Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Apr 2012 at 6:16 PM Last edited by IcefoxAxel : 1st May 2012 at 6:19 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations
Graphical errors after power outage
I'm at a loss at what to do here. I've tried the game help page's possibilities one after another, reinstalled the game twice, and cleared absolutely every Sims 3-related file at one point, and my game continues to glitch out. It looks like the rendering system just got annoyed and started pitching random triangles around in a fit of rage. As you can see below, not only is the character full of holes, but the terrain behind him is barely interconnected once it exceeds the boundaries of his lot.

This all started after a power outage took my computer down for under one second while I was in the middle of playing TS3. I was playing in Bridgeport (which is no longer visible, due to extreme graphical anomalies, such as huge texture planes covering the whole town) and then, after the power went out, my savegame was gone and any attempts to open other saves or create new games in any world (even newly downloaded ones, like Lunar Lakes) would end up like this. I don't know what's causing it, and I don't know that any other game looks like this, but my hardware is fine. I hope someone can help me, because I've been tearing my hair out since yesterday (April 29th, 2012) trying to figure out how to fix it, to no avail.

EDIT: My specs are below:
  • CPU: AMD Phenom II x2 3.5GHz
  • GPU: AMD Radeon HD 4200
  • Memory: 4GB (3.75GB Usable)
  • Audio: Realtek High-Definition Audio

Sorry for the direct link to the huge picture. Nothing wanted to resize the picture without making it a blur of pixels.
Advertisement
In the Arena
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st May 2012 at 5:40 AM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
  • General - Post System Specs
    We need more information before we can help with your issue.
    • Please post a Quick summary of your System Specs
      Instructions on finding them are here: Game Help:System Specswiki.
    Please Do NOT post your complete DxDiag report in your thread.

• Sims 3 - Game Problems
    Please go through this FAQ and follow the instructions, doing each step in order and not skipping anything:Most issues with the game can be resolved by following those steps.

Reinstalled after a Full Uninstall following our FAQs?
Do the Game Problem FAQ - all steps - so we can determine if the issue is with caches, CC, or other files in the User Folders, or corrupted files in Program Files. If you have done the Game Problem FAQ before now, let us know then what happens at each step.

This happens in a pre-outage Save and a post-outage new game? You've loaded a new game after the reinstall, with new user folders?
New games still exhibit this glitches? And there's no Bridgeport in the New Game dropdown, after renaming and using new set of user folders? That points to Program Files being corrupted. And is this (missing Bridgeport entry from the New Game dropdown list) is before or after the reinstall? Or do you mean Bridgeport appears missing because the screen is messed up? Can we have a screenshot of this New Game screen with the dropdown worlds list?

If after all the above FAQs, there's still glitches, means it is hardware-related due to the outage, so we need to see specs.
You don't have graphical glitches when not running Sims? What other games do you play? I'm trying to determine if there are other resource-intensive games or Sims 3 is the most "heavy".
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st May 2012 at 6:13 AM Last edited by IcefoxAxel : 1st May 2012 at 6:52 AM.
Okay, I believe I said that wrong earlier. English is not my native language, so I sometimes phrase things wrong. I meant I had yet to try other games, but I hadn't expected that to be the problem. I ran Skyrim just now to test my new theory, and it turns out that the power outage caused my graphics driver update to mess up.

Also, it isn't that Bridgeport wasn't on the new game menu or anything. I could load into all save files, and create new cities in all of the cities I have in my game. When I would load into the map, there would be stretched textures all over the place. However, after seeing the world messed up in Skyrim, too, it made me wonder if the graphics card wasn't the problem.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#4 Old 1st May 2012 at 6:18 AM
Don't forget to redownload and reinstall DirectX, too.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st May 2012 at 7:04 AM
Come ho potuto essere così stupida...

Well, it turns out that the update was the problem after all. It's a shame that it took two days and a tantrum to find it, but at least the solution was found. It seems like many people are having trouble with Catalyst v12.4

Either way, it was simply the driver at fault. I didn't know how to reinstall DirectX, so I didn't bother with it. I thought, if it's that important to solve the problem, I'll figure that out when the problem hasn't be fixed yet. I have no problems anymore, though. It appears to have all been the fault of the new driver. Way to go, AMD...

So, I suggest no one upgrade to that driver. It causes many issues, including broken rendering. At least I don't have the AMD termites eating holes in my sims and worlds anymore, though.

Thank you for the help, Ella. If you hadn't mentioned the system information, I never would have remembered that I updated the graphics driver before I had started playing. It didn't effect me until after the power outage, though, because I rarely restart my computer. Not because it takes a long time, but because I'm impatient.

Anyhow, thank you again. I hope that if anyone else stumbles on this problem, they find my solution to be theirs, too. I wouldn't wish that problem on anyone. Now I shall return to Bridgeport, to start my sim on his job as a street musician!