Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Feb 2015 at 6:03 AM
Default Getting New Laptop
I'm getting a new laptop. It's a:

Asus - 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 4GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive with a •NVIDIA GTX 850M graphics card

My current plays The Sims 3 game and its exps.well enough on low to medium settings, even high if I'm not playing extensively. It's a:

Samsung's Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with an Intel Pentium CPU processor of about 2.1 GHz, 4096 MB of memory, and an Intel HD Graphics cards.

I don't have an internet connection so no programs run in the background or update. I update using the wifi from my college's facilities. I use limited programs, too so I think that's why the The Sims 3 runs ok on my current laptop.

But its time for a new one and that Asus meets my budget. I'm hoping its much better than my current one. If you need a link to the laptop I'm getting, tell me, and I'll post it. I hope you can help and I hope I put this in the right place.

Thank you!
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 6th Feb 2015 at 8:17 AM
The specs are good, but how much does it cost? Can you provide a link?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Feb 2015 at 9:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ajaxsirius
The specs are good, but how much does it cost? Can you provide a link?

Sure!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-15...2&skuId=9463207
Scholar
#4 Old 6th Feb 2015 at 12:35 PM
Get it from newegg instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16834232132, $779.00 at the moment, and has 4GB more RAM than the bestbuy version!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Feb 2015 at 1:57 PM
Yay! Thanks for finding that! I'm pretty excited about getting a new laptop and that one saves me more money than I thought. I'm looking forward to trying out the better specs. Now just have to prepare my cc for the transfer to the new one.

Thanks!
Scholar
#6 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 6:39 AM
Just wanted to add something since you said you're under budget. Ideally for the sims 3 you would get a GPU that's one step more powerful, so a GTX 860M (the asus has a GTX 850M). The 860M would get you a smooth frame rate at high-ish settings, and the 850M should get you smooth frame rates at medium-ish settings. The 850M is still good for the sims 3, and I still recommend the asus from newegg because of its price. With a mobile i7 and 8GB of RAM it's really good value at $779. Finding a laptop with a 860M will bring you closer to $1000 so I'm not sure if that's worth it to you, but just thought I could give you the info.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 8:47 AM
But comparing that Asus with my current laptop, how much better is it?
Scholar
#8 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 9:31 AM
Oh the asus from newegg is a huge improvement over what you have. 300% better? 400% better? Every single performance aspect is atleast twice as good.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 10:31 AM
Wow, Kay, then the Asus it is. I can go higher and I might. My budget originally was a 1000 but I wanted to see how well that compared to my old one. As I said it plays okay but I wanted better specs for my new one and I'm giving my old one to my sister for her to try out and see how well she takes care of it before my parents get her one. I was saving up for a new one anyway and thought I get a bit of advice from here. Asus sounds like a great deal and with the rest I can save or buy something else! I'm excited! Will be ordering today!
Scholar
#10 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 10:46 AM
Nice, let us know how it plays once you get it!