Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#176 Old 23rd Feb 2011 at 6:34 PM
It could potentially be a new partner/spouse. If you look at the pics I have posted for the round photo, it's about adapting space that wasn't functional to the way your familly "really" lives to something more usefull. (Although, personally I'd have extended the den/office out to the same depth as the family room addition so there is guest bedroom potential too)

As to being EBIL!!! (heh heh heh!!!) if you look back at the previous contests I've done, they are all very twisty . To give you a hint of how twisty the idea is, try to imagine designing in one round for the unexpected of the next. Like having to fit round three needs into round two space. (well, maybe a small addition). EBIL!!!!

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#177 Old 23rd Feb 2011 at 8:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kattenijin
using 10% more of your current tile count

Is that 10% more than the tiles for the round or the tiles we used for the round? Either way I have no idea how many it is, I can't count in %. How close to the original house does it have to stay? Is it ok to keep some parts exactly the same and do a complete makeover on other parts?
Scholar
Original Poster
#178 Old 23rd Feb 2011 at 8:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sulyuki
Is that 10% more than the tiles for the round or the tiles we used for the round? Either way I have no idea how many it is, I can't count in %. How close to the original house does it have to stay? Is it ok to keep some parts exactly the same and do a complete makeover on other parts?

10% more than you used. For most of you, this will be 204 tiles including the additional 10%, I think only Cloudburst and Hotaru used less tiles last round.

Field Researcher
#179 Old 24th Feb 2011 at 1:52 PM
*Stares* So... My computer is in the shop and right now there is a 50/50 chance that when it comes back it will be wiped... If the horrible happens... Can I attempt remaking one of my homes in the same design? Or is that gonna be a no no? Because if everything is wiped all I'll have to go by is what I posted here... Either way, I'm gonna post something. I have come to far! Lolz!

Oh and I do Georgia math (Yeah, below the Mason Dixon Line is a scary place)... So I'm guessing... (.1 * number of tiles used) + number of tiles used = what we have to use this round? I'm pretty sure I'm right but just in case...

And never again, and never again...They gave us two shots to the back of the head... And we're all dead now...
Scholar
Original Poster
#180 Old 24th Feb 2011 at 10:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hotaru801
*Stares* So... My computer is in the shop and right now there is a 50/50 chance that when it comes back it will be wiped... If the horrible happens... Can I attempt remaking one of my homes in the same design? Or is that gonna be a no no? Because if everything is wiped all I'll have to go by is what I posted here... Either way, I'm gonna post something. I have come to far! Lolz!

Oh and I do Georgia math (Yeah, below the Mason Dixon Line is a scary place)... So I'm guessing... (.1 * number of tiles used) + number of tiles used = what we have to use this round? I'm pretty sure I'm right but just in case...

Eww!! I hate when my comp is in the shop. I would try to re-create as best able from the pics you've posted. Minor discrepencies can be hidden by your re-design. They must be doing something right down there, you got the math right.

I've been in the shop myself today, 4 hours at the dentist, plus 1 hour travel each way, ugh!

Field Researcher
#181 Old 25th Feb 2011 at 3:52 AM
My Round 3 scores are in. Woo! :lovestruc

There's at least one house in this lot that I actively want to download once the contest is over .

(Ancient) Sims 2 stories | Adventurous, Bookworm, Eco-Friendly, Genius, Over-Emotional
Inventor
#182 Old 25th Feb 2011 at 10:55 AM
For me there is more than one that I want to download. You all set up your game a notch this round.

I have a busy day today, but my scores will be in later tonight... need to type out the paper notes I did yesterday and send them off.
Mad Poster
#183 Old 25th Feb 2011 at 1:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by baratron
There's at least one house in this lot that I actively want to download once the contest is over .

Quote: Originally posted by appelsapgodin
For me there is more than one that I want to download. You all set up your game a notch this round.

Agreed! There are one or two from this round I'd quite like to see available for upload, and about half a dozen I'd consider downloading from the entire contest so far.

(and obviously I'm quite fond of mine too!) :-D
Inventor
#184 Old 25th Feb 2011 at 6:58 PM
My scores are in. Good luck to you all.
Scholar
Original Poster
#185 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 5:55 PM
Default Round 3 scores
Scores!
  • Lauratje86
    This is a lovely set of apartments. I would certainly download this from the site. However that is not a complete positive. This house is so downloadable because it lacks a little personality which would make it easy to adapt it for one of my own families. (Something I like as a downloader, but not as a judge.) It would have been nice if you’d added some curtains or rugs. Just a little extra. All comments aside: you did a great job on this one. I love the style of the house and adore the wall with the masks.

Yay, a terraced house! (I miss those in Sims 3). This house is simple, classic, and seems deceptively spacious. The garden is lovely. However, I felt there weren't enough traces of the personalities of either the original couple or the eldest child and partner who have moved in with them. I also felt that with this room layout, there is potential for the warring grandmas to meet on the upstairs landing, get into an argument ("She got a bigger room than me, and I'm here to LIVE whereas SHE's just VISITING."), and cause the baby to start screaming!

I love the idea of row houses, and I love to see that you added houses to either side just to finish the look. You should try a different inside style; some lighter, cleaner colors probably would have fit the interior a bit better. Some items were hard to find and I missed them several times. You also seem to be missing items.

Total 1: 75
    Total 2: 72
    Total 3: 80
    Average: 75.66
  • sandymdh
    This house is a bit crammed, but a joy to look at. I think you really did a great job at making this house suited for the family that is described in the contest. I really like the basement. Love the bedrooms. The fulness and mix and match madness of the house really suits the crazy family. I do wish you could have given a bit of your personality and chaos to the other contestants, and turned it a slight bit down on your own, that would have balanced out all the entries into perfection.

This is a really brave house design, using so many extra squares and building cheats to create the bedsits. Hooray for basement windows! Logical room layout with all personalities catered for. I did feel that the décor within each bedsit clashes horribly, but this was perhaps intentional, giving the impression of items salvaged from previous homes? I love the study, and am amused that the college kid's room has relatively few books and CDs, as if most have been taken to college.

Such a cute house. I like the small rooms and how they each have their own personality. Very nice. I love how you continued the story

Total 1: 82
    Total 2: 83
    Total 3: 76
    Average: 80.33
  • wickedblue
    Pretty. Clean. Well thought out design. Maybe a little too perfect for my taste. (I would have liked if sandymdh had given you a little spark of chaos.) Give it just a little more personality with clutter. I would certainly download this house, though. As I said above to Lauratje86 too, I look at a house differently as a judge than a player. Great entry, nontheless. Good job again.

I really love this house and its garden. The college kid's room and nursery are both awesome – very well decorated, and there was a strong sense of all of the personalities except for travelling granny. The house feels real and lived-in. Really, my only criticisms are that the parents of the baby's bedroom should be next to the nursery, and a double-width upstairs landing might prevent the inevitable sim blockage once the seven adults have visitors over. Other than that, very well done.

This is a very lovely house. I love the exterior as well as the warm tones on the inside. It had a nice lived in feel and every room did have its own personality. If your pictures would have been zoomed in a bit more and a bit clearer, that might have improved your score.

Total 1: 76
    Total 2: 86
    Total 3: 85
    Average: 82.33
  • Sulyuki
    Lovely house too this one. Missing a slight bit of personality here and there maybe. I would certainly download this one too. As I said before, this is not really the best opinion I can have as a judge because that does mean I think your house has the kind of blandness that would make it easy for me to personalise it to my game and family without too much trouble. Anyway, I do think you build a gorgeous house with a beachy-feel to it. Very light and clean and pretty. A little clutter would have made it just a little better. Good job.

This is an interesting house built in an attractive location. I like the idea of the sunroom, and the nursery is great. However, I really don't like the lack of windows along one side of the basement, or the long walk outside needed to get from the basement to the upstairs living area. Even in a place with perfect weather, it would be annoying to have to do that multiple times per day! I also thought the bedrooms are in a strange order - shouldn't the parents of the baby be next to the nursery? It feels like a show home – there aren't enough traces of the occupants' personalities.

I like the beach theme, its cute and I love the sun porch, but the Victorian living and dining didn’t really seem to match with the sea/lake side theme. The house looked lived in but not overly cluttered. You were missing items.

Total 1: 78
    Total 2: 62
    Total 3: 55
    Average: 65
  • hotaru801
    What a cute little barn. I really like the exterior in this entry too, it looks authentic. I’m not too sure if the inside of the house has been build at its most practical, the space isn’t used to full advantage imho. Creative design, though. I do think you accounted for all familymembers and their different personalities and I can really see you tried to give every room its own uniqueness and identity.

Nice theming, and I love the orchard! Having so many people living in the house, not all of whom have jobs, the sims will need to save money - so being able to grow their own crops is useful. Logical room layout with all personalities catered for. However, one bookcase appears to be missing, and I'd have preferred only 2 photos of the outside, so that another of the 8 photos could be used for clear shots of the inside, without such wide-angles. I felt that some of the patterns on wallpaper etc. were too intense for the size of the rooms, which made me feel claustrophobic in combination with the lack of windows. Consider using building cheats?

I love the barn, looks wonderful! I don't want to say the rooms are cluttered, but I will say they are a bit busy. It takes away from the room when you have to look at all the patterns and designs. I think you are missing a bookcase.

Total 1: 76
    Total 2: 75
    Total 3: 82
    Average: 77.66
  • Cloudburst
    I like to give extra attention to the outside of your house. I think it is beautiful. Lovely combination with the bricks and woodwork. I wouldn’t mind living there myself. You really came back into the game with this entry after a dissapointing round 2. I don’t think the crib by the bed is weird either, it’s an elegant solution in a full household. I do think the house would have gotten just that little extra personality with a rug or plant in the interior here and there. Good job on the whole.

The outside of this house is visually very interesting. I rather like houses which use the same flooring continuously – it seems more realistic somehow. However, there are some odd structural defects. There are two holes in the upstairs floor that you can see through! And neither of the curtains chosen lines up with the windows: the upstairs curtains don't cover the top of the windows so light would shine through (if they were real), and the downstairs curtains are out of alignment horizontally. It is also an odd choice to have only one double bed in a house with two couples. I could not tell who was supposed to have which bedroom.

The house was very pretty, I liked the very warm feeling to the interior and the style was consistent throughout. I’m very happy you rechecked your items. It really improved your score and the closer, clearer, interior shots earned you a few more. Great job!

Total 1: 83
    Total 2: 58
    Total 3: 79
    Average: 73.33
The top three scores for this round are:

#3: hotaru801 77.66
#2: sandymdh 80.33
#1: Wickedblue 82.33

Congradulations to you all!

Mad Poster
#186 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 6:21 PM
Thanks for the comments :-D

My basic idea behind the house was that the original sim & spouse had bought the house for themselves, decorated the kitchen/diner and master bedroom in black/red according to their tastes (like their Round 2 house), but then had to add an extension (Wild-Grandma's room/bathroom) and decorate the rest of the house to suit the unexpected extra household members rather than being able to have the entire house to their tastes.

Unfortunately rugs (bigger than 2 by 1 tiles) don't place right in my game, no idea why! :-( It's a shame, I used to use loads of rungs but now I can't because they look really weird. I agree about the curtains though - I never use curtains normally so I forgot to put them in, and when I noticed it was too late to change it. My Round 4 house will have curtains though! :-D

Was the visiting grandma's room bigger? I had it down as being smaller, or at least less personalised so it could be used as a general bedroom when she left.

May I also ask which items judge 3 thought were missing, if I lost points for them, as I did check very thoroughly. There was some debate (between me and Vampy) as to whether or not I needed to have 8 chairs with a 3 tile table or if 7 was ok, but other than that I think that everything was there.....

Thanks again for the scores/comments, I'm working on my Round 4 rebuild now - having laptop and game issues so it's taking a while - grrrrr.....! Should be done on time though!
Lab Assistant
#187 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 6:23 PM
What items did I miss?
Scholar
Original Poster
#188 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 6:55 PM
lauratje86: dresser and toddler skill object.

Sulyuki: changing table and a nightstand.

There was quite a bit of cross-pm-ing about objects, where they were and what they were. If we can't tell that item "x" is item "x", with 4 pairs of eyes looking...

Any lost points for missing items that may actually be there, if applied to scores, would not change the outcome in any significant manner.

Mad Poster
#189 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 7:22 PM
lauratje86: dresser and toddler skill object.

Any lost points for missing items that may actually be there, if applied to scores, would not change the outcome in any significant manner.

I'm not doing this for the scores! As far as I'm aware, the only way I could win would be if nobody else posts an entry for Round 4! :-D And I like seeing people's houses, so I hope that doesn't happen!

I did write out where all the objects were that I thought you guys may have trouble spotting, as quoted below, with the bits about the dresser and toddler toys in bold. This was to make it easier for you all to find everything, as I worked hard and put lots of time and effort into including all the required objects and didn't want them to be overlooked! If people (like me) are using cc and objects from lesser-used EP's and SP's is could be easy for you and the judges to miss something, or think that it's something else!

As someone posted previously (maybe wickedblue?) - it's not about the scores as much as having our efforts recognised! Getting a slightly higher score for not having missed any items may not change the ranking, but it will make me happier to know that the score really reflects my house.

Quote: Originally posted by lauratje86
Everything else is there, I think. I'm not sure if anything else is hard to spot, but I figured that there were a couple of things that people may not notice. Firstly, there are three bookcases - one in the kitchen/diner, one in the living room and one on the upstairs landing, which isn't shown in the collages. There are three dressers; one in each of the double rooms, and one in Boring-Grandma's room (the larger of the upstairs single rooms). They are all single-tile dressers, two from the Ikea SP and one custom one (the pine one in the red/black master bedroom). There are also 2 toddler toys - one in the downstairs hallway (the rabbit head) and one in the kitchen next to the highchair (a custom one, looks like a pile of pots and pans and works like a musical instrument, for Creativity). The fridge isn't next to the rest of the kitchen stuff, it's on the opposite side of the room, next to the bathroom wall and the door to Crazy-Grandma's room. The potty is the yellow blob on the upstairs landing. The sideboard is also on the upstairs landing, with plants and towels and stuff on it. It's visible in one of the Living Room collage pictures - the one with all the mirrors on the wall. I think that everything else is fairly obvious. I have checked about a dozen times to make sure everything is there, so judges, if you think anything's missing please let me know so I can tell you where it is! :-)
Field Researcher
#190 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 8:34 PM
Here is my entry for the final round. Which house I picked was an absolute no-brainer for me as I would have loved to have used the inaccessible space in the upper converted church house before but was limited by tiles. I think I am either spot on with tiles or maybe 1 tile over but you'll see that I was guided by the space available.
As it has been several years since my couple lived in this house some items have inevitably been replaced and some of the rooms redecorated. I have tried to tone down the colours and clutter a bit in this one (I blame the fact I live in a brand new house and in the UK this means it's cream/magnolia throughout which is probably why my Sims' houses are so colourful)! My couple are heading towards retirement and cutting down on their working hours so have given up the exercise machine and moved to lower impact activities, Mum has taken over the teenager's room for her painting and sewing hobbies and Dad has created a music room out of the previously inaccessible area in the upper front of the home. Some pictures are the same - the exterior ones anyway as no exterior addition has been made.
Here are the pics;

Front View

Ground Floor

First Floor

I have been saving my recently created houses for the world I'm making but I am making a CC free version of this with a cellar which I will probably upload if people want it. Maybe the boat too though it is on a weirdly sized lot.
I also want to thank Kattenijin and all those who have given up their time to judge for such a fun contest :-)
Lab Assistant
#191 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 10:42 PM
Sulyuki: changing table and a nightstand.
There are no changing tables in TS3, I assumed we were still suppose to replace it with a two tile dresser. There are four dressers that are clearly visible in the pictures.

All four nightstands are showing more or less in the floor plan pictures. Two are also easy to see in the other pictures. The only ones you could have missed is the one in the sun room, which is in the corner of the picture. And the one in the bedroom with a double bed and a love seat. That one is showing a little bit in the corner of the picture of that room, and is quite visible in the floor plan picture.

I thought I pointed out anything that would be hard to see, apparently I wasn't clear enough. Not that I have a chance anyway, I'm going to get the lowest score of the ones that did all rounds. That is if I manage to do this one, it's not going very well.
Field Researcher
#192 Old 27th Feb 2011 at 2:11 AM
I am gonna ask earlier than normal for an extension into Tuesday... I am supposed to get my computer back on Monday, but if I don't I will have to attempt to re-download sims 3 on another computer and remake one of my homes minus cc... so yeah... But if I can post it before midnight it will be posted before midnight on Monday...

And never again, and never again...They gave us two shots to the back of the head... And we're all dead now...
Scholar
Original Poster
#193 Old 27th Feb 2011 at 6:29 AM Last edited by kattenijin : 27th Feb 2011 at 6:39 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by hotaru801
I am gonna ask earlier than normal for an extension into Tuesday... I am supposed to get my computer back on Monday, but if I don't I will have to attempt to re-download sims 3 on another computer and remake one of my homes minus cc... so yeah... But if I can post it before midnight it will be posted before midnight on Monday...

The normal end of the round is Tuesday, March 1st at 12pm GMT-5. I've forgotten to change that in the first post. We got an extension due to all the downtime MTS had.

Sulyuki:Even after adding in the extra points for missing furniture, your average score for the round only goes up two points. I think you are too focused on the wrong issue, kind of like when people were focused on getting the tile bonus points, but loosing more points in other areas than they gained through being under the tile count.

Inventor
#194 Old 27th Feb 2011 at 11:09 AM
I gave everyone the benefit of the doubt when judging and didn't take of any points for missing objects if I saw something that could vaguely replace the object that was missing.
Which meant that I didn't take of any points for it with any contestant.
Mad Poster
#195 Old 28th Feb 2011 at 11:42 PM Last edited by lauratje86 : 1st Mar 2011 at 5:44 PM.
Default Lauratje86 - Round 4
Cathy Jones wanders through her newly renovated home. It had been a very strange and upsetting year! When she and husband Rob moved in, it seemed like it was going to be their dream retirement home; spacious and in a wonderful location. But before long the phone was ringing, and they ended up with rather more people living there than they'd expected! Even so, they'd settled in nicely, and everyone had managed to get along - just.

But then Rob's Mum, Elizabeth, was taken ill and passed away aged 86. Rob went off the rails a bit after that. It was understandable that he was upset. But still, what he did..... And what she did..... Because Rob had had an affair....with Cathy's Mum Wanda! After Cathy found out there was a massive row, involving the entire household. Rob and Wanda moved out, deciding that they would go and live in Twikkii Island. Before he left, Rob and Cathy signed the divorce papers, leaving the house to her.

Not long after that Anna and Marcus, Cathy and Rob's daughter and son-in-law also moved out - their young son James was growing up fast, and Anna was expecting again. Son Nick was already living with friends, and when Ian graduated from college he too chose to live with friends. So Cathy was the only one in the house, left remembering the marriage she'd had, and the family that didn't seem to need her anymore.

But she turned her life around! After taking early retirement she hired an interior designer to help her completely redesign the house, even buying extra land to extend the garden! They settled on light, freash colours, green and white, with some yellow "features". And they chose to "bring the outside in" by filling the house with plants. Towards the end of the renovation Cathy was looking for artworks for the walls, and she met young artist Elena Jacoba. Much to her surprise they fell in love, and just a couple of weeks ago Elena moved in with Cathy, bringing her cat Kira with her!

So now the house is full of art, and plants, and calm colours. The living room is comfy and pleasant, the kitchen is calm and functional, though it doesn't get used often as Cathy and Elena both hate cooking! The master suite is spacious and has plenty of storage space, and the guest suite has plenty of room for anyone who comes to visit. The sun room is the highlight of the house - light and full of plants, with beautiful views over the garden. Cathy has taken up pottery, and is writing her first novel - after reading hundreds of books to gain inspiration! Elena has space to do her paintings, and swims in the swimming pool in the back garden every morning, and her artworks hang in almost every room. And Kira? Well, Kira's life is pretty good too!

Cathy smiles to herself. Things turned out well after all. After everything that she's been through in the last year, her house once again feels like home.......

External View:

Aerial View - Ground Floor:

Aerial View - First Floor:

Collages:

**EDIT** Tiles! I forgot about tiles! I think I am 2, maybe 3, over. I used extra tiles to extend the extension and add the first floor (second floor for you Americans!) extension. As you can see, it would've looked weird without the extra 2/3 tiles as the two floors would've been different sizes..... I hope that's ok!
Inventor
#196 Old 1st Mar 2011 at 3:33 AM
Original Couple left the new modern home to their children so they could retreat back to the familiar comfort of their farmhouse but first, some renovations had to be done.

Starting with a fresh coat of paint on the outside:

Some walls were knocked down and others were added:

New furnishings and converting the teen's room into a larger, private office:

The child room/nursery was expanded and converted into a guest room ready for a visitor:

Master Bedroom got a bit of a makeover too:

Perfect for a couple to spend the rest of their days. In peace.

I originally used the full 138 tiles on this house so 14 tiles were added this round.

kittens!
Lab Assistant
#197 Old 1st Mar 2011 at 10:54 PM
I moved the house to a slope with the best view I could find. I'm trying for Victorian btw. Last time it was 169 tiles, so I added 17 tiles.

Exterior.
Upper floor.
Bottom floor.
Bedroom, bathroom and casual living/study.
Dining room/living room and sunroom.
Master bedroom.
Garden.

I accidentally killed a Sim while testing the lot, It was only the second playable TS3 Sim to die. It took me about a week or two to kill the first one.
Field Researcher
#198 Old 2nd Mar 2011 at 12:40 AM
I won't be able to make it for this round. I just got my computer back and it is gonna take longer than expected to have the game up and running. I might have everything reinstalled by midnight... I would have to work until the wee hours of the morning... *sigh*

Scholar
Original Poster
#199 Old 2nd Mar 2011 at 3:03 AM
If I could give an extension, I would. As it stands, we're pretty much maxed out. I guess thet we just need Cloudburst's entry to complete the round; which closes in two hours. If anyone feels a sudden need for any last-minute changes, you'd better do them now!

Scholar
Original Poster
#200 Old 2nd Mar 2011 at 4:58 AM
Round 4 and the contest are now closed!

I'll pm the judges in the morning; round 4 and final scores will be up by Friday night I hope. Good luck everyone!

Page 8 of 9