For instance, I love that you can buy some WA items through the consignment store, no need to go to Egypt to buy a camera anymore, ha! (or use the buydebug cheat ).
I love the idea of that. I've had to send my sims to other locales just so they could get recipe books for their favorite foods. Unfortunately, I started a new neighborhood for Ambitions, and I haven't figured out how to open the consignment store.
Field Researcher
#71 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 2:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by acid_fairy
The official forums are really irritating me though because people are complaining about it and saying it was 'rushed out'. It doesn't fell rushed to me AT ALL. When I first played, I kept experiencing crashes, but I sorted that out with a quick Google search. I think some players need lessons on computer literacy!

That does seem a bit odd. IMNSHO, Ambitions seems to be one of the more polished EPs to come out for a Sims game in quite a while. Especially considering that it expands quite a bit on the gameplay options.

Also, while I was happy enough with WA, I am so glad we finally got an EP that takes advantage of the seamless hoods and provides more community-based activities.

So I'm like, "Cool! What should I get? Brain in a jar... monkey's paw... ooh, pie!"
Lab Assistant
#72 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 2:53 PM
I noticed a lot more activity in my neighborhoods after I installed Ambitions. Maybe I just wasn't very observant before, but the last few times I played I noticed a lot more sims in their yards and out on the streets. It seems easier to make friends when you can find other sims to socialize with.
Alchemist
#73 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 7:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kindergoat54
I noticed a lot more activity in my neighborhoods after I installed Ambitions. Maybe I just wasn't very observant before, but the last few times I played I noticed a lot more sims in their yards and out on the streets. It seems easier to make friends when you can find other sims to socialize with.

I noticed the same thing. I think it's something they fixed
Lab Assistant
#74 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 7:50 PM
It's a great fix. It's nice to not have to run all over town looking for sims to befriend.
Field Researcher
#75 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 8:16 PM
One thing I've found I don't like...when you tune up your motorcycle, you just pay money and boom, it's tuned...I'd much rather have an animation where you are out there working on the bike and improving your handiness skill. Haven't tried firefighter yet, so I don't know what the Upgrade Engine is like.

If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly
Locked thread | Locked by: leefish Reason: old thread.
Page 3 of 4