Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Sep 2015 at 8:54 PM
Default Sims on iPad using a Remote Desktop?
Hey. I've been wishing I could play the sims 3 (and 2, for that matter) on my iPad using a Remote Desktop. There is one available (Splashtop 2), but it costs money. Being the cheapskate I am, I decided to ask about your experiences with this kind of thing before taking the plunge. Have you guys had any success (or lack thereof) using a Remote Desktop to play the sims 2 or 3 on your iPad? Thanks.

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
TS3 vs. Your CPU: The Solution
Shameless plug for my fledgeling Simblr here
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 6th Sep 2015 at 9:00 PM
The Sims 2-3 on an iPad!? I didn't even know that was possible
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Sep 2015 at 9:11 PM
Given my luck it probably won't be, but a girl's gotta try...

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 6th Sep 2015 at 9:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AmandieLove
Hey. I've been wishing I could play the sims 3 (and 2, for that matter) on my iPad using a Remote Desktop. There is one available (Splashtop 2), but it costs money. Being the cheapskate I am, I decided to ask about your experiences with this kind of thing before taking the plunge. Have you guys had any success (or lack thereof) using a Remote Desktop to play the sims 2 or 3 on your iPad? Thanks.

I have Splashtop and I usually use it for work. I have tested watching movie from desktop (kinda pointless since I can watch Youtube or Netflix on the device itself) and play some other games. For high fps game it does feel like a slide show with delay input. For TS3 it is somewhat ok. Here is the problem: ipad is built for touch screen. How do you perform key functions like Page Up/Page Down, right click, F1-F3, middle click hold (to rotate camera), etc.... effectively? It can literately drive me nuts. Although I will give it a test and tell you what I think.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Sep 2015 at 9:49 PM
Coming to you live from chrome on my desktop... on my ipad!

I am liking this so far. Civ II test of time works perfectly. TS2 Body Shop is loading. Cannot type well due to being locked in landscape orientation and lack of autocorrect. Will give full report later.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th Sep 2015 at 11:15 PM
My verdict so far:

NOTE FOR ALL GAMES: For some reason, fast moving speeds make the Remote Desktop slow and blurry temporarily. A FPS limiter would be a wise investment of time if you want to play games on iPad. Also, the games seem slower than their PC counterparts, so limiting your CC would be advised if you go this route.

-----

Sims 2 Body Shop: Works well. I can access everything and create sims. They look quite pixelated compared to the PC but I attribute that to screen size.

Sims 2: Works ok, but some issues.
1. No arrow keys available. To right click, you press and hold your finger to the screen, so I use right clicking to maneuver the game.
2. The available screen is very small when you play in windowed mode. (For future tests I would switch to full screen mode.) It is extremely hard to rotate the screen due to how close that button is to the task bar, but full screen mode may alleviate this.
3. Placing ground objects is easy. Placing wallpaper is a bit harder when you want to cover a whole room, but still doable. I forgot to test flooring. Wall objects (like paintings) are a major pain in the butt to get in the right position. Don't even think about trying to AL-shift them.

Sims 3: Hoooo boy, did I have some problems with THIS one.
Attempt 1: I realize it's in windowed mode. Given the problems windowed mode in TS2 game me I tried to close the window. It crashed in the process.
Attempt 2: TS3 gets to the main menu. I went into settings to try to switch to full screen mode and it froze. I had to go into task manager to get it to close.
Attempts 3 and 4: I get this lovely little nastygram:
"Unable to start game. Service initiation failed (0x0175d824)."
I think that error came from the crash, so I restarted my PC and my Remote Desktop and will likely try again soon.

-----

SPEC NOTES: I am doing these tests on an iPad mini 2 running iOS 8 connecting to a laptop running Windows 8.1 pro. Because everyone has different specs, your mileage WILL vary. I have no access to other devices to test with (not counting my iPhone 4 because if my iPad screen is barely big enough that thing is shot for sims.)

Question: Any way to force TS3 to open in full screen through a code in the shortcut (like -w added to TS2's shortcut runs the game in windowed mode?) Thank you.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 6th Sep 2015 at 11:44 PM
Ok, DO NOT try to run TS3 on iPad. I've managed to get it to crash 24/7 now, even when I remove all my user files! I hope SuckyRom didn't think I was doing anything fishy and block it...

EDIT: It still runs on my laptop. I guess I just can't play TS3 on iPad. But if that's so when why did it right to the main screen the first time?

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#10 Old 6th Sep 2015 at 11:46 PM
Thank you. Given the errors above though, I basically consider TS3 and iPad to be incompatible.

Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 7th Sep 2015 at 12:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AmandieLove
Thank you. Given the errors above though, I basically consider TS3 and iPad to be incompatible.

What was your error? I used Splashtop 2 to connect to my desktop. It runs rather well. TS3 responded to the pinch as zoom in and zoom out. I was able to left click and right click. It worked better than I expected. One problem: clicking precisely on certain objects can be a pain sometimes. Overall I would be able to do what I can do on desktop. It is just not as pleasant because of the control and the frame rate.

I still didnt figure out how to do Page Up/Down and Home/End.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#12 Old 7th Sep 2015 at 2:25 AM
@tomomi1922

My error for TS3 was "Unable to start game. Service initiation failed (0x0175d824)"

And now TS2 has quit working on the iPad because it "doesn't have a Directx 9.0 compatible graphics adapter!" But if that's the case then how did it run TS2 earlier? So confused, but so tired.

And I just spent 2 hours making a minimum-CC configuration for my iPad to find it not working! UGH!!

Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 7th Sep 2015 at 10:29 AM
You do understand the games are not running on Ipad right? They run on your PC. Splashtop is simply mirroring your screen and translating your input as if you are using a keyboard and mouse. Once again, you are running your game on PC, not Ipad.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#14 Old 7th Sep 2015 at 4:21 PM Last edited by AmandieLove : 8th Sep 2015 at 1:16 AM.
I'm not using Splashtop, I'm using Microsoft's RD client. At first it was working but then it up and decided that my games can't play on my iPad. That confuses me because I thought the PC was doing the rendering too, but if I can't play games on it that I can play on the PC itself just fine, I guess not.

Also, @tomomi1922 do you use any of the subscription-based add-ons for Splashpad? Or just the base, one-time $5 purchase version? Since they work well for you I am considering buying it. Also, what iPad model do you have?

EDIT: I looked up the iPad mini 2's graphics card specs and they say it supports DirectX 10. So why did TS2 say that I need a DirectX 9 capable graphics card?
(http://www.notebookcheck.net/Imagin...0.110717.0.html)

Edit: Don't worry about it. I didn't finish my work I procrastinated with sims on all of this 3-day weekend (thanks to Labor Day) so I will take below a 100 on a completion-based assignment. Very pitiful. So basically I need easier access to the game like I need a hole in the head. So I should probably abandon my project to get TS2/3 on iPad since I'm scared to death to even open the lid of my laptop now...

Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 10th Sep 2015 at 5:27 AM
Splashtop 2 only works within LAN for free. So I pay $2 a month so I can access my computer from anywhere in the world with internet (usually just around the city to be honest). It has to do with needing to access my computers to do something, like sending out a file from my computer.

Anyway, I no longer has an iPad, but I can still do fine with my Android phone and iphone 5. I would recommend using Splashtop over Microsfot's RD client.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#16 Old 15th Sep 2015 at 8:49 PM Last edited by AmandieLove : 16th Sep 2015 at 12:54 AM.
Hate to gravedig my own thread but I'm glad I don't have to buy extra features to get the game itself working if I only plan to use it to play on my iPad at home. So I may try that...

But I also got a license for Cybele's Thinfinity Remote Desktop (which is flash based and can run in Puffin Browser.) A 1-person license is free, so I will try that first... I really have too much to pay for at the moment to pay $5.

Goodbye GPA, hardly knew ye.

Edit: No matter what I do I always get Invalid Credentials. Even though they're not... Guess I'm too much of a n00b for this. For all this time I could just ACTUALLY PLAY THE SIMS... Lol