Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Mar 2010 at 3:49 PM
Default Tiling Issue
I'm still working on the large mirror that I had to change the tiling on in order to fix texture distortion due to its size. The issue I'm having is that when I put the mirror into the game the texture looks just the right size since I fixed the tiling. If I change the pattern to one of the pattern swatches it still looks fine. But if I choose one of the default patterns the tiling reverts to what it was before and the texture looks distorted again. This alteration of the tiling persists even if I go back and select a swatch again.

The pic illustrates what I mean. Both of these are using the same metal pattern on the mirror. The one on the left shows the pattern applied before selecting a default pattern and the one on the right is after applying a default pattern and then applying the metal pattern.

Does anyone know if there's any way of getting the tiling to "stick" even if a default pattern is selected? Or is this just something we need to warn downloaders about if we share an object we've changed the tiling on?
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 15th Mar 2010 at 3:57 PM
Have you tried deleting compositor cache?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Mar 2010 at 4:19 PM
These are the caches I delete:

CASPartCache.package
compositorCache.package
scriptCache.package
simCompositorCache.package

I delete the World caches also whenever something happens to appear in there although that folder is usually empty. Am I missing some other cache?...it seems everytime I think I have 'em all there's another one lurking there somewhere...lol.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#4 Old 15th Mar 2010 at 4:42 PM
Does the texture mess up when you select the first default?

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
#5 Old 15th Mar 2010 at 4:40 PM
I do have this same thing with a stairfix I just made. You know those cheap deck stairs that since the patch made them recolourable every 4th step is lighter than the others? Well I made a fix for that, but it only takes hold after you choose a different design in CAST. If you use their original colour, the bright 4th step comes back.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Alchemist
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th Mar 2010 at 4:44 PM
The tiling reverts no matter which default I pick and once reverted stays reverted.

I don't have any patches on the game I use most of the time and haven't seen the issue you're describing Inge. But why does it not surprise me that EA should have this weird issue?...lol.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#7 Old 15th Mar 2010 at 6:09 PM
I just tried to change the tiling on a mirror, and it wouldn't reflect my changes at all. I opened the package in TSR and the tiling hadn't changed.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Alchemist
Original Poster
#8 Old 15th Mar 2010 at 8:22 PM
That's odd...which mirror did you clone? I used the three tile full wall mirror in the object above. The tiling changed without difficulty using the method you described in the poor texture thread. (are you sure you saved your changes?)
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#9 Old 15th Mar 2010 at 9:30 PM
I tried everything, and the only place the changes were shown were in s3pe. So I went back to s3pe-1002-24-1519, opened the same package, looked in the OBJD and everything was the same. I committed without making any changes and saved and it worked. It also didn't revert back to the original tiling.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
#10 Old 15th Mar 2010 at 9:51 PM
Why did you choose that particular version of s3pe? Ideally you should either stick to the last "official" stable release or join the QA and keep updating. It doesn't do to stick half way through a QA cycle as that way you're probably most likely to get a broken one

˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#11 Old 15th Mar 2010 at 10:29 PM
My first try was with the latest release. I went back to s3pe-1002-24-1519 because it was the last version I was using and I knew it worked before.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Alchemist
Original Poster
#12 Old 15th Mar 2010 at 10:29 PM
I have 1729 s3pe. Maybe I should try making my object with 1519 to see what will happen. Inge, do you think it would be a problem if I used an older version of S3PE just for this one object? I wouldn't want to bork anyone's game but I also want my tiling to stay put.
#13 Old 15th Mar 2010 at 10:52 PM
Ok what are you saying? The latest release is broken in some way the one before was not?

Alchemist
Original Poster
#14 Old 15th Mar 2010 at 11:04 PM Last edited by orangemittens : 15th Mar 2010 at 11:28 PM.
I don't know if it is. I don't know which mirror cmo cloned. I don't know if it's the same one I cloned or not.

But cmo said the 1519 allowed him to change the tiling and that it stayed put. I'm using a later version and my tiling isn't staying put. So I want to try the 1519 version and see if it will work on my mirror the way it is on his.

But if it does, do you think it would be ok to share that object even though it was cloned with a later version of the cloner or do you think it could cause problems in the game if I did that? I don't want to share something that has the risk of borking someone else's game.

eta: I'm sorry to be painful...I know you and Peter work hard on this and keeping track of what's going on in meshing could end up feeling like trying to herd cats. But I honestly wasn't aware of this until I tried the default texture on my re-tiled mirror today...I retiled it awhile ago but the defaults are kinda icky so I never happened to try them on it before.

Also, since we're talking about tool versions I just realized you updated S3PE two days ago...I'm downloading the new version and will try my mirror with that first before using the 1519 version.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#15 Old 16th Mar 2010 at 6:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Ok what are you saying? The latest release is broken in some way the one before was not?

Nah, I tried it over and over again with various objects and it worked every time. It had to be something I was doing wrong. And the closest thing I could get to OM's problem was when I chose a default that I hadn't change the tiling on and then chose a default I had changed the tiling on. It would revert back to the original tiling for a second or two(especially if the patterns had to load) and then it would change.

OM, did you change the tiling on all the defaults?

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Alchemist
Original Poster
#16 Old 16th Mar 2010 at 12:09 PM Last edited by orangemittens : 16th Mar 2010 at 12:25 PM.
I didn't know we had to but when I posted my question initially I was hoping it was something I was doing wrong and not that we just couldn't fix this. I guess it makes sense that we would need to change each Materials line but it just didn't occur to me to do it.

eta: I changed the TGI blocks for each of the Materials lines and now the tiling is working perfectly for all the defaults. And I've got a shiny new version of S3PE too

Thank you both for helping me