Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jul 2016 at 1:28 PM
Default Odd glitch with fences
So I enjoy fencing in a little front yard. When I'd that last I noticed something weird. If you extend the fence from the wall the game thinks you're making a new room. It has the consequence that when you extend the foundation upwards your front yard gets a foundation aswell (which tbf is really weird). The work around I found was to extend the fence to the wall rather than from it. It's an odd glitch I have never seen in a Sims game before.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 29th Jul 2016 at 2:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Craft90
So I enjoy fencing in a little front yard. When I'd that last I noticed something weird. If you extend the fence from the wall the game thinks you're making a new room. It has the consequence that when you extend the foundation upwards your front yard gets a foundation aswell (which tbf is really weird). The work around I found was to extend the fence to the wall rather than from it. It's an odd glitch I have never seen in a Sims game before.

I had an issue when I was fencing in a garden. I couldn't expand the sides all at once, I had to do the side wall, then the front and back walls Rooms can be done all at once, but for some reason fences are different
Mad Poster
#3 Old 29th Jul 2016 at 4:55 PM
That's not a bug, that's a design choice. The assumption is that the player wishes to extend the foundation with a fence, since foundations can support fences.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Forum Resident
#4 Old 29th Jul 2016 at 6:18 PM
The stupid thing is that you cant put an interior fence without a foundation.

When an engineer says that something can't be done, it's a code phrase that means it's not fun to do.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 30th Jul 2016 at 1:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lodakai

That is really dumb Of course, I still have issues with the fact that I can't pick and choose what has a foundation and what doesn't I like using foundations on pools, patios, and decks, but not on houses
Mad Poster
#6 Old 30th Jul 2016 at 2:11 AM
I should be mostly easy to implement terrain-only rooms. They just need to tell the engine that one thing is separate from something else.

Then again, I don't know what their code looks like. It's the same engine that doesn't allow for lined at cash registers, but whatever.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Forum Resident
#7 Old 30th Jul 2016 at 2:39 AM
Pools? Pools can't exist... they said over and over that pools were impossible to code into their game. Oh wait...

When an engineer says that something can't be done, it's a code phrase that means it's not fun to do.
Instructor
#8 Old 30th Jul 2016 at 2:25 PM

Wanted to try this out right away out of curiosity, and I managed to place an interior fence without a foundation inside a house (read: box of walls) with a foundation. You just have to make sure you point and drag towards the walls instead of from them, just like OP stated.

Forum Resident
#9 Old 30th Jul 2016 at 6:17 PM Last edited by Lodakai : 30th Jul 2016 at 7:05 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Mimoliin
Wanted to try this out right away out of curiosity, and I managed to place an interior fence without a foundation inside a house (read: box of walls) with a foundation. You just have to make sure you point and drag towards the walls instead of from them, just like OP stated.

That only works because you glitched the house. You used a balcony creator on the interior (this makes it think it is an exterior area).
OR removed a room that existed in the empty area.. (also making it think it is exterior)
This causes a lot of wonkiness with the house later on.

If you simply make a room... and remove the floor... you will see what I mean.
Incidentally... glitching the house like that also lets you create interior fountains.
(This will cause a few buggy reactions in building and game behavior later though)

Instructor
#10 Old 31st Jul 2016 at 1:27 AM
That only works because you glitched the house. You used a balcony creator on the interior (this makes it think it is an exterior area).
OR removed a room that existed in the empty area.. (also making it think it is exterior)
This causes a lot of wonkiness with the house later on.

If you simply make a room... and remove the floor... you will see what I mean.
Incidentally... glitching the house like that also lets you create interior fountains.
(This will cause a few buggy reactions in building and game behavior later though)

Yeah, you're right.

What I did was, I made two adjacent rooms, removed the floor from one of the rooms and then deleted the wall that separated the rooms from each other. Removing the separating wall is what makes it possible to put non-foundation fences inside the no-floor room, but it also removes the room "tag" (and roofing) from it, thus breaking its function as a room. The non-floored (non-)room is surrounded by the adjacent room on one of the sides, but on the other three sides are simply three stand-alone walls that aren't smart enough not to realize they're actually conjoined.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 31st Jul 2016 at 7:46 AM
If you mess with it.. it's still a good way to cheat the system. Especially putting interior fountains. Toss a roof over it and cover it up and you can use it to your advantage. It's only sometimes that the rooms start acting weird by not letting you place furniture in them... but it's rare. And when it happens you just have to reorganize the walls and doors a little. So it's good that you mentioned it Mimoliin =)

dodgy builder
#12 Old 31st Jul 2016 at 11:42 AM
I didn't want to comment on this because I used a low wall to fence the staircase in my last house as I remember, because I didn't want the fence design. It's what I tend to do though. Do things in a different way and it can be solved, it frequently gets me into trouble later on, then I just have to fix those as well. It's a good thing people write about it, because that's often how I sort it out, by googling.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 31st Jul 2016 at 8:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
That's not a bug, that's a design choice. The assumption is that the player wishes to extend the foundation with a fence, since foundations can support fences.

It's kinda stupid tho when you actually want an outside frontyard, not an extended foundation.