Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Mar 2010 at 7:49 PM
How do you blend 2 objects together in Milkshape?
I'm trying to make 1 object from 2. and where they are overlapping I'm getting a sharp edge. I want it to feather into the 2nd object.

For an example putting a ball half way into a cube. I want the ball to feather or blend Like a fillet around where the ball meets the cube.

I'm thinking I need to cut a round hole into the cube and attach half of the ball onto it. But can not figure it out.

Can someone point me in the right direction on how to take 2 objects and make them into one?

Thanks
Tim
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 21st Mar 2010 at 8:10 PM
Why can't you just cut half the ball off and paste it onto the cube? Maybe I'm not understanding what it is you're trying to accomplish...pictures might help
Inventor
#3 Old 21st Mar 2010 at 8:15 PM
Do you mean making a smooth transition from the bal surface to the cube surface? Sorry, I'm Dutch and do not understand "feather or blend Like a fillet around"
You probably can use the Align Normals plug in from Demon432. http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=139859
Select the faces you want to align and click Align Normals.

HI OM !! I am such a slow typist.

Oh, I think I know what you mean with feather, its like how a nose is attached to a face, yes? Wider on the bottom than on the top?
If you make the edges of the bal look like sharktheeth, by deleting seperate faces between, and also on the edges of your cube, you can use Vertex merge plug in from WesHowe to close the theeth to form one surface.
Alchemist
#4 Old 21st Mar 2010 at 8:18 PM
Lol...don't feel too bad about the language thing. I've gotta admit I'm not getting much of a mental image from the fillet terminology there either.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Mar 2010 at 8:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Cocomama
Oh, I think I know what you mean with feather, its like how a nose is attached to a face, yes? Wider on the bottom than on the top?

Yes that is what I'm trying to do. A smooth blend and not sharp edges like 90 degree edges where the object 1 meets object 2.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Tim
Inventor
#6 Old 21st Mar 2010 at 8:36 PM
You should however already think about how you will be UV mapping your object, maybe the sharkteeth idea is not so good, if you want to UV texture the bal and the cube seperatly.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Mar 2010 at 8:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Cocomama
You should however already think about how you will be UV mapping your object, maybe the sharkteeth idea is not so good, if you want to UV texture the bal and the cube seperatly.

Will be UV mapped as 1 object.

The cube and ball was just an example. Just wanted to know how to smooth the 2 objects together.

I'll try the plugin.

Thanks
Tim
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 22nd Mar 2010 at 4:14 AM
Can not get it to work in Milkshape (Figure it out). I'm going to have to do it in a CAD program and export as a wavefront obj.

Tim
Sockpuppet
#9 Old 22nd Mar 2010 at 7:30 AM Last edited by Base1980 : 22nd Mar 2010 at 7:42 AM.
weld the parts together on the seam, then turn on autosmooth, mirror the object one time and back, turnautosmooth off and if necesarry(not when you are going to uvmap it as one object) cut the object in 2 again by regrouping them.

edit,
Oh, this is not going to work when your not going to make one object..
You have to attache them and delete the faces inbetween.
It is difficult to alligne the 2 parts if they are not connected.
You might can try copying the normals from one vertex to another with Wes his normal merge tool(part of his unimesh plugin for sims 2)
Alchemist
#10 Old 22nd Mar 2010 at 12:03 PM
Don't know if this will help but here's a page showing how to make MS perform some different functions it can do:

http://www.psionic.pwp.blueyonder.c...ly/mbasics.html

But if you already know how to use some other tool well and it's able to import/export objs then maybe it's easiest to use the program you're familiar with and just use MS to get things to and from the game format.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 24th Mar 2010 at 2:11 AM
Thanks everyone.

This helps a bunch. Now to figure out bones (Joints)..

Tim
Alchemist
#12 Old 24th Mar 2010 at 4:15 AM
The joints are easy. If your object has only one, which most do, it's a simple two-click process in MS. If your object has more you have to scroll through the joints to find the one you need to replace with your mesh. Not difficult but more time consuming. There are several threads which discuss how to deal with EA's joints here in the forum. If you can't find them post again.