Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jul 2016 at 5:51 PM Last edited by Rohern : 6th Jul 2016 at 12:00 PM.
Default Custom Skin Clipping in game, help! [Solution found]
OKAY SO. I am experiencing a reallyyy annoying issue. I'm currently working on a skin-blend however when I import it into sims 2 to see how it looks in CAS I get clipping galore. I've checked the textures format, checked installed graphics mods, even tried re-exporting and putting the textures on a different skin file to no avail. It also doesn't matter what clothing item or hair I use. Ive checked the rest of my skins and they are all functioning fine, its just the projects I import from bodyshop.

This is whats happening-

If anyone is willing to test it out in their game I would be forever grateful, as it might just be an issue with my game and the project file is fully functional. You can download the test package here.

Thankyou in advance if you decide to try and help!

Just incase it helps,
I do have milkshape and SimPE so if any of you an alternative way to import through those programs, or know of any interference you get by previewing your textures in milkshape before you import them let me know. Im new-ish to this whole thing, ive been texturing skins and the like for a fair while but only just now started doing so with the intention of publishing anywhere.

ALSO so sorry if this is the wrong forum just let me know
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 4th Jul 2016 at 7:12 PM
Does the face texture have a bumpmap? If so, then it could be messing things up. That's the only thing I can think of, based on your pictures (I've seen similar things happen with some clothing when it has a bumpmap).

Hopefully someone else will have some other ideas!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Jul 2016 at 7:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fakepeeps7
Does the face texture have a bumpmap? If so, then it could be messing things up. That's the only thing I can think of, based on your pictures (I've seen similar things happen with some clothing when it has a bumpmap).

Hopefully someone else will have some other ideas!

Hmm what is a bumpmap haha? Do you mean like an alpha? I dont think it does. I saved it at a 24 bit bitmap thats all. But I have said that it can screw things up? Weird that it would affect skins though, unless somehow the body mesh gets mixed up for some reason?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 5th Jul 2016 at 9:06 PM
It's not just your game. I get the same weirdness in Body Shop with that one skin, while all the others work normally. Actually, it looks even weirder on my computer because there are all sorts of shadows around the shoulders (I don't know if yours have that or not; I can't see past all the hair).

A bumpmap is the greyish texture in the project files. It was mainly used in the base game, and only for clothes (as far as I know). I don't see any bumpmaps in your file, though, so it's not that. It's also not a setting in SimPE (I checked it against an exported Maxis skin that displays properly... and all the settings are identical).

Did you clone this from a custom skin? If so, that may be what's causing the issue.

All of this leaves us with the textures. The first thing I noticed was that yours are too small. I don't know why, but if you look at a Maxis skin, you'll see that the textures are about twice the size of yours. I upped the size of all the textures (including the blank skintone squares), then swapped all of them out in SimPE using the Build DXT feature. Yes... I swapped all of them, so the elders are going to have lovely skin. (I couldn't figure out which texture was which, and the Instance numbers were no help... so I just did them all.) Here's what I got:

So, in short, it looks like it's because the textures weren't the right size. I'll leave you to fix that however you like (either with Body Shop or SimPE).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Jul 2016 at 5:23 AM Last edited by Rohern : 6th Jul 2016 at 6:45 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by fakepeeps7
It's not just your game. I get the same weirdness in Body Shop with that one skin, while all the others work normally. Actually, it looks even weirder on my computer because there are all sorts of shadows around the shoulders (I don't know if yours have that or not; I can't see past all the hair).

A bumpmap is the greyish texture in the project files. It was mainly used in the base game, and only for clothes (as far as I know). I don't see any bumpmaps in your file, though, so it's not that. It's also not a setting in SimPE (I checked it against an exported Maxis skin that displays properly... and all the settings are identical).

Did you clone this from a custom skin? If so, that may be what's causing the issue.

All of this leaves us with the textures. The first thing I noticed was that yours are too small. I don't know why, but if you look at a Maxis skin, you'll see that the textures are about twice the size of yours. I upped the size of all the textures (including the blank skintone squares), then swapped all of them out in SimPE using the Build DXT feature. Yes... I swapped all of them, so the elders are going to have lovely skin. (I couldn't figure out which texture was which, and the Instance numbers were no help... so I just did them all.) Here's what I got:

So, in short, it looks like it's because the textures weren't the right size. I'll leave you to fix that however you like (either with Body Shop or SimPE).

Awesome, you bloody legend! Thank you so much for figuring that out for me you are my saviour. Im pretty sure I did take the textures originally from another custom skin to use as a base but then put my textures over a maxis extraction, I guess the maxis ones are bigger. Thank you so much again!