Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jul 2016 at 4:25 AM
Theory on how genetics work in Sims 4
I know this might sound kind of crazy, but I think that unlike in real life, the Sims 4 way of choosing the genetics of a child largely depends on the mother's traits. I made some tests, and made two sims. In the first trial the mother had blonde hair and blue eyes, while the father had black hair with black eyes. While still in CAS, I created 5 children via the genetics, I made them all female for it to be consistent. 4 out of 5 were blonde and blue-eyed. In the second trial I switched it around, I made the mother have black hair with brown eyes, and the father have blonde hair and blue eyes. 1/5 or the children had black eyes and 3/5 were black-haired.
Does anyone think this is possible or was it just this one time that it decided to work like this?
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#3 Old 31st Jul 2016 at 7:42 AM
It's a pity how little family lines matter anymore. It's a missed opportunity. They could have passed down things like traits that eventually unlock deeper traits as the family tree expands. Heck even before, doing well in school gave you some extra traits.
Now... you might as well not bother.. because school really doesn't matter.

But I can't really put all the blame on EA or the sims. It's a problem within the entire industry. Simplified "dumbed down" games are now par for the course.

When an engineer says that something can't be done, it's a code phrase that means it's not fun to do.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 31st Jul 2016 at 7:57 PM
To be honest,

Genetics after the Sims 2:

Lots of people just edit their sims after they age up anyways.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 31st Jul 2016 at 8:10 PM
Usually hair color is passed down from the mother's side tho irl.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 31st Jul 2016 at 11:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Craft90
Usually hair color is passed down from the mother's side tho irl.

Um no. Hair color is very complex even the traditional dominant/recessive traits isn't very adequate to explain hair color. Same for skin color too actually.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 12:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CrazyLacey
I know this might sound kind of crazy, but I think that unlike in real life, the Sims 4 way of choosing the genetics of a child largely depends on the mother's traits. I made some tests, and made two sims. In the first trial the mother had blonde hair and blue eyes, while the father had black hair with black eyes. While still in CAS, I created 5 children via the genetics, I made them all female for it to be consistent. 4 out of 5 were blonde and blue-eyed. In the second trial I switched it around, I made the mother have black hair with brown eyes, and the father have blonde hair and blue eyes. 1/5 or the children had black eyes and 3/5 were black-haired.
Does anyone think this is possible or was it just this one time that it decided to work like this?

I personally am a little frustrated with the 'genetics' in game.

Sims 2 may not have made the prettiest combinations of the parents (at times) but at least the child was visibly similar to both mother and father For a red-haired mother with green eyes and a black-haired father with grey eyes, I wound up with three kids with red hair and grey eyes, two children with black hair and green eyes, and one with dark brown hair and blue eyes (which came from her maternal grandfather and paternal grandmother as they each had blue eyes with one having dark brown hair and the other having blonde hair). The child of the oldest daughter had grey eyes and brown hair.

In Sims 4, I created the same couple. However, every child has red hair and their eyes seem to be completely random, varying from blue to purple to brown. I tested it further with a third generation, introducing black hair again to see if that would darken the hair color in the family and brown eyes. The child from that once again had red hair and had black eyes I don't see how the maternal grandparents with green and grey eyes, the paternal grandparents with blue eyes, and the daughter with purple eyes and her husband with brown eyes had a black-eyed child? Not to mention, with varying hair colors in different generations/relatives: red, black, dark brown, blonde, and brown, how every child of the original couple can have red hair? I know I can edit it in CAS but I haven't ever seen a family where every generation has the same color hair. All of the kids born from my original couple have the red hair and so far, all their children do as well, no matter what hair color their other parent has.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 2:33 AM
Genetics SHOULD NOT require a lot of overhead, especially in TS4 where there's a lot less going on. Simplified genetic math is quite easy. A punnet square takes some (very light) work, but details like that requires a designer to actually care about those details.

Genetics are just numbers. Anything genetic related should be possible in TS4 as it was in TS2.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 2:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I didn't actually look at it in detail, perhaps someone from TS2 can come over and comment more. But I remember TS2 genetics is based on the Punnett Square matrix. It isn't simply a whether mom or dad has a dominant/recessive gene, but a complexed genetic model. BB, bb, Bb, etc.. I might be wrong, but I remember reading about it.

It wouldn't surprise me though, TS2 is famed for their attention towards details and also one of the reason TS2 players dislike TS3 is because they focused on the open world at the cost of these sims details. I personally don't mind it all that much except the 10% mutation gene in TS3. It upsets me a family of black hairs can randomly have a blonde kid.

Sims 2 also has proper genetics. If a sim is born with black hair and dyes it blonde, she never gets blonde genetics. Its just hair dye. In 3 (and maybe 4?) whatever color their hair is at the moment is the color they pass on.

They should use The Sims 2 in psychology....it could work wonders.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 2:54 AM
Genetics is not just about hair or eye colour or shape of face though. I am rather amused that my sim founder's belly gets passed down to his sons and grandsons. I must have made my founder from a fat sim in CAS so he has a bit of a belly going on even though he is very fit and muscular. That slight pot belly is my sims' heritage.

By the way, there was a problem in Sims 2 with brown eyes if anyone recalls. I remember having to use a mod to give my sim kids a chance of getting different coloured eyes if one parent had brown eyes. The genetics system was far from perfect.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 2:58 AM
It isn't perfect, but it is certainly the best attempt at genetics in the series. Most of the little flaws can be modded out.

They should use The Sims 2 in psychology....it could work wonders.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 3:34 AM
It wasn't that it was perfect, it's that it was there.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Field Researcher
#14 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 5:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
It wasn't that it was perfect, it's that it was there.

I can see it now, it'll be an upcoming pack: Sims 4: Get Genetics
Field Researcher
#16 Old 4th Aug 2016 at 4:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by audioromance
Um no. Hair color is very complex even the traditional dominant/recessive traits isn't very adequate to explain hair color. Same for skin color too actually.

I know it's really complex. When I made that comment I was making a generalization. Maybe EA used the same generalization.
Scholar
#18 Old 13th Aug 2016 at 11:31 PM
I've noticed that a ample sized bottom can be passed on from father to children. Of my favorite family, all four children have inherited the fathers eyes, 2 have his nose, 2 have his lips, all 4 have his chin. I find the children only slightly better looking in Sims 4 compared to Sims 3. I'm a little annoyed with the eye color inheritance. I know brown is the dominant gene but that doesn't mean its impossible for a brown/blue couple to produce at least ONE blue eyed child! My own mother has blue eyes and her mother had brown!

In my second family that I play, 2 children have the fathers eyes, all three have the mothers nose, 2 have the mothers lips.

My biggest issue with sims genetics has always been how the facial shape can end up so messed up. A son might inherit the mothers jaw shape and fathers cheekbones end up with a really small receding jawline and bizarre jutting cheekbones. Looking awful and requiring a cheat to fix.
Instructor
#19 Old 15th Aug 2016 at 2:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Figlilly
Genetics is not just about hair or eye colour or shape of face though. I am rather amused that my sim founder's belly gets passed down to his sons and grandsons. I must have made my founder from a fat sim in CAS so he has a bit of a belly going on even though he is very fit and muscular. That slight pot belly is my sims' heritage.

By the way, there was a problem in Sims 2 with brown eyes if anyone recalls. I remember having to use a mod to give my sim kids a chance of getting different coloured eyes if one parent had brown eyes. The genetics system was far from perfect.

There is no problem with brown eyes in sims 2. They and dark blue eyes were just made to be dominant over green, grey and light blue eyes like irl. Same as black and brown hair are dominant over red and blonde hair which is exactly the same as irl.
Test Subject
#20 Old 16th Aug 2016 at 3:32 AM
I think it's probably just 50/50, and that was coincidence. I actually don't mind the Sims 4 genetic system, although if they put more effort in to give things recessive/dominant genes or work on a Punnett square system, it would really be something to be proud of.