Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Feb 2015 at 1:00 AM
Default Is this computer good for gaming?
Can this computer handle the Sims 2 and the Sims 3? What about Sims 4?

http://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...00-216-Desktop/

Want to make super sure before buying anything.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 3rd Feb 2015 at 1:54 AM
No. It's not good. You'll get disappointing performance in The Sims 3 & 4.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 3rd Feb 2015 at 2:18 PM
For a bit more detail, you need a better graphics card. If you're on a budget, then go for less memory to offset the cost - 12GB is overkill just for sims, I'd go for 8GB. I don't know much about the CPU but benchmarks seem to suggest it should be okay.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Theorist
#4 Old 3rd Feb 2015 at 7:02 PM
As someone who's owned a couple of these AMD APU's, you should do just fine. The integrated graphics are probably entirely suitable for all of the Sims games with one caveat: These things cram a graphics chip onto the CPU. They're also AMD. That means they run hot. You might consider investing in an aftermarket cooler, but at some point, after a couple of years, I've had them suffer from weird heat spikes regardless of coolers.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with buying this thing now and being satisfied with it (as long as you're not looking to play FPS games much) and then dropping an graphics card in later on. I wouldn't drop the RAM like Nysha says, because without actual graphics RAM I think the APUs use the regular RAM as a substitute. So basically I've always gone on the principle of "more is better" with the things.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 3rd Feb 2015 at 7:23 PM
Should be fine, but I'd personally suggest installing a more powerful AMD video card (GPU) instead of using the on-board one. I'd also suggest uninstalling windows 8 and installing 64-Bit windows 7, but I guess that would be more of a preference choice than a performance one.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Scholar
#6 Old 3rd Feb 2015 at 9:22 PM Last edited by ajaxsirius : 3rd Feb 2015 at 9:38 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Mistermook
As someone who's owned a couple of these AMD APU's, you should do just fine. The integrated graphics are probably entirely suitable for all of the Sims games with one caveat: These things cram a graphics chip onto the CPU. They're also AMD. That means they run hot. You might consider investing in an aftermarket cooler, but at some point, after a couple of years, I've had them suffer from weird heat spikes regardless of coolers.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with buying this thing now and being satisfied with it (as long as you're not looking to play FPS games much) and then dropping an graphics card in later on. I wouldn't drop the RAM like Nysha says, because without actual graphics RAM I think the APUs use the regular RAM as a substitute. So basically I've always gone on the principle of "more is better" with the things.

I'd have to disagree that this is "suitable" for The Sims 3. Of course that depends on your definition of whats "suitable" and what "disappointing". Let me put it this way, at 1920x1080 you'll probably have to play with all settings on low and even then you'll probably only get like 30fps. And that's without mods or CC. I looked up the benchmarks on that integrated GPU, it's weaker than a GTS 450. If you look at the modthsims.info system requirements page for The Sims 3, you'll see there's a clear No for later expansion packs for The Sims 3. And the AMD GPU is weaker than that.

To add to that, for roughly the same amount of money you can get something a lot better.

Example:

MoBo: ASRock Z97M Pro4 – $99.99
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 – $69.99
RAM: HyperX Fury Black Series 1600MHz 2x4GB – $73.99
GPU: Sapphire DUAL-X Radeon R9 280 – $189.99
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB – $54.99
PSU: Antec VP-450W – $39.99
Case: Xigmatek Aeso – $29.99

Estimated Total Price – $659 vs $650 for the HP Envy.

Pre-made (but open box):

Intel Core i5 4460 (3.2GHz)
8GB DDR3 1TB HDD
Windows 8.1 64-Bit
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 3 GB

$639.99, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16883220798R
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 4:20 AM
So, wait, this thing doesn't even have a proper video card? Yeesh! Well, if anyone has more suggestions for better builds under $1000, I'd like to hear them. I'd prefer not to have to build, but if I have to I guess I can.

Also, for that pre-made comp, can it handle Sims 3?
Scholar
#8 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 4:49 AM
Aye, the Office Depot pc you linked to doesnt have a dedicated graphics card.

The pre-built i linked is open box, but yes it can run the sims 3 on highest settings at 1920x1080 with smooth frame rates. If you are not opposed to assembling your own PC though we can help you pick parts that will get you something fantastic for the sims 3 while staying under $1000.

Assembling yourself lets you take advantage of sales and discount deals from various sellers, and generally results in having better quality parts. Pre-built is generally more expensive and they cut corners on certain parts by providing lesser quality ones, but you don't have to assemble anything yourself.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 5:23 AM
As can be seen in the picture the Officedepot one most likely have a PCIE slot on the motherboard, so it can be upgraded with a graphic card.
Note: though knowing HP, the PSU is proberly to weak to handle that..
HP ENVY 700-216
Screenshots

I want my Space Pony title back.. why was it there such a short time..
Scholar
#10 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 6:18 AM
Yup, it says 300W PSU but doesn't mention the amperage on the +12V. Probably gonna have to buy a new PSU if you go that route. So cost of the envy + cost of new GPU + cost of new PSU + assembly time. Better to just buy new parts IMO, you'll have to disassemble and then reassemble the envy anyway, so might as well just get custom parts.