Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 18th Jan 2009 at 5:49 PM
the only advantage that i can find with store edition is that you dont need the cd
however even then its not that good because my SimPE wont run
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 20th Jan 2009 at 11:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by princessJessica
you can actually download most of the sims games via ea.com obviously you have to pay for them, and they're not as cheap as what they sell for in the shops, however, there is no inconvenience of having to run a cd each and everytime. all you need is to install ea download manager(which it downloads for you(first purchase)). i think you get like a year or so, to re download, just incase you have to reinstall.

ive used this for most of my expansion packs now, and the best part is i can download them as soon as a new expansion pack comes out!! no more having to find time to go to my local games store! i can do it all from the comfort(or not so comfy) computer chair!

so stop doing naughty things! if running a cd is really that much of a problem...do this instead can't help on the money situatuation though!

I think in Australia, you can download ALL the games.
Test Subject
#28 Old 20th Jan 2009 at 11:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jamiesmith123
the only advantage that i can find with store edition is that you dont need the cd
however even then its not that good because my SimPE wont run

LUL suck! I dont do that stuff. Only EA download manager game downloading. Not pay for furni.
Scholar
#29 Old 24th Feb 2009 at 10:38 AM
I downloaded store edition to get the free stuff promised. Uhm, nope, people in the UK, seemingly, can't get the free stuff and can't buy from the store either. I wrote to them and asked why I couldn't download the free stuff. I've got every EP for the game and it hasn't been cheap to buy them. I got a reply saying they can't sell stuff by download to the UK. My reply was "well you managed to sell me all those expansion packs". I didn't get a reply back.

It seems all the free stuff is for folks in Canada and the US only. Very unfair, the rest of the world pay just as much for the games as US gamers.

Don't usually join in the rants but there you go, just adding my tuppence worth, lol
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#30 Old 24th Feb 2009 at 11:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by JaneyW
I got a reply saying they can't sell stuff by download to the UK.

So they could show some goodwill by allowing the UK players to download at least the free stuff. It's not just downloadable stuff the US has stopped selling to the UK. I used to buy various physical things from America, but they won't sell to a UK customer at all any more. I don't actually know whether it is a US or a UK law to blame.

I am wondering if it started when UK began to reject US beef when there was the mad cow disease. I know the President started muttering some sort of trade warning over that. Or was it the other way round...

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#31 Old 24th Feb 2009 at 11:21 AM
You're on the Internet. If you REALLY want to ACTUALLY SPEND MONEY, there's no reason you have to admit to anything that is disadvantageous to you. It's not like anything is being shipped to you, so you can claim to be anywhere that gives you the most advantages. It's not as if truth hasn't always been what is most personally beneficial.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#32 Old 24th Feb 2009 at 5:39 PM
just adding my tuppence worth, lol

How delightfully British If you hadn't told you live in the UK, I had guessed it anyway -

It's not a UK law to blame, imho, because they clearly state on the download page that they can only sell to US and Canada; I don't think that all the other countries in the whole world signed an agreement against EA or the USA

BTW, Italian users can't buy Store stuff, nor download the Store Edition program; but - as Pescado said - you can claim to be American (how do you think I got my Store Edition? ).
If, during the registration, you are asked for a zip code, use the most reknown zip code in the world: Beverly Hills 90210

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#33 Old 24th Feb 2009 at 5:50 PM
What really teed me off is the process let me get as far as downloading and installing the SE software and download manager and choosing the content I wanted to buy, and only gave me the bad news after I entered all my payment details.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
The ModFather
retired moderator
#34 Old 25th Feb 2009 at 1:23 AM
I never entered any payment details, I entirely skipped the credits purchase phase (yes, the "skip" button is very very tiny ), so I jumped directly to the page where I discovered that only US and Canada users were allowed -

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Scholar
#35 Old 25th Feb 2009 at 4:58 AM Last edited by Numenor : 25th Feb 2009 at 8:36 AM. Reason: Merged posts: 2126158, 2126159, 2126161, 2126162, 2126168, 2126170
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
So they could show some goodwill by allowing the UK players to download at least the free stuff. It's not just downloadable stuff the US has stopped selling to the UK. I used to buy various physical things from America, but they won't sell to a UK customer at all any more. I don't actually know whether it is a US or a UK law to blame.

I am wondering if it started when UK began to reject US beef when there was the mad cow disease. I know the President started muttering some sort of trade warning over that. Or was it the other way round...

That's what I said, in fact I put it a bit stronger. I said that if they could sell me the games online with the download manager then why not the free stuff? I also asked them why people in the US and Canada were getting more for their money than us. For some strange reason they didn't reply to that

Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
What really teed me off is the process let me get as far as downloading and installing the SE software and download manager and choosing the content I wanted to buy, and only gave me the bad news after I entered all my payment details.

Yep, me too. Thing is my game is destroyed now and they just won't help me at all. I deleted store and nothing would work. I uninstalled everything and started all over installing in the order they came. I even went into the reg and made sure it was all gone. I have a good backup of my gameplay for when I ever get it back up and running.

When I got to pets, I started to get an error message from runtime saying the product had asked to be closed in an exceptional way. I checked this out and dotnet can cause that so i removed that too and have unindstalled and re installed pets three times tonight. No luck, I think I'm doomed. No point going to their site as it's the blind leading the blind half the time, gpot no replies there at all and tech support just say to reinstall

Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
How delightfully British If you hadn't told you live in the UK, I had guessed it anyway -

It's not a UK law to blame, imho, because they clearly state on the download page that they can only sell to US and Canada; I don't think that all the other countries in the whole world signed an agreement against EA or the USA

BTW, Italian users can't buy Store stuff, nor download the Store Edition program; but - as Pescado said - you can claim to be American (how do you think I got my Store Edition? ).
If, during the registration, you are asked for a zip code, use the most reknown zip code in the world: Beverly Hills 90210

Ugh! I'm Scottish, lol

Never thought of using a fake zip code, have lots of friends in the US who could have given me one too. Lets se if I can sort my tech problems with them first or I might not have a game to play, with or without free stuff.

Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
You're on the Internet. If you REALLY want to ACTUALLY SPEND MONEY, there's no reason you have to admit to anything that is disadvantageous to you. It's not like anything is being shipped to you, so you can claim to be anywhere that gives you the most advantages. It's not as if truth hasn't always been what is most personally beneficial.

But we didn't know till after entering the details, had we been warned then we could have lied

Ok I have an update on the store edition fiasco. I just couldn't get pets to instal after my complete uninstal and reinstal, please see posts above to find out more.

I checked my download manager from EA and lo and behold pets was installed after Store Edition initially. I did an experiment and reinstalled Store edition and there we have it. I installed pets and it's all up and running, no problems at all. It's took me since 6pm last night to 5.20am now to sort this.

My question is? Please give me info if you can. Can someone who has all the expansion packs but NOT the store edition tell me if the guy with the computer comes to everyone's houses and gives them a free computer? I think people who have seen this will get what I'm thinking right away.

how can I make that spelling mistake on so many words there, I need to sleep now.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#36 Old 25th Feb 2009 at 8:48 AM
JaneyW, please don't post 6 replies in a row

Ugh! I'm Scottish, lol

I said "British" (and not "English") as opposite to U.S. Americans would "trow their two cents" rather than "add their tuppence"
I've been to Scotland last summer, and still remember the disgusted face of a woman while handing me - as change after a purchase - a banknote with the Queen's image

As for your last question, "Mr. Humble" is not related to Store Edition; it's a terribly annoying character introduced with Freetime.
And about the order of the expansions, when reinstalling, you should definitely follow the right order:
Base, UNI, NL, OFB, FFS, GLS, PETS, SSN, CEL, H&M, BV, TSS, (STORE), FT, K&B, IKEA, AL, M&G.

Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#37 Old 25th Feb 2009 at 11:04 AM
See, the warned you in advance. Never admit to anything that won't help you...or anything they don't actually need to know! Remember: NEED TO KNOW ONLY. If they're not shipping you anything, they don't need a name, an address, nothing. In fact, resist giving anything on the Internet, or anywhere else, any information. If pressed, make something up! The only thing they can do is continue to refuse you.

Hah, I always do that, too.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Scholar
#38 Old 25th Feb 2009 at 11:34 AM
sorry about the multiple posts, I'm a new posted here having lurked for a while.

Well it does say they can only sel to the US and canada, but the issue I had was that they were able to sell me 8 expansion and stuff packs via the download manager, yet I couldn't get the free stuff, lol.

Thanks so much for your advice on the install, I did do it in order and they are now all installed and working, just copying the back up files over now.

I would like to add that this is the friendliest forum for simming that I've come across and let you know how much we appreciate the ability to come and get advice from you all.
Test Subject
#39 Old 26th Oct 2011 at 4:05 PM
Store Edition made several of my more important Mods stop working! I had to completely uninstall and reinstall my game with out Store Edition to get them working again!
Site Helper
#40 Old 26th Oct 2011 at 4:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kronos9116
Store Edition made several of my more important Mods stop working! I had to completely uninstall and reinstall my game with out Store Edition to get them working again!
The Store Edition uses the Mansion and Garden game engine. Were you using mods which were compatible with that engine?

Installing any EP is likely to break mods which are not compatible with that EP. The Store Edition is no different.
Instructor
#41 Old 16th Dec 2011 at 10:27 PM
I've been using the Store Edition for years now (I live in the Netherlands, so it's available for Europe) and don't have any problems with anything I download/make as long as I keep the compatibility with other EP's and SP's in mind. Just like Mootilda said.
Test Subject
#42 Old 6th Apr 2015 at 4:00 PM
Is Store Edition obsolete now?
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#43 Old 7th Apr 2015 at 1:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MaAlet
Is Store Edition obsolete now?

Yes. EA closed the TS2 Sim Store.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Page 2 of 2