Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#26 Old 22nd Jul 2016 at 9:01 PM
My sim dorms are fully stocked with everything the students need to build skills, have fun, etc. (and they meet and socialize by inviting other dorms over to have big parties). Accordingly, I don't really think Uni needs any community lots and virtually never go to the ones that came with the campus to begin with.
Advertisement
Instructor
#27 Old 23rd Jul 2016 at 3:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by deadhead_kay
(Tho I still don't have my sims pay for tuition, cause that is an anxiety I will never get over)

I actually just completed my loan counseling today. I have enough in scholarship money that they estimated my student loan burden to be ranked "low," but I still feel like I need to sign off my first born child, plus an additional three payments of $19.99 for shipping and handling.

I equally hate the largeness of the shipped universities. One of the reasons I love making custom schools is so I can squish everything together and click on buildings nearby to get my sims to go there. I really don't feel like calling a cab every time I want to get across campus. Plus they're already walking to their imaginary lecture hall, so why not put their dorm right next to the coffee shop?
Theorist
#28 Old 23rd Jul 2016 at 4:04 AM
Since my sims like to live life to the fullest and experience as much as possible, they most often go back to their hometown to their old hang outs with old friends who haven't reached Uni status yet or maybe take a date to dinner and dancing. This also helps with new sims that may have been created in Uni CAS or some of the pre-mades to make friends and gain more skills or whatever else before they graduate. To use up Uni time, they most often use a gym or study hall and sometimes shop for new clothes when they first arrive. (:

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Scholar
#29 Old 23rd Jul 2016 at 10:26 PM
I think about which places my Sims would visit and build them. If that means taking out some hoods when one lot of students leaves the university because the incomers would prefer going to different places, then that's fine by me. The "retired" locales remain in my headcanon, and sometimes come back with a refurbishment if they become relevant again.

At the moment, my university has no community lots at all, but that will likely change quite soon; I feel that the students in one dorm in particular are getting itchy feet about staying in their dorm all day. Previously, I've had libraries, student unions, markets, concert venues, gyms, parks, pools, churches, graveyards, spaceports, research pods, graduation plazas and discos come and go.
Forum Resident
#30 Old 23rd Jul 2016 at 11:01 PM
that thing with I live in denmark where education is free ._.

I tend to small colleges to tho. Often adding a minimal of some sort. I do not like comunity lots though.
Space Pony
#31 Old 23rd Jul 2016 at 11:41 PM
i myself never play with shipped unis, as I like to play with tiny hoods and tiny lots (the habid remained from the time I had very old laptop what ran smoothly only small lots, and crashed all the time while visiting at communitylots in those shipped unis). Uni is my favorite EP tho, but have to be honest I hated it before Mootilda's lovely Brainania came out <3

Now with way better computer I still do not like lots over 3x3, and I am one of those players whos students only sleep, eat (not even that all the time) and maybe take a shower at dorms, all other things, socializing and skill learning happens at small(ish) communitylots
Mad Poster
#32 Old 24th Jul 2016 at 12:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lauratje86
I once made a tiny university campus on an island. The idea was that it was the only place to go to study after a huge flood had destroyed most of SimNation/the world. It only offered two majors - Medicine and Education - and it was very expensive to study there, and sims had o pay travel costs as well as tuition fees and living costs.

As far as lots were concerned, it had two small dorms (one for each major), a small lecture hall (I don't like not having at least one lot that YA's could conceivably be going to when they go to class) and a tiny park, with trees/shrubs and a fallen log bench. The main point of the park was that it was a convenient woohoo location (with ACR sims can woohoo on sofas/benches) and it was a place to go during dates to reroll wants, if required.

You inspired me. I was wondering where I could put my community college buildings, now that it appears the Squinge/Chaavik mods wreak apocalyptic scenarios in my hoods. Honestly, I have no idea why these mods work for everyone else, but they're doing something awful in my Uni hoods. They wipe out my YAs UI and age them to adults, trapping them in a Uni world where they cannot escape. No. I'm not kidding. They stay there and you can't do anything with them. And as a bonus, even if you yank out your Downloads folder, the problem remains. I just had to roll my hoods back three months since apparently, between a nasty M&G game corruption problem (one that might be related to Windows' mega-update exactly around the time my hoods went weird, even though all my hoods are read-only. Coincidence? I wonder ... ) and this situation, my Uni hoods were pretty much toast.

Probably a conflicting mod. Or the NPC chef gave everyone massive food poisoning.

Anyway ... an island college for my four buildings sounds interesting. I used M.M.A.A,'s new terrain as a test, and the result isn't too bad. I'm still deciding, through, if I want a second campus (I already have a Maxis one, and do not believe you can delete one you've played, though I could be wrong), or should I open it to the public and do some sort of spread-sheet simulation for younger adult Sims who are not attending college? I could make up grades and stuff and use the lecterns. MAYBE I'll try the Squinge mod that keeps my adult Sims from whining that they didn't go to Uni one day. Not now. Or maybe they will just have to toughen up. I think you all can see why I'm really wary about touching any of those mods again.

Thanks for the idea!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#33 Old 24th Jul 2016 at 12:30 AM
You can delete played colleges. The sims attending it will land in the family bin at your other colleges.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#34 Old 24th Jul 2016 at 7:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
You can delete played colleges. The sims attending it will land in the family bin at your other colleges.

Better yet for me ... since I had to go so far back, one of those Unis has none of my custom Sims at all. So if I delete that one with no nasty consequences (one hood meltdown is enough, thanks), even better

I'll probably leave it in there unplayed until I finish a new campus. Then I'll delete the Maxis Uni.

I can always make it a main hood enrichment campus in Pleasantview and a Uni campus in my custom hood. Then I can enjoy both variations. Thank you!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Page 2 of 2